1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Forbes: New ‘EverQuest II’ Expansion ‘Blood of Luclin’ Marks 15 Years With Trip To The Moon

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

And that attitude is really at the root of all the other issues. I can't recall any other game I've played that the devs were so out of touch with their customers and so openly arrogant towards their customers. Even if other game devs feel the same way, at least other game companies have the sense to hire PR people and keep the devs coding, not interacting with and insulting customers.

There are some exceptions on that team of course, I'm not referring to all of them.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

I absolutely loved playing EQ2 in my short time. There was so much exploring and things to do. I was one of those completionist types who wouldn't move on to another area until I had done everything, even finding gear dropped from rare named not found on the wiki. I kept getting PL offers to catch up but I held back. Once I hit max level (F2P), I had like three options - Proving grounds (RIP hahaha), repeating Phantom Sea quests over and over, or join better players to heroic missions where I was a dead weight. I quit after they opened up, uhhhh, Scourge Wastes? to F2P... grinded my way to get Zhugruk-something only to find out I had to be subscribed to use him. Bait and switch. Did lots of public events but it became apparent that success was zilch unless a player with strong ascension stuff came in, then it was guaranteed win. Dismayed, bored, I quit. Anyway, that's my rant.

In other news, Planetside Arena is shutting down. Who DIDN'T see that coming?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Launching a low-budget early access BR game in 2019 was a terrible idea on a lot of levels. Honestly I don't see how anyone at Daybreak expected it to be a success, because even if it was a genuinely good game it has three goliaths to compete against in Apex, Fortnite, and PUBG. And that's besides the fact that the niche they were trying to create was something no one was asking for.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

It is a strange decision. It's not like the zones are large enough to manufacture a time sink with it. Also, if they are somehow under the impression that having people running around will help the game "feel" more alive, what are they gonna do the week after launch?

In general, they manufacture annoyances when the want to point people to the cash shop. So, what's this about? What's the point of irritating people for no apparent reason?

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

My biggest complaint isn't the decisions themselves, but the lack of useful communication.
    They have declined to explain most of their decisions about design choices and mechanics changes.
    Some of the devs were very responsive when it came to bug reports (or things that we just thought were bugs), while others tended towards snark and a few complete and total radio silence.
    Much of crafting is a confused mess right now. There has been LOTS of feedback but, aside from quest/sig line related stuff (gninja has actually been great with the TS line this expac), there have been almost no changes (aside from actually adding recipes and stats to items) and ZERO communication from the dev in charge of TS recipes and itemization.

The itemization itself is a mess
    ALL crafted items, yes ALL of them, are tagged NO VALUE. That was commented on as soon as the recipes could be viewed and there has been no change and no communication. Not even a 'well get to it' or 'yeah.. we (I?) decided to make this change because reasons'
    Handcrafted gear stuff is identical to the stuff in the freebie crate.. except the free gear has adorns.. so all wearable handcrafted gear is literally DoA unless things change
    Mastercrafted gear is WORSE than solo quest rewards.. so, again, what's the point?
    Mastercrafted Fabled gear is on par with solo quest rewards... which is beyond stupid.. since they require extra special super rare rares.

The super rare rares.. we never actually got to test the harvesting of those because the dev in charge of itemization never got around to putting the actual TS sig line reward into beta.
    And it's what allows 'shadow prospecting'... sort of allows that is..
    It has a clicky buff
    For 5 minutes, you can see the 'seeping shadows'.
    As soon as you actually harvest any shadowed materials (not rares, just any materials) the buff is reduced to 30 SECONDS
    The reuse on this buff is 2 HOURS
    Shadow prospecting is a skill.. by the end of the sig line we have 25/600 skill

Experts take 2 shadowed rares (and 2 totally random food rares) per combine.

And this 'buff' and actually harvested shadow mats hasn't been tested... aaaaand it won't even be testable on live for a while, because they decided to lock the completion of the tradeskill sig line between items on 3 seperate research NPCs (they work similar to The Anchorage NPCs)... so it may be days or weeks until we can even test of the 'buff' works
    Oh.. and the researchers never worked properly on beta.. one giving the wrong quest and none of them offering their quest a 2nd time...

