1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

PCGamesN: "Community neglect and a pay-to-win ethos are killing EverQuest 2"

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

So I was asked to contribute my thoughts to an article about EverQuest II for PCGamerN. I turned in a 2 page response which I realize was a lot to digest, but I wish a bit more of what I'd said had made it into the article. This will, undoubtedly, read as a hit piece. From the headline to the last line there is little positive to be found.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/everquest-ii-free-to-play-your-way/everquest-2-community

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Feldon

I'm not sure I'm authorized to post the questions he asked, but generally, he asked about why I started the site and why I closed it:

EQ2 was my first MMO. Some would say I’m a latecomer to EQ2 as my partner (who played EQ and EQ2 from launch) got me into the game in 2007. My first character was a ranger because I like to hang back and survey the battlefield. A year later, we decided it would be fun to attend the company’s Fan Faire convention in Las Vegas. As a fluke, I started up a little blog and wrote about the things we were seeing and hearing in Vegas. I was surprised by the response as people were closely following everything I posted and felt informed. I never intended to continue the site, but people felt there was a need for such a resource and encouraged me to keep writing. I didn’t even register the EQ2Wire name until a year later.

What initially drew me to EQ2 was its depth of content and how the game encouraged teamwork. The game was deep, but not so complex that it required a statistical analysis degree to master it. I started playing at a time when the game had tons of active helpful guilds and grouping was plentiful. Parses were not as important as having a good time. People who played EQ2 forged lifelong friendships and even marriages. I’m friends with two married couples who met through the game. How many other MMOs have had that kind of impact on people?

There were many reasons for me to quit EQ2 and stop writing EQ2Wire, but ultimately for me the game wasn’t fun anymore. I felt a real sense of accomplishment out of earning my Epic Weapon or defeating enemies in groups and raids. That accomplishment has been replaced with the marketplace and the random number generator.

Every year the game seems to reinvent itself with new mechanics and a hundredfold growth in player power. Every November, no matter their previous progress, players are expected to scrap everything and start over. Each new system is not well-explained and it all ends up feeling like we’ve been assigned homework. And for a game with an annual $40+ expansion and $15 monthly subscription, there seems to be an unseemly focus on monetization. Between Ascension, Familiars, and other cash-gated progression, maintaining a place in even casual groups is less and less about player skill. Character progression is blocked behind extensive grinds or very rare random drops. Not to mention that it’s 2018 and EQ2 has no functioning Dungeon Finder feature.

I think now more than ever there is a compelling need for a website that documents all the changes and keeps players informed about the game. If I felt totally lost, I can’t imagine how other players feel. Regardless of personal differences between myself and the company, what ultimately drove my decision to step away was that I was putting more into the game than I was getting out of it. That’s when you know it’s time to move on.​

He then asked about the EQ2 team and Daybreak's reception to criticism:

For many years, the EQ2 team was willing to listen to those of us who love the game, but have questions or concerns about certain decisions. Nobody enjoys criticism, yet EverQuest II’s developers opened themselves up to our feedback at the annual Fan Faire conventions in Las Vegas, in e-mails, on their forums, in /bug reports, on Skype, etc. They took the good with the bad and worked hard to create the best game for all of us.

I know that we as customers were afforded incredible access to the EQ2 developers. Few other industries work like this. How many of us get to chat with the people who design our cars, laptops, or home appliances? We take chatting with MMO designers for granted. With the buyout of the company and related staff reductions, the EQ2 team seems to have gradually closed ranks.

As someone who covered the game for 7 years at the yearly conventions, who visited the San Diego offices, and who once had an amicable relationship with several key developers, the changes over the last year and a half have been disappointing on a personal level and shocking at a professional one. After all, a company that insulates itself from criticism and only listens to those with unwavering loyalty to their products won’t last long.

18 months ago, after expressing my concerns with then Community Manager “RadarX” about the state of player-developer communication, I helped launch a Discord chat staffed with the game’s developers. The idea was that it would augment the Forums, add to the Community, and allow players and developers to come together and share feedback about the game. This is not what happened. With each Developer granted administrator access, it quickly became clear that any criticism, no matter how politely phrased, was means for removal. After they withdrew from the forums, the main place for players to ask questions became an exclusive developer-run “club”.

