1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Daybreak games shut down in 2 months?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Sweatypie, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Hmmm.... if they couldn't release polished games before... how will they pull of eq3 now that they have even less people working. Guess we will find out, or it might just be rumors.

They might try their usual "hype->sell->release half finished product->abandon secretly but promise cool updates soon" trick they are known for.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I'm honestly thinking that report is bunk. They didn't have the resources do do this before the layoffs, and they sure don't have them now.

3. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I blame "dead from the neck up syndrome". :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

They'll probably give us some concept art and remind us every three minutes "You can pre-order now!"

Oh wait....Next/Landmark...

Nevermind, they think we're stupid. They'll do it again.

Edit: the more I think about this idea of a Norrathian, pantheon style battle royale game, I think.....wtf....that's the dumbest idea ever.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

That EQ3 is being worked on is the worst kept secret in the industry. What do you think Holly has been doing all day for the last 2ish years? Lauren was brought in to run EQ and EQ2.

Holly has been trying different ideas to get EQ3 off the ground. In lore and style, it would be a direct sequel along the lines of EQ and EQ2. I hadn't heard the "battle royale" idea but that just sounds ridiculous. Chasing this market because H1Z1 was successful for 14 months makes no sense. I also don't see competing with Pantheon as smart. Pantheon is targeting the hardcore "walked uphill both ways in the snow" MMORPG microniche.

If I were in charge of EQ3, I'd be looking at all the lessons learned from EQ and EQ2. I'd hire SOME of the content designers from those games. I would go outside the company to find my team leads and mechanics folks who will create a 5 year plan for longevity instead of a series of increasingly scattershot band-aid approaches. I'd limit the number of classes, limit the progression paths, and keep it FUN but still more depth than WoW. I'd focus on a modern game engine that is not bleeding edge but still very well-supported and documented.

As far as game features and such, you really have to pick your battles. I would make sure the tools for developing the game are polished enough that a subset of them could be turned loose on decorators as that is a cornerstone of the EQ2 market.

ALL content would scale in level ala ESO. Heroic zones would be tailored to work with 4-6 players. The game would be designed in a way that player interaction ins constant and groups are just a natural thing you fall into. The game would have an excellent Dungeon Finder and Public Quest system. I mean this stuff is not rocket science. Look at all the fun parts of EQ and EQ2 and take out all the parts that aren't fun. Make that game with better graphics. Ashes of Creation is going to shoot itself hard in the foot by requiring PvP. I think EQ3 devs have to take a long hard look at whether PvP is worth it in their MMO environment when AoC and Black Desert already itch that scratch. I'd be looking more at Rift, but less homogenous, less hand-holding and less theme-parky.

Of course the problem, as I tweeted, is that the company no longer has the critical mass to launch an MMO. They already blew the $100 million squeezed out of EQ and EQ2 to make EQN/L and have nothing to show for it. They don't have another $100m in revenue to try again. And even if the company had a dream team of 30-50 folks and got lucky on the engine and tools choices, they still have just 3 community people for 7 game titles. And they can't lean on the producers or developers to communicate. The Producer's letters for EQ and EQ2 are comically short and the developer responses are like the Monty Python Argument Sketch. Angry, stressed people don't make good customer communicators.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

mission accomplished, people are now talking about eq3 instead of layoffs or russian overlords. the studio is alive and kicking guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Its what I bitched at EQ2 devs for a long time for countless issues "These problems have been solved already, just look at other games" but apparently they carry that same misguided development attitude from EQ2 where if Eq1 did it they couldn't and tried to apply it to the entire industry instead of just EQ1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

In order for your ideas to work, Holly would have to:

1. Ask customers questions about what they want, what they have enjoyed, and what they didn't like.

2. Actually hear what they are saying.

3. Take this information seriously.

Instead, what I envision happening is game release that is essentially the same as recent expacs.

1. Unfinished content.
    2. Crap quality.
    3. Mechanics to incentive cash shop sales
    4. p2w
    5. Staff contempt for customer feedback.
    6. Deceptive business and sales practices.
    7. A developer focus as opposed to a customer focus.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Note:

If Holly would take the time and interest to ask players questions and LISTEN, they will tell her what innovations they find interesting, where they see games going, and what they will buy.

Not all ideas will be implementable of course, but, the fact that they keep having reboot the next eq tells me they are not doing this.

For example, It still boggles my mind that Georgeson didnt focus group the horrible character models for Next.

I mean, who burns through $100 MM in development without a formalized and objective market research and feedback structure and process? In any other business, not only would you get fired, but you'd be laughed out if the industry you work within.

But, thats how they do things. It's their culture. Arrogant, wasteful and just dumb.

i.e. Fantasy battle royale. Stupid.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

There's a reason WoW was so successful. It looked at what EQ did wrong and fixed it, something SOE/DBG has been unable to do as a whole. It also doesn't help that unlike Blizzard they're completely unable to take feedback from users, either they ignore it and tell you not to play if you don't like it, or they overreact to it and make sweeping giant changes because a minority was complaining about something no one else cared about.

As long as that's how Daybreak operates EQ3 won't be successful no matter how good it is, plain and simple.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

This is either the most retarded (or brilliant) PR spin ever to get people to talk about EQ3 instead of sanctions and possible take over of the company or someone is trolling hard.

I dont think anyone at Daybreaks PR department is this brilliant though so my bullshit meter is off the chart.

The two guildies I have that work on H1Z1 and the other who works on PS2 says everyone in the office is laughing at this and they cant imagine any of it being true. They havent heard about any of it at least. They do confirm that there are talks in the corners about DBG being in deep ****, but the bosses wont say anything only that its buisness as usual.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I suspect the battle royale stuff is a clever troll. I mean, it's such a gloriously stupid idea. But on the other hand, this IS DBG.

The rest of it is entirely plausible, if for no other reason than economics. And as Feldon said, eq3 has been a very poorly kept secret.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ansom

Ansom Member

I don't think the letter is authentic. Is just try to make everyone happy (eq1/2 last expa, eq3..), without very info.

So.. fabled raid, and weapon with level?

But, they don't have abort EQn one year ago? Dbg has close the project, for reopen few weeks later, without any news? Is.. not very credible.

14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

SOEmotes.

/mic drop

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Malleria

Malleria Member

Funny that now Apple and Samsung have introduced basically the exact same thing with their latest phones.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Ansom

Ansom Member

Agreed, the base idea about the SOEmotes was nice, but bad implemented. Maybe was even to soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

If this Reddit post is a troll, what makes it brilliant is all the claims are completely plausible, and that includes the absolutely dipsh*t battle royale idea.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

EQ3 has been blatantly obvious for years lol.

People just refused to believe it. Holly isn't just sat on a beach somewhere getting a tan.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Noctew

Noctew New Member

Well, in theory she could have been on Legends of Norrath 2. :) And a double producer team has happened before. But yes, with the EQN cancellation timing it was somewhat obvious.

20. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

This is what confuses me, if they are working on EQ3, then why have they gone out of their way to piss off players of EQ and EQ2? It seems to me that you would want to maintain and please as much of your loyal player base as possible moving forward. Their strategy really defies logic in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 12