1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with Stach. It's likely to be some kind of half-done, half-assed BR event brought out in the second or third quarter of next year for the obligatory "token grind cause we don't have any content" event.

I also suspect they are interested in beta testing stuff for the real project they have been working on (aka fail incoming).

Lastly, think "class balancing". Design team throws it out there, and if plans change, don't say anything.

When people start raising hell, Roxxlyy can always say, "It was just an idea, we didn't commit to anything". Which is actually the right way for her to handle it.

Shouldn't Kander be banned for rumor mongering? I mean, it's his go-to move.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

How does this off set though? casual players dont want challenges? Oh yes they do, but they dont want to farm the same 5 heroic zones for 3 months for some arbitrary stat called Resolve just so they dont get one shot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, the raiders have been leaving in droves. The brain trust at DBG has finally figured out you can't support revenue goals by building everything around the comparatively small number of hard core raiders.

Honestly, they are kidding themselves and once again, revealing they either don't know what the hell they are doing, or are simply trying to spin perception to lure back all the casual players (i.e. those that have a life outside of the game) they ran off over the last three years.

"Casuals" want lots of different things to do, and, they want it to be challenging (i.e. fun). Are they going to deliver that? Of course not.

This whole spin attempt, once again, strikes me as a desperate attempt to stem the bleeding. No substance to it. Just selling a nothing burger to the customers they have lost.

Note: BTW, AoC is currently using a BR environment to stress test their servers and combat mechanics.

All the reports coming back are really postive for an alpha.

Good luck competing against customer-focused dev's who know what they are doing, DBG.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised mine is still there..
    I pretty much said they don't have enough bodies for just PvE and crafting.. and if they want to add 'new stuff', they should add more devs....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

So far, the timeline/progress bar is:

1. There will be a PvP server (Kander)
    2. There won't be a PvP server (Roxxlyyy)
    3. There will be something similar to a PvP server (Caith)
    4. There may or may not be anything like a PvP server, who knows (Roxxlyyy)
    There are a few issues I see with this whole desperately-clutching-at-straws scenario:
    • People don't manage their expectations, so will be highly disappointed when whatever they turn out (IF they turn anything out at all) doesn't meet their mental projections of what they think it should look like. Disappointed folks = more leaving the game.
    • DBG couldn't manage a piss-up in a brew....errrr a PvP server that was successful with full staff. How are they going to do this on a skeleton crew?
    • If it does come to pass, the already struggling populations of the existing servers are going to take a significant hit when people run off to the latest new, shiny thing. While this doesn't bother me as I don't group or raid, it is going to impact on a lot of others in the game (maybe that's why the xpac is going to be casual-friendly?). What will also take a hit with the removal of players from servers will be the in-game economy - there will be few left to buy your stuffs on the broker. Mind you, that might not be a bad thing - some serious deflation is badly needed.
    Yet again, DBG have shown just how inept they are, particularly with communication.

Edit: Because spelling doesn't happen without a cup of tea...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The fact that Roxxlyy clearly had no idea (she claims) that this pvp thingie was in the works leads me to believe it is somehow tied to Longdale's project; either testing ideas or rolling beta for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

EQ2 players are better informed than people whose job it is to be informed?

You know... I've got an idea for a fan site.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 8
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Don't burn yourself out, Feldon, make sure it's something you'll still want to be doing, oh, 13 years later...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Prediction:

With the knowledge that DBG has in fact been dicking around with another pvp concept, people are going to be seriously pissed if the next expansion is garbage.

Letting that cat out of the bag, given the quality of the game and population numbers, was mind-numbingly stupid.

This could be the final straw for a lot of people.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Don't you mean, "WHEN the next expansion is garbage"?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

It already is, even though it isn't even out for testing yet.
    I have happily dumped EQ2 entirely, and purged it from my computers.
    Tried a bunch of games, sort of like WoW again, but I've really been playing SWTOR hard lately. I actually enjoy the story lines, and the interaction with NPC's.
    EA (even though generally evil), and Bioware have excellent customer service, even recovering an account I had and the characters from the SWTOR beta. I accidentally started the KOTFE story line on one of my toons, and got so absorbed in it, I played it for 4 days straight through hurricane Florence.
    EQ1 is doing wellish, strangely, but I just can't go there unless they actually upgrade the broken game engine.
    I also still play LOTRO sometimes, as it is a pretty good game, with good storylines.
    I just don't see EQ2 continuing much at all.
    Just look at reddit active members in the groups...
    Everquest 1: 7600 subscribers, 103 online right now.
    LOTRO: 16,100 subscribers, 187 online.
    SWTOR: 79,400 subscribers, 803 online.
    WoW: 822,000 subscribers, 26,700 online.
    ESO: 162,000 subscribers, 2,400 online
    EQ2: 2,600 subscribers, 27 online.
    And strangely, SigDerf isn't one of them.

ETA: I love some of the humorous flavor aspects in LOTRO, and SWTOR. In LOTRO, when I'm feeling sulky, I can go to Forechel, and push over an ice-skater. (Okay, I'm sadistic). In SWTOR, I can kill bouncers outside of clubs, so the "Unattractive patrons" can actually run in.
    EQ2 has no story, and no flavor anymore. Just rinse and repeat grind, and I seriously doubt that they are going to do any different this next expansion.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I've played a lot of games over the years. I don't actively try to drive people away from EQ2, but I also haven't actively recommended it in a long time. Decorating is one of the few things EQ2 had going for it most of its existence. Unfortunately for decorators WildStar is about to die, but there are other games out or coming out that can fill that niche. I'd argue some are/will be better.

Combat, story, performance, population, etc; lots of games out there are doing things better. I've very much enjoyed games like GW2, ESO, and SWTOR in recent months. I'm not going to necessarily recommend them to someone in EQ2 unless prompted to do so, but I will recommend any number of other games over EQ2, including EQ1, to other people who ask. It's not that I think EQ2 is hot garbage, but I am of the opinion that the company and the devs have seriously dropped the ball over the last few years. Worse, they don't seem to care. So why would I tell other people to play it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

What do you mean? Can't you feel the hype and excitement from the playerbase that any other MMO would have just 1½ month away from a new expansion launch?

EQ2 players are afraid, not excited about new expansions.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Preorder today! Play the beta today! See all of the content in the expansion today! (Seriously hope that's not the case...)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Feldon

Find out what's actually in the expansion (and all the things we dropped and didn't tell you about) after we receive your non-refundable payment!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

It's got sling shots! They're the coolest thing EVER!! Get your pre-order Sling Shots!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The CE slingshot gives you a +100,000 potency buff.

Faceroll all 11 hours of our bug-ridden and unfinished heroic content today for the low price of $150 plus the cost of new ascension upgrades!

Best of all, you can pre-order today to get access to beta!

Lastly, we have new familiars! Collect all 20 from the store!

Yay!

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

To be fair, the beta forums were public last year (can't remember if they were the year before as well) so you could see what you were getting yourself into.

20. Feldon

Thanks for reminding me that I have to archive the 2018 beta forums 2 days before they disappear.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1