At any rate, I no longer correspond with anyone on the EQ2 team. If I could take back one thing, I would have never started the Discord chat.​

Asked for a followup on my banning:

I helped setup the Discord and was initially given Moderator status. On a couple of occasions, I unbanned someone who I felt had been removed not for breaking any rules but for posting something a developer didn't like. I left the chat for a while after getting pushback for this. Months later, I rejoined the chat (since it seemed to be the only place developers were talking to players) and shortly thereafter, I was banned for making what the developers felt was a snarky comment about how confusing some of the item examine windows were. Not just banned temporarily, but permanently with an IP address block. Even if I created another account, I cannot login. Also the last time I checked I was banned from the forums.

I know my responses are pretty darned negative. I hope you are getting other perspectives on the positives of the game. The housing and crafting are so extensive. There are thousands of items that players can place in their homes, and a thriving Player Studio marketplace where players who have knowledge of 3D modeling can actually design and add furniture and weapon appearances to the game. Some people make significant side income from adding furniture to EQ2. There is no other game with the housing of EQ2.
    Then he asked about EQ2 being a "black sheep" and how it was overshadowed by WoW and what I think its legacy will be:

I wasn’t there at the beginning, but my understanding is EQ2 struggled to find its own identity at the beginning. It oscillated between EverQuest’s approach, which punished soloing, and more casual games that demanded less of their players except to enjoy themselves. EQ2 launched with too many classes (24), too much interdependency in its crafting system, and some said, far too much complexity to appeal to the populous. It didn’t help that the game bet on single-core CPUs and was not GPU-optimized, while WoW could run on a calculator. It would be many years before EQ2 could run with graphics at their highest setting. Sweeping changes in combat and class definition followed shortly after launc. . I don’t know that the game ever got the full support it should have from the top brass.

I think EQ2’s enduring legacy is that it has more depth to it than WoW, more content than MMOs that cost $100 million to launch, and until recently, the “grind” was relatively well-hidden. There’s something genuine about the game’s content and the developers seem to care. That goes a long way in a field of MMOs chasing a monetization strategy first and a compelling game second.​

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Someone should post this on the official forum and underline the need for a discussion about it and see if they will allow a real discussion to run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

The article as well as your full write-up were interesting reads. Obviously you had far more invested that I did (personal relationships with developers, all the work you put into your site, etc), but most of the reasons I quit subbing and playing are the similar to yours. I was never a raider but just keeping my characters somewhat up to par became too tedious and the fun factor has gone for me. While I still loved the tradeskilling & decorating even some of that has been gated behind being of a certain level or on a certain raid to obtain recipes/items. Plus I want to enjoy my player housing in a game I actually adventure in. It's why I'm back in LOTRO. The housing is far below the EQ2 standard for decorating, but I enjoy actually playing the rest of the game so I can live with that for now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

It'd be gone as soon as Roxxly got round to checking the forums.

However if you titled it "Why we love EQ2!" you'd probably get away with it staying for a few days.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

The closing paragraph of the article sums it up for me. EQ2 isn't EQ2 any more, the remnants are still there in the old content, but for the rest... it's a different game with the same name:

Would Asheron’s Call players have been happy to see their world reach a similar state? Or is it better to get closure, painful though it may be, rather than hold onto a tainted version of the experience they were originally sold on - one, admittedly, now defined by wistful memories of what once was? In the end, the players will decide, but on current evidence, it seems that many are now ready to finally let go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

eh, that author is still just bitter about AC/AC2.

I am of two opinions about that article. It is obviously heavily biased towards the negative, and that is bad, as it allows DBG to handwave it away as valuable criticism. However, it DOES appear that the author took some time to find a few other positive views, and that is a good thing.

Overall, I expect this to have zero impact. Thanks for putting in your two cents on this however, Feldon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Feldon you have always been fair and balanced in your reporting of EQ2 whether you were a defender or a detractor. The community, myself included, will always appreciate all you have done for us.

This part of the article stood out for me:

"Longdale’s response to player complaints is formulaic, offering the now familiar line that all paid power can be obtained through game play alone, and is aimed at those who “are happy to pay for convenience or cool vanity items.” One thing she said, however, stood out to me: “Overall, it is really difficult to convey to players that we need to run a healthy business to keep our awesome game alive.”

We all understand that a business needs to make a profit to remain viable. What I want to know is why our paid subscriptions, expansion purchases, and in some cases, krono purchases are not enough money for them? Other games seem to survive just fine by those same cash influxes without becoming greedy and inserting hidden p2w mechanics in the game.

In my opinion, they are trying to make up lost revenue due to the shrinking player base by being greedy. If they don't have the resources any more to provide the quality and quantity to their paying customers, then they should reduce their monthly subscription and expansion prices accordingly. If people feel like they aren't getting price gouged, they may continue to support the game longer and/or return. Stop with the hidden p2w mechanics.

