1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm of the opininion things started to go down hill with players over at Wow after the Activision merger. The suits moved in, staff was cut, budgets were slashed etc. Same thing that happened with DBG.

Shareholders rejoice!

Lately, the game has been drifting steadily into creating the shop transactions players everywhere just adore. Heck, devs have started sniping the streamers who've been critical of the direction the game has taken.

Longdale will fit right in with the existing corporate culture over there, actually.

Suspect it's only a matter of time before she starts throttling game play behind some kind of manipulative p2w scheme.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

There was also some recent incident with a FFXIV streamer that created an opportunity for Blizzard to step on its own junk, or so I heard...Asmongold, I think...

3. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

Good point- I’m not too worried, though. They just did a housing plot expansion not too long ago for our data center, which involved adding new servers for each realm. So they’ve got recent experience with that… but those may have been ordered before the ongoing chip shortages started impacting things. Something to keep an eye on, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I was told it is a 75% non Japanese player base on Tonberry. As for expectation its the usual don't stand in the bad stuff, try not to die and kill the boss. To aid leveling most of the dungeon, trial and raid content required to advance the story has been heavily nerfed up to the current content. They also have a concept called echo which is a buff that applies if you wipe on a boss after 3 minutes for story line quest dungeons/trials.

"Echo Buff will temporarily increase the players' stats and help them clear specific dungeons and trials. To received the Echo buff, players must be incapacitated after having battled enemies for a certain period of time. The Buff will increase the player's HP, Attack Power and Healing Magic Potency."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Asmongold is a big WoW streamer (like, hundreds of thousands of views big). I've only stumbled across him because he's taken an interest in AoC.

He's been one of the bigger content creators critical of the direction Wow has been taking and has been openly searching for a replacement.

He streamed is first run through on FF and I guess some off the Wow devs showed their collective asses.

Anyway, seems he absolutely loves the game (even though there are catboys).

6. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I also found it difficult to get groups to progress the storyline due to time zones (being in NZ), so being on a server that has a large contingent of players in a similar time zone would be great. It's probably the most annoying thing about the game - you can't move forward at certain points until you have completed xzy dungeon. And there's no way around it.

7. RhodrisNZ

Reactivated my subscription today, and went to make a character on Tonberry - not taking any new players!! I guess that's a good sign....sort of LOL.

So I'm mucking about on one of my existing characters on a different world (there was a queue to log in!), to reacquaint myself with it all (and will keep trying Tonberry every so often during the course of the day). OMG....so MANY people!! The place is absolutely stuffed full of players! I'm having fun, and I'm rediscovering the sheer beauty of FFXIV. The only thing I really don't like is those floating mog thingies, but it's not deal-breaking for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

You can make characters on any server late at night or early in the morning. The character creation system only disable the creation of new characters if the server queue is 500 players or more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

That is how I got my second character created on Tonberry but it did take me a couple of mornings before I got an open slot.

Server Status | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Hope that you enjoy the game :)

This may help -

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

• Like Like x 2
  11. RhodrisNZ

And I'm in. First thing this morning, NZ time. I figured everyone else was still sleeping then :D Have just rearranged all hotbars and HUD layout (tool tips fixed rather than next to the cursor, etc), and starting my first quests.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I have pretty much stuck to doing the main quest line quests, the blue quests and my class quests and my level progression has been appropriate for the content. Later on, around level 30, I found that some of the blue quests were for different jobs so I didn't accept them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RhodrisNZ

I've just finished the initial run-around of Gridania (made an archer), picked up all the aether crystals, and done all the baby quests. Still at level 3. My focus will be on the main story line and class quests - not entirely sure about the blue ones, as I haven't quite figured out how to have more than one job. I get into enough trouble trying to work with 1!!

Edit: With an upcoming change to skills across the board in SWTOR, I'm not entirely comfortable with how it's going to work out (based on what I've read on the forum, which is not (as we know) entirely unbiased or accurate, although some of the main posters are trying it out on the PTS). FFXIV may become my MMO of choice if SWTOR goes down the pan (I have a bad feeling about the NGU that killed SWG being repeated).

14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is funny. Asmongold talks about a leak that "all the new hires at Vanilla Wow hate him......; then he does a pretty damn good job describing how corporate studios don't understand what the role of streamers actually is and how the corporate culture is killing gaming.

