1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

DBG Focus

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Bursck, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Bursck

Bursck New Member

Had a bit of an off-topic question. One of the other threads had a link to careers postings for DBG and I was surprised to see 58 postings. I know the staff for EQ2 is pretty small, so is DGB focusing on their other games or are they developing new games? I was curious if anyone knew. I didn't want to try to decipher the job postings and guess heh.

I seem to recall when SOE sold everything that the plan was to develop other games, but there's very little out there that I've seen anyhow.

I guess you can add me to the long time players frustrated with EQ2. Raiding with long time friends and hunting for old quests is all that keeps me playing right now. Elder Scrolls Online and PC games like Fallout 4 are more fun for me right now. But, there's a part of me wondering if DBG was starting any fresh games that might be worthwhile one day..ahh who am I kidding?

Bursck

2. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Seriously Bursck, if DBG announced that they were coming out with anything, would you actually consider it?
    I'm at the point that their reputation is so far down in the mud that I wouldn't even look at the promotional materials for anything else they announce. They don't have the talent, vision, or capability of developing anything other than a zergfest at this point, and without actually putting money into it, they never will.

And they aren't putting money into this. Or anything. This is just a tax write-off for them, as long as their Russian Overlords (true) find the write-off beneficial. Once it isn't, they will bail.

3. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

They're supposedly making two new games. Recently Daybreak applied the trademark for the name "Parabolic", and more than a year ago, "Mythwarden". One is a FPS shooter, the other attempting to be an MMO.

It's all mostly speculation, but Daybreak trying to make new games is a very sad endeavor. As Khendrask said, it makes sense they're only doing it to give it a large tax write-off, i.e. dump only 3-5 million in making a piece of crap, claim it a total loss worth 30 million.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Last time I looked into it, DCUO still had a reasonable player base, and had hired a former head of Cryptic Studios (city of heroes/villains, later Star Trek Online and Champions Online) Jack Emmert to oversee things. That is a licensed title, though, so it works a bit different.

H1Z1 had a strong start, but after not delivering the style of play that was promised (big surprise) and some epic bungling, numbers have started to fall off - but are still far and away higher than EQ2.

Haven't looked at Planet Side 2 recently, but last time I did, it was doing alright.

Even EQ was doing better than EQ2.

From the information I've seen, CN/DBG is not interested in developing (or maintaining) a proper MMORPG. I suspect any future offerings they manage to put out will be cross platform/moba games.

The parent company CN has a very shady reputation, and some of crap DBG has pulled since they took over has just reinforced that. Gamers are easily distracted by shinie new things, but they also have long memories and can hold grudges like no other. I think this is a lesson DBG will learn the hard way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bursck

Bursck New Member

Well, I was mainly wondering if they had all their resources committed to other games (as somewhat of an understanding as to the horrible content recently). Sounds like it a little bit, but the EQ2 problems run much deeper. Nah, I wouldn't rush out to buy anything new by them. My backlog of OC games is looking more and more appealing!

6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Smed was very vocal and excited about being able to produce consoles, first person shooters, and mobas after the sale to CN.

I see a lot of the postings require console experience, but I can't see DBG offering an mmorpg that supports both platforms like ESO does.

Sorry to say that at this point, DBG could design to coolest game ever, and I probably wouldn't buy it.

I don't appreciate the way they do business.

• Agree Agree x 4