1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

GU106 - What do you think?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Shmogre, May 5, 2018.

1. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

If I have to pick a Hill to die on I'd rather it be Blueberry than Hamburger.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

As someone who has seen both, I can't agree more. Is that a quote from someone else or did you make it up? Just want to make sure I cite it properly because I'm going to use it, probably a lot.

3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It was just off the top of my head. To be fair, my step-dad was a marine who served through Vietnam until Desert Storm. My dad was a marine who was injured in Vietnam and passed away when I was a kid. My mother's father was Navy and served in both Korea and Vietnam. etc. Basically, I partly grew up on base so I heard stories about some things before movies came out about them. I very well might have heard or read someone say something similar when I was a kid. No credit needed.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I live in the Southern US, where Lost Causes are a cultural cornerstone. After a while...you just have to move on. And I'm close myself.

5. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

You know, I recently dabbed into WoW again. Yes yes I know, EQ and EQ2 players have a lot against that game for various reasons but for the sake of argument hear me out.

The game wow, released 2 months before EQ2, yet have had its engine updated several times. Not only for generic fluffy graphics update, but the API now runs on DX9/11 and even DX12 if you so desire. Thats pretty impressive for a game from 2004. The game runs so smooth that you can play it on everything ranging from a toaster to a NASA computer. I just recently tried to raid on maximum graphics in 1440p and to my surprise, I had over 80FPS that entire raid. If I try the same in EQ2 even on maximum performance, I am lucky if I can get above 50 when there is action. Plus wow has a lot more mechanics and flashy stuff happening. The game in 2018 can look like an absolute stunner. A lot of players hate the graphic style, but thats a whole other discussion.

Now, the game isnt just all about graphical fidelity though. Lets look at what blizz has added through out the years and not removed.

A fast working LFG tool so players from all skill levels can enjoy heroic content. Mythic+ difficulties for the non casual players that enjoys 5 man content.

Battle grounds/arena and rated battlegrounds. The new warmode that lets you toggle on/off world pvp while in main cities.

Quests and more quests. Actual fun quests with flying, bombing, using vehicles, being transformed into pets or other beings.

Raids. Actual mechanics that isnt just joust 19m away from X mob. Every fight is a Trakanon fight, with more mechanics.

Pets that can battle other pets and mobs in the world. Not just a p2w stack stick that follows you around.

Over 450 various mounts and almost 700 different toys and gadgets.

Updated UI that doesnt look like something from early 2000. Various MOD and UI support. Open armory AI and they never once threaten to shut down.

Account shared achievements, so you actually want to do them and can have alts that can do other stuff your main didnt do.

Talents, stats and rotation pruning. Over the years a lot of classes lost abilities and talents. This is absolute true. But blizzard believes in having more impactful spells over more spells and letting players be envolved in the actual fight instead of button smashing. WoW just had its 2nd stat squish and while there are still some issues with lower level mobs being too strong, its a pleasure being able to easily and without much fuss discover which item you want to use and how much damage you do to a mob just looking at the combat text.

The biggest and one of the most serious issues is that max level is now 120. This means that while you level, there can be a long spell/talent drought as you level up and a lot of the core mechanics to classes wont be unlocked until your early 30s or 40s. Huge issue that blizzard is well aware of and they even talked about considering a level squish. However they currently have no idea how that would work.

So all in all, yes EQ2 was a good game. But for the last decade they made an absolute **** out of the game and it just continues. How the people in charge of the title still has a job working on the game is beyond me.

When was the last time players actually came out and said an expansion was good? We gotta travel all the way back to at least TSO or SF.... Which is now almost 8 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Yes, I met a guy on a free Wow server and he had fun working with me. He had a blizz account and he decided to return to WoW and offered to pay for my account if I would go. So I play WoW (mainly with him though I log on to fool around with my garrison) when he is free and I play EQ and EQ2. Yeah, I caretake for an older cousin who lost a leg to illness a few years ago. On very limited income, but we don't go hungry or not able to pay our bills but with no money left over for luxuries (or not much). So when he doesn't need me, im online. I am mainly here as support to assist him for now before I go back to college.

Yes, I do like WoW. However, WoW as well as EQ2, has many nasty elitist type players, why I don't go LFG unless I go as dps. My friend likes to tank so we don't have to wait more than a few minutes for a group. As a monk healer (not a good one, btw) I refuse to heal others (no fast heals, almost all HoT spells) but I will heal him as we group as he doesn't pull fast and if someone gets too impatient, he will let them die... as will I.

7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yep. This exactly why the stale "eq2 is dying because it's old" argument is nonsense.

Eq2 is dying because because of terrible management and a culture that could care less about what customers want.

WoW is still going strong because Blizzard listens to feedback, responds to it, and isn't lazy about maintaining and updating the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

So, they are continuing to dribble in heals to % of health.

And according to the notes, 2 heroic missions were previously tabled to drop scrolls, and now they all have a "chance" to drop them...

9. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Yup.. the horror of % based healing is already spreading to live...
    The devs seem bound and determined to push through the utterly assinine idea of % based heals.
    I'm afraid to see how many deaths I'm going to see in my expert groups now... since I solo heal on my warden.

They're also neutering mana feeds... no doubt w/o changing the mana drains
    New DBG moto
    If something is broken... BREAK IT WORSE!!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

SOE's motto was Fix it until it's broken.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1