1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Crafting is well and truely ****** in BoL

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Mermut, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The data analytics stuff has always baffled me. Gaming companies are sitting on an absolute treasure trove of information because they can literally observe how their customers are using their product. All they have to do is square some data analytics/data mining out with a working account cancellation survey and maybe a random customer satisfaction survey every couple of years and they would have a golden source of business intelligence.

But, well, the designers at that company are arrogant. Let's see what Jen does. Maybe, just maybe she's exactly what's needed. I hope so, but time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I seem to recall various people pointing this out in the original patch schedule announcement thread. So much for Kander's listening promise. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Nawtey

Nawtey Member

Kander listens about as well as Benito knows when to STFU.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  5. LuranEQ2

LuranEQ2 Member

It’ll never happen, because the we can’t undo it reasoning is suspect enough. It’ll be forever-forthcoming like class balance.

This is the lead in to snippier responses along the lines of “we told you we’re working on it already, now shut up.”

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Gninja Developer

We are working on a solution to the levels on the harvests folks. We do not want to add the text manually on each one because that just causes a lot more work each time we make new ones and we would very much like to be able to do more. :p

Something about this doesn't seem right. I don't know how the material itemization works, but still...

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

They're still doubling down on the nonsense reason they removed it in the first place. At least they're acknowledging the issue, hopefully they actually do something about it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Because somebody f ed up and deleted things they shouldn't had. I know you and I have had this conversation and you keep saying there would be back-ups. I simply don't believe it. Malice/stupidity.

I'll edit this to add - I have been dealing with this kind of thing my entire professional working career. I get paid a sweaty monkey sex ton of money to fix stupidity. There are several things that are always the same across those situations no matter what type of business it involves. Resort management, logistics, manufacturing, hospital administration, etc... I'm dealing with a situation right now where, simply because someone refused to admit that they threw away something they shouldn't have, it has cost the company literal millions upon millions of dollars in bad product/scrap steel. Where if they had admitted the mistake, taken accountability, and laid out the truth of the matter they woould have found out that there was another copy of the blueprint sitting in the desk drawer of the retired owner of the company.

Millions lost, 100+ people's jobs on the line, simply because of pride and the inability to admit a mistake.

Same **** happened with resource levels or they would have put them back in by now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

My guess? They wanted to fix the problem that I never saw any complaints about and this was the easiest 'fix'. They probably expected a bit of whining and thought it would go away. They were so very, very wrong. Now somebody has decided the problem they created is too big to ignore so they at least have to be seen to be doing something.

And the problem now is, as Zynt said, they've waited too long. Nobody is going to admit that they screwed up in the first place whether because of a mistake or lousy decision, and because of the time factor and depending on how they handle their backup policy they may no longer have backups old enough to retrieve the missing data. Even if they have I suspect they may lack the skill sets needed among remaining staff to effectively recover what they need.

So they're now making noises to try and pacify the crowd. I suspect some of them would really like to fix it, most of them probably don't give a flying fig. It's just crafting/harvesting after all. So whether anything does ever actually happen is anyone's guess at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

The thing is, it's 100% clear that NOTHING about the crafting recipes is automated. It's all copy/paste.
    Examples: Fish as fuel, stations and fuel not matching, recipes with the same material listed in different lines, etc
    Additionally, the descriptions on items are ONLY for people, not for programs/computer/coding, so there is nothing 'programatic' they could have been 'causing problems' with.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Hey, you know the house is on fire, right?

Shh, of course, we all do, but be quiet about it.

Ok, well, I only ask because someone broke the lock on the back door and some of the yard caught fire. You wouldn't know any...

Hey, **** you, pal. I didn't touch that door. Besides, no one uses the back yard anyways.

Quite a few people do, actually, and they noticed tha...

Look, it had to be done. Can't you see that the house is on fire? This isn't a blame thing.

That doesn't make any god ****ed sense and now a lot of people are very upset. So, if it was you, do you think you could maybe fix the lock? Grab a fire extinguisher? Something?

Tell you what, blow me and I might get it done before Christmas.

I'm not blowing you again, and which Christmas might that be?

Yeah, gotta go. Work to do. **** the people on fire in the back yard and if you bring this up again I'll shank you with the first pointy thing at hand. I'll get right on that one thing, though, promise. Good talk!

Sometimes I wish I could live in the world in my head.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  14. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

It's like 300 items:
    Harvestables (All)

Having seen the EQ2 VDL item file format, we're talking a couple hour's work tops here.

It's 4 lines of code on EQ2U. I can't imagine it's that much more complex in the EQ2 client.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. Feldon

• Like Like x 1
  16. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Tags is the sensible idea. Glad someone finally made it.

Now they just had to detmine what Tiers 90-92, 92-95, 95-100, 100-110 and 110-120 count as....

My suspicion on the previous code is every single item had a manual line in the .xml files that got removed, and someone refused to go back through (Instead of restoring a backup?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I never thought of it before but even if their backups are totally screwed I'm betting you could provide them with the missing data in a suitable format for uploading/updating. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Yep. Now if only they'd thought to implement that BEFORE dumping the existing data ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Feldon

I posted this on the official forums:

On EQ2U, if the item has the flag Harvestable, then this text is displayed:

This raw harvest looks as if it could be used for crafting level '.$itemlevel.'-'.($itemlevel + 9).' items.

If the itemlevel is exactly 90, to handle Chains of Eternity, then we display:

This raw harvest looks as if it could be used for crafting level '.$itemlevel.'-'.($itemlevel + 5).' items.

I believe EQ2 also does this programmatically rather than having specific descriptive text on these items because we've always had to generate our own text on EQ2U.

So it seems there are two systems now.

For the harvestables from EQ2's first 14 years, they have classification types of "tierXX_harvest". There are 290 such items:

But with Blood of Luclin, we seem to have switched to a new flag called "expXX_harvest". There are 46 such items:

This is very confusing. I will be adding a notice on EQ2U to display the appropriate expansion -- Chaos Descending or Blood of Luclin along with the existing harvesting text.

You might say it is janky to display an expansion title on a harvested item, but the choice to have two different tiers at the same itemlevel has forced this situation. We didn't do this for Withered Lands (90-92). We didn't do this for Chains of Eternity (90-95). We didn't do this for Altar of Malice (96-100). Either eliminate this change, increase the itemlevel of BoL harvests to 115, or add the expansion to the description.

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. Feldon

TL;DR:

Rather than use itemlevel to differentiate short tiers like 90-92 (Withered Lands), 90-95 (Chains of Eternity), Altar of Malice (96-100), and so forth, they've switched to a different classification with the expansion number on the item. Blood of Luclin items are flagged "exp16_harvest". This is totally new and conflicts with the old method which was tier1_harvest through tier14_harvest. They took a mess and made it messier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2