1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Future of EQII

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by felix, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Nolus

Nolus Member

My conclusion is this:

Unless they change hands and someone who knows what they are doing run the company and game development at the helm, there is no hope.

Still wonder how much CN would want for DB, maybe kickstarterable purchase.

CN will just milk it until it's dead.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

No one is gonna buy the eq2 franchise.

Milk it till it's dead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Which I don't think will be too much longer :( I think the tipping point (or point of no return) is very fast approaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I think so too.

But you know what, this is how markets are supposed to work. They reward well run companies and punish poorly run companies, even if it means they fail and go away.

This is not just about the eq franchise. The entire brand may fail unless there are drastic changes to how they do business.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

They seemed to shift entirely to H1Z1 (not the zombie game, the pvp game) as it was bringing in big bucks for a while. But then PUBG showed up. No idea what they'll do next as MMOs are clearly NOT their future and now they're starting to skate out onto the thin ice of competing with a hungrier leaner competitor.

H1Z1 was a perfect, if unsustainable storm. No matter what, SOE/DGC will always lack the devs, community, platform, and support to quickly adapt to market changes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Feldon

h1z1steam.png
    the_almighty_loaf.jpg

h1z1steamvspubg.png

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Only way this franchise has a future is if someone with resources picks it up, lets it lay fallow while they work on a solid updated engine, then start over with the IP and new tech.

Honestly, I don't see that happening, though I have been pleasantly surprised on various subjects before.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Regarding H1Z1, my speculation is that it was a quick cash grab from the start. Smed (or someone else) saw that survival games with zombies was "very inn" at that time. So they hurried to develop the game and released it filled with bugs and exploits, like everything they do. They payed a bunch of popular twitch-streamers to play it for marketing... It was popular for a little while, untill people got pissed nothing ever got fixed... streamers uninstalled on stream cursing DBG... When PUBG was released people switched and left H1Z1 in the dust.

I too wonder what they are developing next.... what piece of crap will they hype this time? I doubt they learned that to grow a HUGE pool of players you actually need to release polished games.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Feldon

Do game companies still write their own engines? Is that really still a thing?

11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I like how the market for game engines is evolving. Let them compete, watch the engines get better, and let's gaming companies focus on creating fun.

Be interesting to see where this leads.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I think City State has done their own engine for Camelot Unchained because they need it to do very specific things that tweaking current engines won't provide and don't usually focus on: large scale pvp battles that can hold up with several hundred to a thousand participants + animations and effects.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Feldon

So... Forgelight. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I don't know what Forgelight is? I'm not terribly good with tech names.

I just know they have done their own in house and it appears to be standing up very well to some pretty brutal stress testing.

Edit: OH! You mean SOE's engine. HAHA. No. No it's nothing like that from what we've seen so far.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Archangel

Archangel New Member

The rumor I got ...... Some EQ2 devs were promised high positions on the H1Z1 gravy train, when EQ2 transitions. Hence the snark. Only the gravy train turned into the gravey train.

Watch the health of the H1Z1 franchise. When it goes more south, see Feldon's charts, I suspect a Daybreak selloff or shutdown of assets. H1Z1 or DC Universe Online won't be the first out the cost cutting door.

Steam Charts are a subset of the total player base. Representing trends, not total players.
    Except for the H1Z1 variants, which were launched on Steam. Likely represents total players.

DC Universe Online - Steam Charts
    - All-Time Peak 3,112
    - Average Players 30 days 535
    -- 30 Days Down 2.4%
    EverQuest Free-to-Play - Steam Charts
    - All-Time Peak 803
    - Average Players 30 days 237
    -- 30 Days Up +17.7%
    EverQuest II - Steam Charts
    - All-Time Peak 523
    - Average Players 30 days 149
    -- 30 Days Down -1.5%
    H1Z1 - Steam Charts
    - All-Time Peak 150,179
    - Average Players 30 days 9,360
    -- 30 Days Down -22.9%
    Just Survive - Steam Charts
    - All-Time Peak 40,254
    - Average Players 30 days 879
    -- 30 Days Down -19.3%

The competition.

PUBG PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - Steam Charts
    - All-Time Peak 3,236,027
    - Average Players 30 days 1,500,893
    -- 30 Days Down -5.3%

Postmortem of Service Outage at 3.4M CCU 2/8/2018
    Fortnite hit a new peak of 3.4 million concurrent players last Sunday

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Feldon

H1Z1 can only be bought on Steam, so no hiding the numbers! Actually, they originally weren't going to have ANY forums. Just Reddit and Steam comments. I will never understand a company -- especially a SOFTWARE COMPANY -- that has so little interest in controlling their own message.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Oh, these people are highly controlling.

It's just that they harbor an arrogant disdain for a professional marketing infrastructure and so they won't pay for those resources.

All well and good 15 years ago when the game was pretty good, but just as social media can grow your brand, it can also kill it when a company starts pissing people off

So, rather than looking inward and improving their product and marketing strategy, they bully, bulls**t, and alienate anyone who calls them out on their product quality and business practices

They don't hire marketing professionals and resources because they don't respect the field, and don't see any need to pay for them.

These people are indeed extremely arrogant and disrespectful toward their customers and the gaming community, and clueless about how to run a good business.

Perhaps CN can slap some sense into them, but I suspect they are going to wring as much cash out of the assets as they can and then sell off what they can.

The management culture at DB is at this moment, not capable of producing a healthy, long term business.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Even if I assume that the non-steam players are 100 times the steam average, and all paying $15/month to sub, for a full year, that is just under 2.7 million dollars in gross revenue. There is no way that EQ2 is profitable, it's actually at the bottom of the list.

You know, strangely, EQ1 has made a HUGE push for tradeskilling, and it is seriously driving the economy now. TS'ers in EQ1 are now making some of the best gear in the game, and are pretty pleased to be able to make things and sell them in the Bazaar for some serious profits, while EQ2 is just moving more and more to a single zone raiders zergfest with idiotic scripting.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

After Landmark launched, they slowly transitioned developers off to Just Survive and H1Z1, then pulled more from JS over to H1Z1 in order to focus and hopefully compete with PUBG. We all saw how successful they were. :rolleyes:

90% sure JS will be Landmark'd (my phrase I coined - the process Daybreak used to shut down Landmark), but keep it around until 2019 for the tax write-off. Is it any wonder why Landmark was shut down immediately after New Years?

Anyway, EQ2 has the potential, blah blah we heard it all, but it'll take a miracle to save it. Daybreak kills miracles, though. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You can lead a gnome to water, but you can't make them come out of the bubble and drink it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1