1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I **like** WoW, and indeed have been subbed for years, but I don't think I have a toon over 25 ish anywhere. It is something I go to once in a while, but never really had any friends there, so just play with new toons and the solo game. I'd have to really get into it to decide one way or another.
    When it was first released, and I mean when it was FIRST released, I did play a bit, but somehow, every damn thing I saw killed me. I shelved it for a while lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I went back to WoW over end of December to end of January. Had 2 friends wanted me to join them. One on live and one of the Classic server. Neither was around and both didn't email me for 3 weeks (and still haven't for another 2 weeks added on) so I have canceled my account before it was a second month. Didn't want to join a guild if I wasn't going to stay, and if they cant be bothered to log in, I cant be bothered to pay for a game like that. The classes on Live are WAY simpler compared to Classic time but MMORPG are designed to work with others, not solo. If I wanted to solo, I would play Sacred or Daggerfall or something else. The raid bosses (two expansion ago or so) were so twitch based (to me with poor reflexes, I don't even try to jog and chew gum!) that I kept dying to the boss ground effects. Spent more time dead than doing damage. Gave up so my guild wouldn't have to carry me. So I seriously doubt ill be back to WoW. Im content on my free games (private servers) and my xrated niche mmorpg.

3. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I know what you are saying, and understand, but I enjoy exploring the scenery. As I said in another thread, I ***JUST*** discovered Good Old Games, and have been devoting a good deal of time to the original Knights of the Old Republic, and Ultima! Sadly, I have discovered, that Ultima 1-4 are just too painful to play :( (and really didn't have a story), but I am LOVING jumping back into VI... that is a serious classic, but still playable game.

Oh, and (shhhhhhh), I can play those all easily even during downtime at work....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

My poor reflexes hurt me in such game, though I have other strengths when it came to PvP. More than one guildie laughed as some rogue would jump them (in a BGs or world pvp) and they knew it when my demon's axe flew past their face to hit the rogue attacking them to stun the rogue for 3 seconds which gave my guildie time for the rogue's stun on him to wear off also. I had developed good combat awareness to assist my guildies. And having about 50% more health than most clothies helped save me from ganking rogues. They would do 1500 damage to me and my health was still over half health... and most rogues ran off and stealthed to find an easier victim. Anytime I didn't have to walk back from the graveyard was a win for me, even if I didn't kill them!

5. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

What game Meneltel?

6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

That was WoW in late classic/early TBC time

7. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Oh, I only play on the current, and persistent, existing servers. I'm totally not schooled enough there to even want to try anything else :)

I thought you meant Ultima VI, or KOTOR, and I became confusdicated. A really nice Single Malt Scotch I am enjoying might have something to do with that though

• Like Like x 2
  8. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

No problem. Always willing to muddy the waters even more!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I've decided instead of going back to TLE I'm going to give WoW a genuine shot. I bought a 60 day prepaid card. I just know if I go back to TLE I'm going to regret giving Deybreak more money, even if I don't love WoW at least I'm happier with where the money's going.

Also if you're looking for recommendations for GoG games, I bought Diablo 1 a few months ago and LOVED it. Fantastic game. It is very slow though, especially compared to modern aRPGs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I ❤️ GoG muchly.

If you don't get into WoW, consider GW2, it's buy to play and if you're active while chapters for the expanions come out, you get them free. If not, they're reasonably priced. It's an easy game to play casually and dip in and out of, without commiting to a subscription.

Also, FFXIV, purchase + sub, (when I played last) has solid game play across the solo to large scale group content spectrum as well as peripheral activities. ESO, both f2p and sub, is a good choice as well, though if you're a crafter, you'll want to subscribe for the materials bag, which lets you avoid the alt-mat-storage shuffle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I much prefer GoG to Steam. I have something like 65 games in my library and have spent maybe $25 for most of them. A couple like Pathfinder: Kingmaker were more.

MMOs I've been recommending to former EQ2 players when pressed over the last few years:

SWTOR
    FF VIV
    GW2
    ESO

Personally I've been playing CoH on the Homecoming servers since around last April or so occasionally jumping in to GW2 for a bit.

I've never really been a WoW hater, in the past it was not a bad game. I just don't enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Daggerfall is fun too and you will recognize lots of the sound effects there from EQ1. Just thought I would mention it. And its free from the owners and other places.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Any recommendations for a CoH server to check out? I played the free trial once back in the day when I didn't have a credit card, I'd like to try it out again now, though I worry it won't be as interesting to me now since I don't have any nostalgia for it and I have so much MMO experience that I tend to see the hamster wheels pretty quickly.

I think I might play Phantasy Star Online again on a private server, the soundtrack and graphics always have me feeling some kind of way.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Oh, let us/me know if you find a good one. I wouldn't mind trying that out. Often though, downloading the game for install is cumbersome and a problem.

15. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

City of Heroes or Phantasy Star Online? If the latter, the words "private server" link to one. :p

16. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Phantasy Star Online. Though I read a comical webcomic about a hero in CoH I should link if I find again.

17. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I actually went back to Morrowind when Skyrim came out as I couldn't stand the latter's console interface and dependence on Steam.

18. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Okay yeah, just click on the private server link in my post. They also have an installer that makes it pretty easy to get setup.

It's less of an MMO and more of a Diablo-style loot chasing game, albeit from third-person perspective rather than an isometric view like Diablo is. It was the first online game I really sunk my teeth into back when it came out on Dreamcast, and the atmosphere and music still hold up. It's also a nice game to zone out to because it's slower-paced. Phantasy Star Online 2 is finally coming to the west, but that's a lot more action-focused and just isn't as enjoyable. Also, waifus everywhere.

19. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Since the code is out in the wild and technically anyone can run a server there's more than a few of them. There are only a couple big ones right now. I'm playing on one of the servers ran by the Homecoming group. The Homecoming people have ties to SCORE, though, and there's drama there (which even most CoH fans aren't aware of) so some people avoid them. So far they seem well run. Good populations and stable. I'm playing on the unofficial RP server. There's also an unofficial PvP server, a European server, and two regular servers. It is an old game and fairly simple in a lot of ways but I'm having fun.

Official infos:
    Homecoming

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Missed that,sorry. Saved the page for later for now. Thanks again