1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Ooh dear ...

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Tkia, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Well now I'm confused. Benny posted elsewhere under his normal account just over a half hour ago! :confused:
    I find it hard to believe that a new account was created yesterday with such a simiilar name. Rule #39: There's no such thing as coincidence!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Playing EQ2 can't be entertainment value at this point. It has to be addiction or codependency.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I guess that depends why and how you play. I'm basically looking for a game that's D&D fantasy with no PVP and some form of creative modding ability. It's amazing how seriously limiting that is. And I only play the game at the lower levels where it's still fun - until Kander gets his hands on it and breaks it. Which is why I'm dreading the AA revamp :(

If the new Baldur's Gate lives up to the hype and still contains the customisation options of the originals then that will probably be the end of my DBG contributions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Eq2 is basically an abusive relationship.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Feldon

Fair enough, but considering how many changes have already been made to level 1-70 content via changing how stats work, reitemization, etc. the AA revamp will just be another in a long line of injuries.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

You might want to check out some NWN persistent worlds. The flavor and quality varies from world to world, but it meets your stated criteria.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

It at least shares the sunk cost of one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Sunk costs are one of those logical fallacies that human nature really struggles with. Loss aversion runs deep.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

I ran the same crap every-single-week on WoW hoping for some of those 1% chance mounts. I also ran the same raids over and over (and over and over...) again, just trying to complete different colorations of transmog sets. When they finally dropped, I was more happy to not have to run that crap ever again than I was to actually get the mount/mog. At that point, I realized I wasn't having fun and shut the account down permanently. If there's one thing I've learned well, it's when to cut my losses.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

So you're saying if it was a different company you'd want to see Kander naked?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  11. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I would never be caught fappening to the images of another person that were released without their knowledge or consent. Not even a hate filled grudge session with cursing and ill will being spewed forth. That's just rude.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  12. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

It seems that higher ranks at DBG feared they would loose a lot of the playerbase as there isn't enough content in BoL during the lockdown.
    So they "funneled player" (Copyright Fuli) into doing the only content there is. Running Heroics /Solos and doing Clicky/Crafter /Dropped quests till your ears bleed. Marketing wise they called it Bonus weeks. First there were Merc/mount training potion dropps, but in the last week and now there are dropping Spell research potions.

To put this into context, they had them dropping over a weekend in 2018 and after that never again. Player asked all through 2019 for this but were told it won't happen again.

Someone at DBG was thinking we'd rather loose out on marketplace spell research money instead of loosing player.
    To give you some figures, some player i know got between 600 -800 days during the week in April. That is about 4- 6 Spells searched from expert to Ancient.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  13. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

I bought the lifetime membership and was one of those people that bought the most expensive version of almost every expansion and still spent money on things. Now, I can barely bring myself to log in each month to get the 500dbc. The game is just plain boring.

Once they fixed the most egregious bugs (still many not fixed) I sort of liked the BoL signature quest line and all the achievement gear, but then I ran out of things to do. Sure I could log in to raid twice a week, but to what end? Marginally better gear that still requires me to do P2W upgrades?

The expansion has a few weeks worth of non-raid content. I got the impression from one of the podcasts that Kander thinks that they don't have resources to develop more than that. I guess that frees up the time and money I would have continued to spend on the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Feldon

I get nauseated when I even think about trying to login and play in this game with the current itemization mechanics.

If I cannot glance at an item and tell if it's an upgrade, there's something wrong. Yet that's where we've been for 5+ years now. I don't know whether I should praise or pity people who continue to throw money at a company where the devs openly hate on and mock their players.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

I've always thought that no expansion was anywhere near as good as what we got at launch. Every expansion was smaller, required less and less exploration, and focused increasingly on raiding. I hated DoF, so I quit. I came back during RoK, but only lasted until DoV. I came back again for AoM, took a non-game related break for ToT, started again at KA, and have played until February of this year. I found interesting things to do in most of those expansions, but I think we're near the end of a line that started long before 5 years ago. Jennifer Chan says, "I want to reassure you that the change of guard does not mean change of plans in EverQuest II. We are moving full steam ahead on our road map for the year with lots of new content in store." That does the opposite of reassure me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

I was going to say that I can understand buying the biggest versions of expansions if you're really enjoying the game and want to support it, but after checking out the prices for BoL...good lord. $140? $250? I'm pretty sure FFXIV: Shadowbringers' deluxe edition was $60. Even WoW's latest expansion is $80 for the most expensive version. I'm afraid to look up the price of that lifetime membership, but at that stage I think I'd feel obligated to have people bury me with my laptop so I could run the game even in death.

Personally, I won't drop a penny on a game unless it has; A: a thriving community and B: lifespan potential. I also don't think I'd ever buy any form of lifetime membership -- especially in this age of gaming. All it takes is one bad apple to send a game into a death spiral, and Daybreak's whole orchard is rotten to the core.

This was another huge part of what turned me away from WoW (and EQ2 to a lesser extent. They still hadn't fully snapped their leashes yet when last I played). Yeah, their content droughts were ridiculous, but I can always take a vacation from a game and come back. However, for you to ask for my money and then spit in my face...that's another matter. I can live without an MMORPG, but they can't live without money. When the lights finally get shut off, they can mock, giggle, and ban their way all the way to the unemployment line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

The lifetime membership was $299.99 and was offered in December 2018. Given the cheapest subscription rate of $9.99/month, the break even point is 30 months. If I were still playing, that would be June of next year. At the point I purchased it, I was enjoying the game and 30 months wasn't that far off. It seemed like a good deal. Also, it's for all of the "All Access" games so it includes more than just EQ2, though I have no interest in any of the other games.

Honestly, I really don't care if a company or an individual employee hates or mocks me, as long as they produce a good product. The problem with Kander is that he is the guiding hand which sped up the decline of the game. His vision for the game seems to be the opposite of what players enjoy. Even the most fanboi of fanbois are now openly saying on the official forums that they are looking for other games. Kander's inability to communicate in a non-tantrum filled, adult manner just exacerbates this problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Speaking of DB changes.... this is what I get when I try to go to the OF:

eq2forums.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  19. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Somebody shat the bed in a big way. I was playing 1, got a, "You have been disconnected message." and couldn't even window out. Neither OF will load, 1 or 2. When I tried to log in to 2 the patcher was showing the last GU with Diaku Corral as the newest update and I can't log in. The new EQ1 TLPs launched at 2 pm CST today, there's gonna be so many mad peeps.

This is what I get when trying to connect to EQ1 OF -

An exception occurred: Too many connections in /m2/webdocs/xenforo/eq/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

1. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
    2. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 553
    3. XenForo_Application->loadDb()
    4. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 780
    5. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 810
    6. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1098
    7. XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Error.php at line 47
    8. XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
    9. XenForo_Application::handleException()

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  20. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

No worries - this is a planned event. It's actually just a setup for Kander's release of Overseer season 2.5. The season title, you ask?

"Find the bugs!" You've complained so much that now you can look for the bugs, while we sit back and sip on daiquiris. ;)

What's that? You say you were already finding bugs and reporting them in the bug forums? Well that doesn't count, because umm.... we ignore all that, and besides - now it's part of the Overlord.. errr, Overseer mini-game, so it's FUN!

• Funny Funny x 5