1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Pantheon Dev stream

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by stach, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The irony is every live stream for Everquest 2 or EverQuest Next or many other MMOs people say quit dicking around and just make eq1 with better graphics. I think that die hard groups of people that want time sinks and grouping are going to be very small but they are dedicated. Will it be enough?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

There's 'niche' and then there's 'unsustainable'.

It's a very small step from one to the other.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Lets be honest, there MAY be some EQ1 players willing to move to Pantheon once EQ1 closes down. How long will it keep going with DBG running it? Maybe 2 years or so... Pantheon will be out perhaps by then...

4. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I still think it's like, "we walked uphill both ways in the snow and it was glorious back in the day" type wistful reminiscing on a lot of folks part. I had a wonderful time in EQ1 at the time, but I don't want to go back to that style of play now. I have a feeling once people get in a game like that, if they've been away from that style for many years, they will end up saying "this is not as fun as I remember".

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Then != Now.

I keep telling people, but they never listen.

Then != Now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

From what I am told the hosting cost for servers/infrastructure have declined over time. I assume this is based on not owning any hardware but purchasing capacity via a cloud type provider. Should make that part of the cost model sustainable with lower subscription numbers I guess.

Disclaimer I have not worked in the provisioning side of IT so this is second had information from others.

7. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I know that the Shadowbane server I play on (called Magicbane) is based out of Russia. One of the posts by the owner stated that it only costs them about 2100 rubles a month to host the game for people to play on (about $32 USD). Just a bit of information.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. omuteef

omuteef Member

From what i have read on the Pantheon forums over time is that they are using "cloud servers" and that the game is sustainable with 10k subscriptions. They arent making a game to take down the big players its almost a passion project from Brad.
    The game seems to have alot of interesting features like the percetion system for quests. An environment that can either help or hinder your player depending on where you are. No instances all open world and all contested and no PvP from what ive seen. ONly one hot bar so you need to think what spells and CAs you will use for what ever you are doing putting a major emphasize on how you gear and run your toon depending on where you are in the open world.
    But again corpse runs ugggh.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Daybreak uses cloud technology (Azure, I believe?).

Anyway, if Pantheon can make a profitable game that serves the kind of customer that loves the grind and crawl, well, great.

Just not for me.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. azulkb

azulkb New Member

i will try it.
    because i regret my departure from eq1. so why not.

nothing can be so bad like eq2 is now.
    everquest 2 is really my mistake of course. After 14 years of eq2, I quit everything last year. It took me too long to realize that eq2 will never be as good as it was when it came out.

My main activity was the raid. Which I enjoyed a lot in eq1 and early in eq2. Real challenge, skill, little farm, real rewards. And good balance of class.
    the top 10 of my final departure:
    # 1: PTW
    # 2: Class Balance
    # 3: intense farm and rarety to push to buy.
    # 4: resolve and start all over again each year.
    # 5: no challenge in raid (see resolve)
    # 6: daybreack cynicism. (sell infusers 2 months before a next expansion, knowing that all the improved material will be destined for the trash, i cannot understand why we not see a class action for that, but i not live in USA)
    # 7: No bug fixes on time, except those concerning the market place.
    # 8: no freedom to criticize, (banned from discord from the first remark)
    # 9: no originality in the rewards, a software generates the objects.
    # 10: for some loots, only one way (last year reach the cap in sdc, oblige to do the meta collection, see # 3, # 1)

In Pantheon, we not see #1, and if nothing push player to buy in a marketplace i think we not see #3. We not see #5 because challenge is a way to promot Pantheon. In terms of cynicism we can not do worse than daybreack. So #6 from daybreack customer, we can hope better for any another company. for other point, wait to see..

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Yup. Raiding was all holding my attention, and that barely, because anything else was either drudgework or impossible to get past crazy requirements to do (often either hidden or imposed by folks just wanting to blitz everything). The game's a set of obligations rather than a source of enjoyment now. Even my guild was all but gone. Thus my migration to ESO.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I dunno why, but whenever I hear Pantheon in my head it sounds like "Panty On."
    It sounds like a game I wouldn't choose to play, but I'm sure others will like it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

It probably sounds better in the original latin Pantheum.