1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Forbes: New ‘EverQuest II’ Expansion ‘Blood of Luclin’ Marks 15 Years With Trip To The Moon

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Except as a single studio they could share things... like the folk that did livecasts. As seperate studios, none have enough demand for that role, so it goes away, from all games...
    Seperate often costs more, because there are zero shared resources.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

United we stand, divided we fall

Maybe someone needs to remind DBG that!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Splitting up the company don't help the core issue:

Lack of self discipline as a company to oversee teams and make sure games are fun and have an audience and that development is not being misspent.

So they burn $100 million on dead end projects or chasing trends that other more agile studios beat them to. Fortnite is h1z1 + EQNext building + PS2. SOE should have been the one to do it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah. To me, none of this was unexpected, and these moves are entirely consistent with the strategy I have suspected DBG is executing.

I'm more curious about how the sub fees and higher order resources are going to be spread around under this new structure. For example, in terms of sub fees, it's safe to assume that EQ1 is carrying the lion's share of the load for the other three titles. Eq2 likely coming in a distant second.

Understanding more definitively what DBG is doing structurally, the lifetime sub offer makes more sense for DBG, and implies even more that the company is setting up individual franchises such that they can be funded, bankrupted, or sold more easily and without co-mingling the assets of the parent company.

Presumably, DBG is going to sail this ship as if it is a publisher, and Longdale will run Darkpaw(?) as a studio. I know she shares development resources between eq and eq2, but I'm also curious about if there are any folks, like the engineers and art folks for example, who float among all the titles.

Also, and finally, I don't believe this eq2 team can survive under an arrangement like this.

Well actually, I believe the only shot this game has is if it stabilizes around a small population of p2w raiders and deco folks. If they are able to focus their resources on these two segments, they might be able to make things work ok.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

If they split up (or better: The moment they split up) lifetime subs might truly be a thing of interest.
    I know they have to account for all the station cash on the accounts - so it wouldn't make me wonder they have to account for lifetime subs one way or the other, too.

I just read up on how they announced it. It was an "Lifetime* All Access Membership" and also made sure to note that "All Access currently includes DC Universe Online, EverQuest, EverQuest 2, and PlanetSide 2." (watch that "currently")
    Does anybody remember if they ever gave any guarantee that a game will only vanish from the All Access in case of sunset but never because they want to remove it?

In such a case they could just refactor "All Access" so that it only contains one game and you have to decide which you want to keep.

6. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

My guess it is only split up on paper for "shady" book keeping reasons... Don't forget that it is an investment company that own DBG and all the sub companies.

DBG is not about making good games any more, it is about how much can they squeeze out of the existing customers before they go bankrupt and used as a tax write off vs other profits from other investments. Nothing but the bare minimum goes back into the games, the rest is sent straight to the owners.

On another note, that bug report section on the official forum is now up to 12 pages of posts from this expansion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

As a player of LOTRO I can say that the separation helps a little but not much. The thing that is great about LOTRO is the lower level game is still thriving and active and the lore is very compelling. However, if you go read the LOTRO forums, the high end game suffers from pay to win complaints. I'm not at the end game there even though I've played from the beginning (got a lifetime sub at the start). I have an 80something but a lot of other alts and I'm content to doodle around because the lore is great, the low level game fun and full of other players, the in game events/festivals are compelling, you can learn to play any song you want on instruments in game, etc. But if their forums are accurate there is a lot of "pay to win" stuff built into the end game. It adds to the reason I haven't rushed forward and instead explore new classes (the classes IMO are far more interesting and different than in EQ2).

For those who don't know, Standing Stone Games is the company that develops LOTRO now (used to be Turbine), but Daybreak Games produces the game.

8. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I see that DCUO is no longer listed at the bottom of the login screen - only EQ and PS2. Are they still going? Are they still included in All Access if they are?

9. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Feldon

We had plat exploits that totally wrecked eq2 economy twice now, let it go on for months, and then when they finally realized did nothing about it except patching the exploit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Yep, after all, they don't play their own game so why bother? If they did on a more consistant basis, they would have discovered it a lot quicker. And they obviously don't listen to the cliens/customers who reported something wrong or they would have eventually looked into faster than months later!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Feldon

This all comes back to, EQ2 has almost no metrics on player enjoyment/experience. They know how many times each zone is run and make huge decisions based on that. They don't seem to know when plat exploits are running rampant, when a zone is painful and people hate it, but are forced to run it for the powerful drops.

SOE/Daybreak is a naïve company. They are process-focused on releasing software updates and games. They have little awareness of what its customers want. They do few surveys. They do not have focus groups. They no longer collect feedback when people cancel accounts. They have no connection to or support of fan sites. They track few if any statistics on how customers perceive their content. They put out expansions and don't get introspective unless sales measurably drop.

Disney is a natural company. They are customer-focused. They do exhaustive surveys, focus groups, use social media influencers, collect mountains of feedback from current and former customers. They integrate mountains of statistics and metrics into their decision-making processes. Notice that Pixar has never made an unsuccessful movie? Notice that all 22 Marvel Cinematic Universe films were at least decent to excellent? They have self-discipline and carefully consider all their decisions.

I'm not saying SOE/Daybreak needs to become Disney, but their mechanism of operation really only works if you are manufacturing nuts and bolts. Even car manufacturers have discovered the benefits of being customer-focused lifestyle brands instead of aluminum repackagers.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Appreciation x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Compounding the problem, their idea of customer profiling appears to be looking backward to see what people do without considering that their game design forces to people to do stuff they don't enjoy.

I literally laughed out loud when Longdale was touting all the customer data they use to understand what their customers want. Think of statistical bias and precision this way: Imagine a target with a bulls eye in the center - that's the true mean value. Now imagine a very wide (not precise) confidence band around it (distribution).

Now imagine the estimated mean value is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy off in the upper right hand corner of the target, it's not even close to the true value but it has has a very small (precise) distribution around it. That's statistical bias, and the way they collect data about customer preferences (game-data analytics, soliciting feedback only from a very small and select group of players) is guaranteed to produce garbage decision-making information. In order to make their data analytics effective, they need to control for design decisions, and as you noted, put significant effort in to qualitative feedback data that reflects the tastes and preferences of all their customers (i.e large samples).

In other words, what would you rather have, accurate but not precise information; or precise information that not accurate?

DBG is a text book example of epic over-confidence; both with respect to marketing and statistical analysis. They do not know what they presume to know, and they're killing their business because of it. Been like this forever.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1