1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting news

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Shmogre, Mar 6, 2020.

1. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Wow, and here people on WoW were complaining about the price of that Brutosaur mount -- I think it was something like $500 if bought with just tokens. That's one hell of a "hold my beer" moment.

I'm leery of spending as little as ten bucks on a game unless I see that it has a healthy lifespan, and no offense to those who still play EQ2 but that game had become a ghost town even back before KA. I wouldn't even pay for Kander's slice of humble pie. But then, you have people who'll spend 5-10 grand on a game that isn't even out yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  2. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

The thing that struck me most about that thread is what Dreamweaver seems to have worked out: 'oh god, Benny has got involved half the forum is about to jump on him better lock it down quick before chaos ensues!' :D

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. LuranEQ2

LuranEQ2 Member

This is my third or fourth try with it, I had bought the base game years ago before the first expansion, and I've dabbled in it briefly since then which was easy because it was buy-to-play. A bit back when they put the expansions on sale and included both with the latest one, I bought in on those and have been pottering around since just trying to do the base game world completion. Haven't touched any of the expansion or living world content yet, but I figure now that I've bought access to it I can get there whenever -- not like I'm losing money on a subscription.

Also, I can't dodge anything -- EQ2 conditioned me too well to just stand there and press buttons. It's been an adventure un-learning that behavior. Even when I do it right I sometimes still die, probably a gear thing, but it's casual play for me and death penalties are minimal. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

The release of new crates with a 1400 Dollar Mount and a potential 2000 Dollar Merc in the middle of a world-wide health and economic crisis is very questionable. Especially when another (potential) Overseer P2W mechanic was announced. This company greed is "unethical" to say the least.
    This crisis is already compared to the 2008 economic crisis. There will be less money for some people available to spend (illness/infection, less work/hours or redundancy)

The difference in 2008/2009 you had RoK and TSO and a valid argument for the best entertainment you can get for 15 Dollar a month. But that argument is no longer valid. It will be interesting what next months GU will be. DBG/DPG will need to rethink the strategy and come up with worthwhile engaging content. If its only Overseer stuff than its going to be a lonesome summer on empty server.....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

A slice of humble pie for Kander would be really, really expensive! :p

I'm with ya - after losing my money on Landmark I'm very skeptical. I really got my money's worth with the lifetime sub to LOTRO but that's the one and only time something like that has paid off for me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

I remember how jarring it was to get into modern MMORPGs after years of EQOA's placement/tank-n-spank style fights. Even now it makes me want to always watch videos of new raids/trials before going into them, but I've come to really enjoy high-movement fights -- as long as they're well-telegraphed and the developers didn't get too zealous with making it "challenging." On EQ titles, I often spent time sifting through number logs trying to find out which invisible mechanic killed me. On FFXIV, I can at least say; "Yup -- stepped in the bad. Definitely my fault."

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  7. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

The company absolutely disgust me, but I cant stop playing the game for some reason.

How can you defend a 2000 dollars mount. No let me rephrase, how can you defend a $2000 item in a 15 year old game. Pigs.

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Benny took the role of teacher's pet while the seat was still warm.

I don't think Dreamweaver realizes the festering pile he inherited from years of RadarX's pedantic focusing on rules rather than shepherding a vibrant community, and then 2 years of an in-over-her-head sycophant who channeled rather than tempering open hostility by devs towards players.

• Agree Agree x 9
  9. Feldon

"I wish our customers would just stop complaining and go away"

THIS CAN BE ARRANGED

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Zorvan

Zorvan Member

Oh, did I just miss something?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Feldon

Just more Discord bans from people asking reasonable but "impertinent" questions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 2
  12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

If you know any folks in particular, have them get a hold of Dreamweaver...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Zorvan

Zorvan Member

Ah, okay. Normal stuff. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

There's millennia of history available to show how well not being able to take criticism and only surrounding yourself with sycophants works out.

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

Avithax got it right. He referred to them as DogPoo Games in a post yesterday on OF. I'm still laughing about it.

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

The controversy, negative feedback (or shitstorm nowadays) around the new loot crates seem to have "stirred up some s..t" at DBG/DPG.

Kander posted the follwoing on discord:

KanderYesterday at 10:30 PM
    We will be putting in ways to earn crates in game and most likely a way to grab a bundle for monthly station cash and looking at a few other ways to earn them in game. Also, we believe we found, finally the issue with Overseer loot and hopefully have a fix for that on Tuesday. Thanks for everyone's patience.

I wonder if this Jenn Chens first action.

• Informative Informative x 6
  17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It's the sort of thing companies have said and done before. They sell the idea of gambling and the players grumble. They add the gambling mechanic to the game and players get loudly pissed off. Then the company claims that due to popular demand/pressure from the player base that they're going to put things in place to mitigate the cost of gambling or the method by which the gambling is done. See, they're listening! (always give them the impression that you care)

But, did they offer to remove the gambling mechanic? Did they offer to lower the cost of the gambling or increase the chance to win somehow?

They're still going to get their money. They just want to reduce the immediate whining while most of the players get accustomed to being fleeced.

EDIT: I can't find it now, but there is some interesting information out there using the introduction of loot crates into ESO as an example of how these companies manipulate the players into not only accepting something they hate, but happily participating in it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'll see it to believe it. If these "in-game" alternatives are locked behind a massive rng wall, then the promise is little more than an attempt to fleece customers.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

It's already been happening - apparently slowly. I left 2-3 years ago (forgot exactly) because my legitimate concerns were ignored and some of the devs attitudes were so arrogant.

They're still operating under the model of "if we build it they will come (and throw money at us)". That ship has sailed. It's a different landscape for MMOs these days. I would argue that the MMO demographic is older now, which I would think means a little wiser in most cases - and probably a lot more skeptical.

• Agree Agree x 10
  20. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Forget other companies, SOE has done this before. It's a trademark move. Introduce something to the game - mechanics, cash shop, etc - in such a manner that players, even the quiet ones, get in an uproar, then walk it back a step, a small step. The result is still a ridiculous level, but the company gets to pat themselves on the back and cash in on players that, for some reason, fell for it. Again.

• Agree Agree x 7