The best part....at very end he pulls up Google search data for FFXIV on the day he streamed his first play through and slope shoots the roof.

That's why the Longdales of the world despise streamers. They show the product, they provide feedback, and they can move a lot of people real freaking fast.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

There is your base class that you picked and defined by your primary weapon then there are jobs which are soul shard related. I am a archaist as my base class choice and at level 30 I could take up either summoner or scholar as jobs for example. When I equip the summoner soul shard I become as summoner as my job but I still have all my archaist abilities available, if that makes sense. Some jobs you have to be level 30 to start others were added with expansions and you have to be level 50 or higher and have that expansion to be able to get the quest. There are various prerequisites required for each job.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Job Guide

Crafting, you can learn any or all of the crafting disciplines.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

She doesn't like anything she doesn't control. The emails she's sent me in the past are just unconscionable. I could have rained down **** on the team for stuff she said, but I didn't.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yup. People like Longdale (and these corporate gaming studios are full of folks like her) rely on manipulation and deceit to mask the turd pile they're trying to sell people.

At the very heart of it (and your blog was no different) is the absolute fact that people trust other gamers to be honest with them, and (for good reason), they don't trust the Holly Longdale's of the world to treat them the same way.

That's why she loathes all the streamers, bloggers, and the gaming media: their honesty.

No amount of marketing gimmicks or manipulative business practices can overcome that. So when Asmongold says these corporate studios don't understand social media, that's what he's talking about.

AoC, Path of Exile, Wow pre-Activision, etc - they embrace the feedback these influencers provide (both the positive and the negative) and they respond to it because they want to make a great game for themselves and their customers. That's their priority.

But they also understand when they do respond to the feedback, when people can see these streamers playing and having a good time and offering praises to the studio - THE STUDIO MAKES MONEY.

People like Longdale are all about the bullshitting of customers, and that's why she despises you folks.

Oh well. Let her fit right in on another sinking ship.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Matik

Matik New Member

I've been playing the new TLP EQ1 server and it's bananas with the free trade loot. You can farm tradeskill mats and be wearing plane gear at level 10. There is basically no low or mid game economy because people just buy a krono and buy higher end gear from the boxlords. And I guess because of P99 and all the TLP servers, playing in classic era is like a well refined sport to a large number of people, people only go to certain zones and the rest of the game is empty. It's just weird to me, that classic era is so popular but it seems like people go out of their way to not play it, or play it in the easiest way possible. Unrest with xp pots and out of group buffs, rat ears, buying krono and then selling it for epic 1.0 and/or raid loot. There's more "adventure" to be had on live servers it seems, if you try to form a group for something outside the approved script here people are like WTF.

So I guess EQ2 ain't the only game that went crazy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Longdale has already started her cash shop bullshit over at WoW Classic and the TBC TLE platform.

First, she's selling boosts on classic, and people are like, "wtf is the point of a classic server if people can just boost to end-game?". (Note: I suspect that it has everything to do with Classic not really being all that fun, so she's offering a way for people to buy a character for end game content that can be copied to TBC).

Secondly, and of course, there is a bis premium mount that can be purchased and that has no in-game equivalent.

Wait till those WoW TLE folks realize she's just getting started with that crap, and that over the next three years there are gonna be all kinds of new ways to buy character power from the cash shop.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Matik

Matik New Member

I feel sorry for Wow people and I'm glad I never had any interest in wow classic, tbc or otherwise, despite enjoying tbc at the time. I used to love tanking dungeons as a warrior and making friends but everyone is so hyper efficient now I don't even understand the point of playing. I think they knew exactly what they were doing when they hired her and it shows what blizzard actually is now, I know it used to have a fond reputation or whatever but just lol now.

The more I think about or try to play on the new TLP the more I am disgusted by everything. It's an abomination. I am someone who played old classic EQ and quit during velious so you think I'd be the target demographic but I'm not, at all. They want people buying gear for krono, they want boxlords running the show, since every one bought is a frontloaded sub paid for extra money. And it's created this absurd treadmill that from what I'm noticing, people just seem to run on server after server. But I'm sure it makes decent money for a dead game, even a no one like me can flip gear in EC tunnel selling to people who just bought a krono or two and don't care about prices they just want instant gratification. Live really does feel like a more legitimate experience, which seems ironic.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1