I have to say kudos to gninja for the crazy amount of time he spent on the TS line while also being solely responsible for raid content, but the other dev(s) working on TS... I have no polite words to share.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Shocked Shocked x 4
  6. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Ever since Domino decamped, there's been nobody worth their salt to watch over tradeskills. And it shows, xpac after xpac.

As for itemization, they've vacillated between "almost useless" and "why bother?" constantly for nearly a decade now. Just pathetic.

I have yet to hear any reason to regret my exit from this game. Which is sad, really.

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Making all crafted gear NO VALUE, so it can't be salvaged, transmuted or even sold for fuel cost is above and beyond 'not useful'.

And, to be fair, Gninja has worked his butt off on the past two TS sig lines and done a good job of it. It's just too big a job for one person when that person is also responsible for all the raid content. Gninja is NOT responsible for the itemization or the recipes that's always been Caith's responsibility.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

NO VALUE on crafted gear means less ways to get infusers and push people towards to shop to get those.

Harder to make experts is another push towards the shop for people to buy research reductions.

The milking continues.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Geez, man, I'm sold. I'm going to buy 7 copies of the expansion tomorrow to support my local game developer. I want to sleep on it first and see if I can avoid being homicided by Tekka or my own second thoughts. But, as soon as I'm sure, I'm running out to my local retailer to buy me some hard copies of the game! Then I'm going to party like it's 1999...

;)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I am trying to remember Caith ever giving a crap about feedback and communication.

Nope. No records match search criteria.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Shocked Shocked x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

academy_award_best_comment.jpg

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I really fail to understand how they managed to mess up crafting so thoroughly. I know there's not enough resource and time but surely the easiest answer to that would be to see what had gone before and just keep doing it? Surely this should have been easy enough since Domino used to document everything and I'm pretty sure Niami could probably fill in any gaps short of actual coding knowledge. Instead they seem to have opted to virtually re-write the system from level 100 up. And not in a way that anyone seems to appreciate.

I guess Shadow Skills are the crafting equivalent of the stupid Ascension system? I didn't bother playing that game either :(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I'm beginning to think it's simply become a bad habit they can't break. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  14. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

No. There is one 'shadow prospecting' skill. It's only for shadowed materials. Unless tradeskill itemization changes, the only things worth making with shadowed mats are experts and a few red runes.
    Only things worth making w/o shadowed mats will be consumables.. but not ammo.. they've declined to make craftable ammo for BoL so far.

• Shocked Shocked x 4
  15. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

But it has a workable skill level with an insanely high max? Until they introduce the cash shop 'training' option. Isn't that what people complained about with the Ascension system?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I was smelling something along these lines also. Perhaps this is why the orange runes no longer work?

I mean, they really hadn't adopted any cash shop mechanics into the crafting game. Perhaps this is a way for them to do that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

There were odd things like being able to buy harvest bundles but if they had any sense they'd realise that they don't need to milk crafters. Most crafters also tend to be decorators and decorators usually drop a ton of money on the cash shop without being coerced. This kind of nonsense is just likely to send them running for the hills of a new game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

/ponders founding "Norrathian Refugee Resettlement Agency"

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. azulkb

azulkb New Member

LUCIN was a great moment on everquest 1.

a game where it was a choice to replace your equipment, gradually and where you didn't throw everything away every year.
    Either the raid had a meaning, and either it was the collective and not the farm that allowed to progress his character.

On eq2 as I stopped last year, I am not impacted by this xpac. But I have a thought for all those who couldn't resist spending on krono to avoid the grind... and who have to do everything from scratch again.

I have a thought for my friends casters who lose the double cast because daybreack no longer has the means to maintain its servers.

I have a thought for those who thought about the balance of classes that will never come.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

The numbers aren't looking great from this reddit post.
    I had actually thought about giving EQ2 another go after a couple years of being away, since I really did LOVE the Luclin expansion in EQ1, but everything I read about it makes it look like some of the reviews for "Cats" the movie.
    Oh well, since I walked away from Daybreak and their games, I've saved something upwards of $1500.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2