1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Daybreak games shut down in 2 months?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Sweatypie, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Surely they aren't still is using xml data tech?

I mean, I know xml data files are still there (combat etc), but my god that's inefficient.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Everything is XML.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, that clarifies things. Thank you for the info :)

4. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

In some Database Management Systems (DBMS) XML and Structured Query Language (SQL) can be used interchangeably. It also applied to the definitions (schema) for the tables.

5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I take it this was the sort of "future-proofing" they touted when it came out...

The problem with future-proofing is you have to guess what the future will throw at you. Odds are, you'll be wrong...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Future Proofing your own job by making sure nobody else can do it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. stach

stach Member

In my software industry we just call it "Job Security" even if you retire they still hire you back as a contractor because of some the old code base.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I know the same habits are in play elsewhere. Training your own replacement is such a well-known play that the moment the subject gets broached folks put exit planning into high gear.

Of course, sometimes that training is...incomplete...

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Mecah

Mecah New Member

If this is not the truth! Plus they will hire you back, as a contractor, for more money then you originally made because no one else can do the job.

See it every day.

10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 4
  11. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

A lot of the senior developers and early hires were eq, eq2, and planetside devs. There is a lot of SOE at Entrepid.

No need to guess about who has talent and will fit the culture - They already know. I'm sure they are just sitting there cherry picking staff as DBG implodes.

I'm super happy for Entrepid and the DBG peeps landing there.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

One reason why you check your ego at the door and not be a jerk to co-workers, management, and your paying fanbase. Everyone knows everyone in the gaming industry, and no matter how good you are in your field, if you have an attitude, nobody is going to want you as an employee or fellow co-worker (which applies to every job/career out there).

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if any eq franchise engineers or art folks are included in the announced upcoming hiring wave.

I'm 99.99999999999% confident ZERO eq2 designers are on the poach list.

In any case, I'm inclined to believe AOC is getting real close to being fully staffed dev-wise. The window of opportunity is probably closing soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

They've probably got anyone worth getting out of the ruins of the EQ/EQ2 dev staff already...

18. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Some of the more interesting interviews I have been to were not technical ones but ones where management and HR were trying to decide if I would fit in and have a positive team effect. Others had already vouched for my technical expertise.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Shariff is clearly trying to build a culture that is humble, customer focused, transparent, responsive, and cooperative. This is something completely opposite of what the eq2 culture has been since Georgeson.

He's not going to import any cancerous personalities, and I don't think he has to.

I hope the DBG folks landing there really enjoy being a part of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Anyone else but me noticed that the playerstudio forums is more or less dead, and have been for a long time. It is taken over by bots posting links to all kinds of malicious sites. I noticed this about a year ago, and randomly checked now and then, everytime the first page of general discussion is filled with these posts....

So, I guess the support for the "amazing" playerstudio is pretty much gone as well.