1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

The thing is that I don't really trust companies anymore that come up with lifetime subs when a game is THAT old ...
    They either need the money desperately or they need to make the bridge more pretty (more "active subs") for a possible buyout.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

I'm the same way with crowd funding. If you can't convince real investors that you have a good idea, why would anyone think it's a good idea to give you money?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

Considering that it would take 4 years at my current rate for that offer to be more beneficial I am just saying "no" :)

I think they might get more to convert if they would credit the remaining time towards the sub - not daybreak cash.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

A few years back I got a lifetime subscription to LoTRO for 200$ when it was a thriving game. NO FREAKING WAY I would spend 300$ on the husk that remains of EQ2. AND they're limiting the number of sales? Have they been feeding marketing lead paint chips?

Also, wasn't it around 2 years ago they offered a year subscription for 75$? Now it's 200$? So full price+ and they justify the cost increase with a tacky 'bonus' item. (a full price year sub is only 180$, BTW)

Since I played last, ESO added 6 and 12 month options to their subscription - 78$ and 140$ respectively. Which comes out to 13$ and 11.50$ per month, because they give you a DISCOUNT for multi-month subs (and bonus crowns for buying larger packs. yes. I love my fluff. -makes whale noises-)

This is just... I don't really have words for it. The sad part is, a few folks will actually fall for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

If people cant see what a desperate move this is, then I have no hope for them. They just keep finding new ways of wringing the dish rag and the rag is down to scraps at this point.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

18 months and one day later, YOU'VE BEEN LANDMARKED!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sikkun

Sikkun New Member

They offered a lifetime when DCUO was launched and I’ve had access to all these games for 7 years now without paying a sub. My opinion has always been the games will still be up at least 1-2 years after they skip/announce an exansion will not be made.

Currently EQ, EQII, and DCUO all are still getting expansions, until that stops I don’t think the game is going to instantly sunset.

But if you already hate the company and no longer play the games, obviously not worthwhile. But I don’t see this as some omen either. There’s a limited 4K subs they are selling and probably a high chance those players will end up either

A) Not be playing long enough to break even, so DBG made more money out of them.

B) Spend more money on the cash shop because the game is now “free”.

I don’t know if I’d buy another lifetime now or not, but my main point is people said it was stupid 7 years ago and I’m currently sitting at over $500 in savings.

(One year sub is still discounted to $120 there is just a “special” bonus sub for $200, which does look like a pretty crappy deal)

8. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

The thing about "limited to 4k subs" is:
    Who is going to check that? If I were DGC I wouldn't mind selling 5k or even 10k based on demand.
    It just makes people decide faster if they get the feeling of "if i am not quick enough ..."

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Disney Vault Syndrome

• Like Like x 4
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Yep I got a LOTRO lifetime sub in the very beginning. Now umpteen years later I'm still thrilled with that decision. No way would I go back to EQ2 at this point. I mean the main issue is, it's just not fun for me anymore and some of the employees disdain for us (the customers) is sickening. No way I'd support that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  11. Semisus

Semisus New Member

4k subs is probably more than eq2 has at this point

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I have a Star Trek Online lifetime sub and while I have got my monies worth out of it I would not purchase another in any game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I play the STO for free from time to time. Got several toons there but only one at 65.

14. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Its the development team's job to work on the game. They aren't going to just show up to work and do literally nothing until they are guaranteed the game is definitely going to last 2-3 more years. As I said in another reply, they are going to tell everyone they are working on the game indefinitely right up until they aren't.

FYI, Most of SOE employees had ZERO idea they were getting sold off and name changed until there was construction crews in the lot tearing down the SOE logos off the side of the buildings. I know because I was there the day they were doing it. The public press release was also the company wide memo.

• Shocked Shocked x 5
  15. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

#1 As long as there is a paycheck involved, of course they will show up and do nothing. They have pretty much been doing that anyway. Plus, they get so much free time to lord over the dwindling player base and gleefully delete posts, ban forum and discord accounts...
    #2 Daybreak IS SOE. It wasn't like a new company came in and bought out the IP, SOE just spun off the division, gave it a new name, and washed its hands of the mess. The same people were involved, and in charge, except for Smed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Feldon

SOE was run with little to no business sense or fiscal discipline. Maybe if it had, Daybreak wouldn't be having to continue the procession of layoffs and deep cuts already well under way under the SOE name.

Not saying that Columbus Nova's stewardship approach is better or worse. Only that it's the inevitable result of 2 decades of an unsustainable cash burn.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Sikkun

Sikkun New Member

I’m just saying as far as I can tell, so far SoE/DBG has never pulled the plug on a game before pulling the plug on content updates.

While anything is possible, with their track record, new content (now matter how cheaply made) tells me the game is still producing milk. Once new content stops, they drain the cow until it no longer covers sever cost, and then kill it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Haven't most of their closure announcements been in early spring, with an early summer shut down? That's before their usual update cycle.

They didn't wind down LoN, as far as I remember. And for Landmark they were still promoting cash shop sales right up to the day of the closure announcement.

19. Feldon

I can see Sikkun's point. They hadn't had a new lon deck in years and landmark forums had been radio silence for months and months.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sikkun

Sikkun New Member

Landmark I don’t know, that whole thing always seemed shady to me. As Feldon said LoN stopped seeing new decks.

SWG went years without an expansion.
    Matrix online, no one played but went years without updates.

Free Realms at best I can tell it was over a year without really a patch (harder to find info).

But for a well known game like EQ/EQII no matter how **** they have been at running things, they kept the Mac server up way past the point of profit. I expect content creation to fully stop first.

Unless they go completely bust, bankruptcy and no one cares about the IP enough to buy it. Then yeah, instant shutdown. (I guess this scenario could be more plausible, but because they are not publically traded now, harder to really know).

I will say it was fun seeing 150+ people last night on the FV server Christmas party last night on EQ1, but then you remember you used to see population like that in zones all the time.