1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Itemization

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Mermut, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Give one in game example that is not an rng loot crate beyond the sig line and the overland achievements that is an upgrade or a way to work towards an upgrade that is better than sig line rewards.
    Just one example. No prevarication, no deflections or derailing.
    Just one example of an upgrade people can work toward, in game, that isn't pure RNG.

Note: The recipe books for experts are locked behind RNG, so experts don't count.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Benito

Benito Banned

The criticism isn't against RNG itself. Loot drops from mobs are based on RNG. Are the Overseer crates not rewarded in game? Didn't you say there's just a 5 hour lock out/refresh? Lockouts and refresh timers are applied in other game mechanics (mission, raids), right?

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Oh the red herrings are flying for sure.

I wasn't actually that interested in the legalities here. If you have to pass a law to stop someone from being unethical, they're already lost. It's legal to tie up a dog outdoors to a chain here. They're still a piece of **** for doing so.

Once EQ2 subscribers find out that the $12-15 a month (and $50-200 for the annual expansion) they're paying for EQ2 only entitles them to play in the slow lane while those with more money can rapidly speed past them to victory, that's going to be the ballgame. Once Daybreak goes down this path, they've turned player progression on its ear and might as well go all the way, with raid gear available for direct purchase. And then your game is not progress-based anymore. It is simply an all-you-can-eat marketplace buffet of not just pay-to-win but pay-to-do-anything. People will expect one-click-kill baubles. People will except premium content tailored to them.

For Daybreak to do this to a SUBSCRIPTION game is something to behold. For years, people breathlessly predicted that the company would do this, but they held off. If this is the direction they are now going to go, it shows how desperate they are that they're willing to trade in their core customer base for whales.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I see we are back to the statistical reasoning problem again. Sigh.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Feldon

Dungeon bosses have a guaranteed drop table. You know you are going to get a specific piece in leather, chain, plate, etc. People can re-run that dungeon with the knowledge that they can plot out a progression. This is the foundation upon which EQ2 has been built for 15 years.

It sounds like (I haven't played it) that none of the dungeon drops in this expansion are particularly attractive, the crafted gear is worse than the signature gear, and the only thing worth working for is like a 1/1000 chance of getting anything useful via grindy content. Honestly I've kept up just enough to try to keep EQ2U updated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

hint: Those loot crates are 100% RNG... I asked for one example that WASN'T (was not) RNG
    Do you not understand the difference between working toward a reward and making progress and pure 100% luck?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Benito

Benito Banned

Well, we live in a society based on law. You are free to hold your opinions. Like it or not, people can function within the boundaries of the law no matter how "morally repulsive or reprehensible" (i.e. for the conservative persuasion: extramarital sex as long as it is above the age of consent, homosexuality, abortion; for the liberal persuasion: pollution, animal testing). We elect officials to create or otherwise modify those societal conditions.

My personal opinion: Daybreak offers enough in-game alternatives (e.g. bonus xp events, several routes to spell upgrades) that it does not cross the threshold of "manipulative design."

8. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

There is literally zero gear from the solo instances that is better than the gear you get doing the sig line. Not one single piece.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Feldon

So are you backing away from throwing me in the "conspiracy theory" camp?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Benito

Benito Banned

So what? On EQ1, chase loot are basically "guaranteed drop table" but across an entire expansion. The odds are so low and onerous that your point becomes moot.

11. Benito

Benito Banned

I launch the "conspiracy theory" charge because you provide zero evidence of malice on the part of Daybreak.

Otherwise, your moral boundary (on manipulative game design) is subjective and differs from others like myself. It's like a conservative claiming homosexual sex (sodomy) should be illegal (Lawrence v Texas) but the LGBT community appalled by the statute that criminalizes sodomy.

12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

At least he didn't claim that DBG isn't in full on P2W territory again.

Even if he STILL can't provide a single example of progression that's NOT locked behind RNG.

Keep going! Let's see what he comes up with next.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Feldon

Never played EQ1.
    Malice is hard to prove. But when a company does something, it's either in column A) accidental or column B) intentional. I don't believe the entire itemization of EQ2's 16th expansion is an accident.

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. Benito

Benito Banned

Tekka, you provide nothing useful to this discussion. GTFO if you want to troll.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  15. Benito

Benito Banned

That's an opinion that you have every right to hold. Does that mean its truth or fact? No.

16. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

So I guess Benito wasn't getting enough attention in his own thread?

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I will participate when, and how, I choose. You don't get to dictate the terms.

In addition, I wasn't talking TO you. If I want an answer or response FROM you, I'll address you directly.

The parties that I DID address my comments to may, or may not, respond to me or the content of my posts if THEY choose.

Finally, you still haven't answered Mermut's DIRECT QUESTION. And you're STILL trying to deflect from Feldon's DIRECT ARGUEMENT.

In conclusion: NO YOU.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Benito

Benito Banned

No, I don't care about attention. Everyone is entrenched in their opinion. I am just responding at this point because Feldon deserves a fair shake. But Tekka will say some dumb sh*t thing like "Benito tucked tail." Anyways, it's getting late. Enjoy yourselves.

19. Feldon

No that's not an opinion. Companies either do things by accident or on purpose. This isn't one of those places that is up to personal opinion. Companies aren't people.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Our new resident Bubble Gnome likes to point fingers, lay blame, and attribute things to me that I didn't actually say. It's weird.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1