1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I can count on one hand (and no cheating by including my thumb) the EQ2 CMs who did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Because that worked SOOOO well the last time.
    Though I laugh at the suggestion that TLE PvP is not 'traditional' PvP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

There you go. Current information from The Team about a potential PvP server - whatever "non-traditional" might mean, make of it what you will.

Regardless, it will suck up already extremely limited resources, for what will ultimately fail hard.

Edit: I suspect that in 'Team-speak' non-traditional means they will be using EQ2 (and possibly EQ) to get free testing for their battle royal mobile app aspirations. I mean, why break with tradition?

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I think people have very short memories, and should manage their expectations. There is already one who is extremely excited about the idea and is projecting what they think it will be, forgetting completely that DBG has a proven track record of over-promising and under-delivering. If their expectations are low, they can be delightfully surprised. If too high, however, they will be very disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I can't imagine them adding any new servers of any type when their current servers are lacking in robust population.

In particular, AB is all but dead, and the IOR server might have 50 players on at a time if they are lucky. Also, I think this would negatively impact the FG TLE server as well.

Personally, to stretch the very thin player base any further would be beyond rational comprehension to me at this point.

I guess they see the possibility of $$$$ because they know any pvp style server would most likely bring some players back to the game.

Greed wins again I suppose. I suspect any thing they develop will be lacking in quality and ultimately be frustrating and disappointing for the players just like the TLE servers have been.

Oh well, good luck to them I guess lol :p.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I personally enjoyed the ToV era battlegrounds. I maybe the only one.
    I wonder what they mean by non-traditional though.

Maybe zone from anywhere to the Battle Royale battleground, which starts the H1Z1 game in a modded EQ2 instance.
    Where you drive a Gnomish Mis-calibrated Mechanical Clockwork Warrior and shoot other players with you Mis-Calibrated Z-day gun (reverse engineered from the H1Z1 guns by Norrathian gnomes).
    Said warrior will only hit 1 tine in 10 and move in a different direction from where you push every 30 seconds.
    Pay $5 for a 1 hour buff to calibrate your machinery to make it actually hit something, and move the way you push it.
    Such a buff can also be acquired by killing 1,000 players in your mis-calibrated state.

Killing 100 players will net you a piece of randomized equipment that is best slot for 4 equipment slots in the actual EQ2 game.
    Said random equipment will be no-trade and will be distributed by a heirloom lootbox to the player. It will also work in tandem with the EQ2 Random Number Generator, after killing 2,500 players you will more than likely have 20 pairs of boots, 5 pairs of pants, no chest peices, and no helms.

Disclaimer: I have never played H1Z1.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

[​IMG]

Less challenge... but more grind to sell those skip time tokens is my guess....

Wonder if they fix the client, that have been the biggest challenge: "will it crash or not when I zone this time". :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. RhodrisNZ

More stuff for casuals - acknowledgement of the fact that folks will move to the 'PvP non-traditional thingy' and there will be less people to group and raid with?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I just find it awesome when a dev does something like casually calling what is likely not an insignificant part of their player base casuals as if that term hasn't been used as a dismissive insult for years. Is it being used dismissively or as an insult now? Did he realize he was potentially alienating people? Does he care? It's like these people don't realize their job is as much to be the salesman trying to sell the used car as it is to be the mechanic trying to keep the used car running so people will buy it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

If he ever did, he stopped a long time ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

Kander said
    Pvp server beta coming sometime this year.

Roxxlyy
    said
    ...and we have no plans to launch a new PvP server.

Caith said
    ...and we have no plans to launch a new "traditional" PvP server."

Could this all be a case of semantics around what is the definition of PvP? I'd like to think that all the Red Name are all on the same page, but maybe that is living in the land of rainbows and unicorns

I think in the past it has been part of the SOE / Daybreak culture to modify the expected usage of some terms to fit what they want it to be. The elasticity of marketing and hype building. Whether it is done intentionally to be humorous, or obtuse, or deceptive - - - or maybe perhaps a showing a corporate poker-face to mask the big reveal for later, as a customer it can be very confusing and frustrating.

Could this be non-traditional PVP be a variant of Proving Grounds? Perhaps a 2.0? Was PG a PvP? Perhaps - - you were competing against other players - albeit no to the death, but it was a goal based H2H competition. Perhaps this is an expanding of that...

I believe that there is a corporate direction to create Twitch-able / eSports oriented content. I believe that PGs were an attempt to do that. I don't think that those styles of game play fit into a traditional progress-oriented MMO where there is not an even-stevens playing field for every match. You end up with lopsided play in a have's vs. have-not's match.

I just wonder if this incantation of "PvP" is not what we have seen employed in the past for EQ2 PVP. But who knows especially when it appears that the Red Names on the literal surface seem to contradict each other's messages.

But then again maybe it will be just another revolution of the PvP wheel but this time it is with a "Race To..." twist...or only the four base archetypes as classes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

My initial reaction to that statement went as follows: PoP had almost nothing in the way of non-instanced 'challenging' game play that funneled into dungeons and customers were unhappy about it.

Guk is your challenge this cycle, the new expansion will have a couple more 'quests' than last year to funnel you into whatever we can manage for a dungeon or two. We gave you Guk, what more do you want?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I honestly think they do not have a clear sense of direction and remain incredibly out of touch with the current state of the game in general.

An additional server of any kind without merging the other US servers first will have detrimental consequences for the remaining players imho.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
  14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Which was said and borne out every other time they tried this crap. Learning curves with negative slopes, gotta love 'em.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Do i get a cookie?

'Cause I like cookies, and I feel like I deserve a cookie, man.

J.S.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

No cookies, but have a delicious fish!

17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

First, you ninja trademark the "bubble gnome" label, and now you deny my claims for just reward!

I'm calling your neighbors Tekka, because i suspect stuff has been disappearing from their yards, and I'm confident I know where it is...

/#Tekkavictimsunite

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. stach

stach Member

We all know its going to be a battle royal it is the FoM.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Given the capability and capacity of The Team, all that will happen is you will logon onto to the LTE PvP Server and connect to H1Z1 :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. RhodrisNZ

Lol both mine and Tekka's posts got removed by the Cheerleader-in-Chief of the Ra-Ra Brigade.

Now the CIC is saying that it's not definite, just an "insight into development", whatever that is meant to mean.

• Funny Funny x 2