Also, her statement of paid power can be obtained through game play alone doesn't address the fact it involves endless hours of painful grinding and/or research all designed to encourage players to spend money.

I continue to be boggled by their decision making processes and attitude towards their player base.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. Feldon

After trying everything else for ~6 years, Rift is finally going to a sub system on it's new Premium TLE-style server. People are very excited about the reduced marketplace P2W and the added bonus of being on a real server that will start with TLE.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I played Rift for a while and had a blast, but over played it and burned myself out. When they launch this new TLE server, I am going to try it. I am very excited as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing this excitement? I've been following the news as well, and I see a lot of discontent over the fact that your character gets deleted at the end of the year (which is also why I wouldn't play on it). At least with Race to Trakanon you were able to transfer after it was over.

12. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

When a game in 2018 gets this advice on the official forums when complaining about the lag:

(1) Turn your graphics down to "Extreme Performance"
    (2) Shift your camera so you are zoomed in and looking at your feet

I mean... really? Should I really need to play the game by just stare at my hotbar and the ground around my feet? The quality of the game and the feeling of constantly playing in a beta (sometimes alpha) along with the ridiculous lag is what finally got me to throw in the towel. If they kept their product more polished instead of going after quick fixes while pumping out items on the marketplace and the turn towards more p2w that the last two expacs (not played either of them) brought, I would probably still be playing and paying eq2.

Besides... that advice only work if it is your computer that is halting.. but 90% of the time it is server lag, so it wont matter what you do...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Feldon

Delete? Wtf? Ouch.

14. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Based on this interview, it looks like they're reconsidering their decision, which is good. But yeah, it's not intended to be a permanent server, so it's like: "Hey, did you hate all of that F2P crap we added and designed our advancement systems around? Have we got a server for you!* (* But only for a year)." What a weird thing.

15. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Post it late Friday night US time and it will probably still be there Monday morning :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

I disagree with article's author that there were two events that have embittered players.

The complaints are rooted in two key events in the game’s history. First, the decision by Sony Online Entertainment in 2011 to shift it to fit a free-to-play model, causing a creep of what many players feel are pay-to-win features. Second, Sony’s sale of SOE to investment company Columbus Nova in 2015, which led to staff layoffs, the departure of key community-facing figures in the company, and the rebranding of SOE as Daybreak Games.

Rather I think there are two other things that upset the applecart of players

First, I think was when EQ2 became the game to experiment and showcase "cutting edge" things that I don't think players were looking for and certainly the development teams weren't interested in producing. I think SOE and now Daybreak has tried to take what they thought was their flagship title and put sparkly features on it which would get them mention on the cover of PC Gamer for a month.

The "highly successful" Dungeon Maker
    SOEmote
    EQ2X
    The concept of content is free, you'll pay only for mechanics and feature (a.k.a., the one and done Age of Discovery model)

And where are these now...all one and done...for the most part all gone or very, very far from what they were first touted as... Investing time, effort, and resources into these pet projects which players never embraced could have been spent on creating a better play world rather than a personal sandbox.

Secondly - this might be my pet peeve, but I do think it is an issue shared by many. That on any given Tuesday - and especially at launch of a new expansion, guspansion, game update, or even weekly patch - the way you played the day before might be totally different the next with no warning, explanation, or documentation. That past accomplishments, efforts, and rewards can be completely white-out or obsoleted. Anything, at any time, including elements that you might have spent green dollars on can be changed or even erased. As consumer and customer why would I want to continue to invest in something if these are the risks that my virtual accomplishments might need to endure. If there is little to no continuity from the vendor - why continue to stick with them...

• Like Like x 3
  17. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

One thing that drove a lot of players away that folks seem to have forgotten was the ProSeiben debacle. We lost a lot of Euro players with that nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Malleria

Malleria Member

Ah yes. I remember this little gem from that time :)

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Disappointed no one posted on the official forum about this article, and even more Disappointed about the white knight commenting on the article in their own section...

So few people care about the game that not even a drama article can spur up the community.

20. Nolus

Nolus Member

It really doesn't help that Daybreaks MO is to shut anything down. You can't fix something if you are not willing to understand the problem. Much like you can't make the game better if you don't understand the players or the game.

Thought about posting things quite a few times, but is there a point?

I've been playing the game since 2004, as much as I would like it to last. You can't help people that aren't willing to be helped.

• Agree Agree x 2