1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Ethereals - Benito II Electric Bugupyourbutt

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Dano84, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

This. I can't count how many times I'd die at a LARP event (Boffer weenie, V:TM, whatever), and end up playing as an NPC or something to help things along. Heck, I'd bring extra chars just in case a "critical" class was missing from an event or play session - especially for ShadowRun, 'cause our GM could be a bit of a dick if he and his girlfriend were on the ropes (again), rofl!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

To clarify, I'm not criticizing her for liking or even loving WoW. I'm commenting on what she says and does to manipulate people.

Maybe WoW Classic is her dream job, and maybe Exec Prod of the EQ franchise was her dream job before the WoW job became available.

The point I'm reflecting upon is that she said the same kinds of things to us eq franchise folks which ended up being little more than shady marketing and selling tactics.

Now again, my perception of this interview is surely colored by the associations I already hold for her, which is why I was curious about how others felt about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Literally nothing else in the gaming world can hold my attention for more than a day or two at most. Rarely even that long. EQ1(2) gives me something to focus my obsessive nature on that is not self destructive. Being bored, with those idle hands, having free time, and money to spend is a really bad combination for me. EQ has kept me out of more trouble, saved me more money, and most likely kept me from dying in a very stupid way more than anything else over the last 20 years. There's no way, regardless of its current state, that I will ever have something that has given me as much to ease my mind for such little financial investment.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

For me, it was simple: Am I having fun playing this game?

A: Mostly no (KA).

So, that was it. I play ESO occasionally, and I like it.

But, these days I'm back to reading a lot, working on pet projects, stuff like that.

5. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

I picked up EQ2 at end of BoL thinking I'd give RoS a try, and spent the minimum possible (Standard expac, Krono with plat).

Had reasonable fun for 2-3 months, which for £30 wasn't bad honestly. I'm pretty bored again now though.

I'll probably give AoC a go when it comes out, but I think I get more entertainment from a £15 purchase of Minecraft or £20 Overwatch than I do any MMOs now a day.

6. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I've put like 2000 hours into Overwatch, definitely way higher value than any MMO I've played recently. I've put a lot of time into Minecraft too but Minecraft is nice enough to not tell me how much time I've wasted on it.

7. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I found an excellent solution.

Play EQ2 9 hours a week (3x3) and the rest of my gaming hours, grind AA in EQ1. Grinding endless AA's in EQ1 is more fun than the entire RoS expansion in EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Honestly? Yeah. I got into programming because I wanted to make games, but I was going through college right around the HD era as game costs were starting to balloon as well as the team size required to make them, plus I didn't really like the idea of working on games I myself didn't enjoy, so working on a team that was smaller for a game that, even if it wasn't my favorite, I still kind of liked, was fun. I liked when I fixed a bug and someone on the forums would notice and say thanks. I liked writing clever patch notes for my changes. I also liked working with the people on the team, even if I don't like the direction they've steered the game (which for me really started around during the development of AoM when it was decided you'd be able to grandmaster every spell -- I started job hunting then).

My complaints about working on EQ2 are the same size working on any project that's reached a certain size:

1) It can be difficult to make changes and fully understand all of the areas it'll impact. For example, Slippery pointed out that CoV would often fail after fights that had adds on them. I dug into this and discovered that adds weren't being cleaned up properly on death and as such, still had hate on you. So I added a fix to clear hate tables on death... unfortunately, this broke body loot drops in PVP. Whoops. I also remember making a fix so that wards would scale properly in level-agnostic combat, but that fix ended up breaking some spells that referenced the file I'd changed in a way I didn't know about. I got more careful as time went on, but "more careful" sometimes meant "don't try because the jenga tower might fall."

This was compounded by the lack of QA resources, but tbh even with more QA they still need some direction as to what areas might be impacted when you make a change -- you can't expect them to re-test the whole game.

2) Bug fixes / "invisible" improvements being a hard sell, both for customers and higher ups. Even though it wasn't very ambitious on my part, I was quite happy fixing bugs in EQ2 or trying to smooth out other rough patches. As someone who played the game I knew there was a lot to do in those areas! Unfortunately when you have an expansion to sell every year or need to make your game updates look exciting, "fixed bugs" (remember how much **** there was for that one GU that was mostly bug fixes?) or "made thing work better" don't really look good even if players do quietly appreciate them. This isn't a problem unique to EQ2 but obviously with the game being so old it has accrued a lot of technical debt.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

That's exactly it for me too. I can grind AAs for hours. Of course now I'm maxed, and have been for awhile. I've even got max endurance regen as a Nec. What server so you play on? I just finished Artisan's Prize, maxed Baking, brewing, fishing, tailoring, and fletching to 350, and I'm currently working on jewelry making. That whole thing has kept me busy for over a year.

10. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

A whole lot of EQ2's complaints would be cleared up if the current Devs would speak as candidly about things as you just did. Communication is the number 1 priority in any and all relationships. It's easy to be mad about stupid **** when you have no idea why you're mad you just are.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Matik

Matik New Member

This is why I still play too, I was able to stop being self-destructive a while ago but I am still a healthier person if I have something to obsess over. I still like to play eq2, lock every 5 levels, and just do all the quests and make a sport out of seeing how overpowered I can get with all the AA available. I don't even mind camping the infamous rare drop quests because I can do things around the home, work out, online classes, etc while waiting for respawns. If eq2 shut down tomorrow I imagine I would go mess around in eq1 and not auto-grant AA and just explore and kill things and farm aa.

Tetris 99 is the only other game that does anything for me, long term.

12. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

It's a shame what's happened to communication from the team over the years -- one of the reasons I liked EQ2 over other games was how responsive the team was on the forums (at the time). During my interview process I even said that I was looking forward to participating in that if I was hired (and I was pretty active on the forums, even when I wasn't at work). Now a lot of the communication is toxic and offputting.

One challenge with communication that I got bitten by a few times is how people interpret your posts and the game of telephone that can occur with your words. I remember I made a post in one of the private subforums (Area 51 or Raid Council) about an idea that was phrased in such a way that it was clearly -- at least in my mind -- pie in the sky, would be cool but just me letting my imagination run wild and not a thing that's actually going to happen. Then a few days later someone who didn't have access to the subforum I posted it in PM'd Kander asking when the thing I said was going to happen. There were other examples of that too, but that was the most obvious one. I'm sure if someone made a post like my previous one in an official capacity there would be some people who appreciate it but a large number of people who would interpret it really poorly and then spread that negative sentiment.

Also, I want to reiterate that the problems I highlighted in my previous post aren't EQ2 specific -- it's a problem with any software development and arguably non-software development projects.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

After being misinterpreted several times in shorter posts, Caith said plainly to me that it was not worth his time to explain things in the detail necessary that would avoid misinterpretation when he could be working on game stuff. Well I guess yeah, that's a choice.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I noticed this weird thing some other companies do where they have a person who explains the things the other person is doing so the other person can keep doing the things that need explaining. I know, I didn't believe it myself decades ago when I first heard of such nonsense.

Barely related, I feel Sanya from DAoC along with many other community peeps over the years deserve a bit of acknowledgement from me here.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

The only other game I have played recently that I played consistently and for a long time,, and I haven't played it in a few years now, was Path of Exile. It's an ARPG and the game plays terribly, performance wise, on anything under top notch hardware. I also haven't upgraded to an SSD yet cause there's been no reason to but I will on the next PC I buy. They have a very active reddit forum, like 100s of thousands of people, and they have their PR person, Bex, and she answers concerns and addresses changes, etc.. But, even the owner/creator has a forum presence that is rather active. You're never going to make everybody happy with any change but I think lag is something we can all agree on as an issue.

16. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I played PoE for a while. I liked the skill tree but not really my thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I used to like PoE a lot but lately I struggle to get into it. I don't really care for how they've done leagues since 3.0

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Devil Devil x 1
  18. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

It's honestly not my type of game at all. I prefer a sandbox, open world, choose your own adventure, let me do what I want to do type of game. But it did manage to get a lot of hours of play out of me even if I haven't played for 2-3 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I would say these days I'm very much in a "I don't want a game that's a second job" mode. Really, I've been in this mode since AoM or thereabouts, so that's a big reason why (aside from the p2w and crappy design decisions) I really started to sour on eq2 during ToT.

One of the big reasons I like ESO is I can play it casually and on my own schedule. There's so much story content, and so many little ways to amuse myself that I can play it recreationally; just relax with it, dink around, and have fun.

I'm expecting AoC will offer me the same opportunities ESO does for casual play but with more sandbox to it and I really can't see myself ever returning to the eq2/wow themepark style games where grinding raids is the end of it all, each and every year.

I've just got other things in life I enjoy doing, and gaming is merely one of the menu items I might choose on any given night.

The very notion of scheduling my free time around 3 hour raids several times a week is the absolute last thing I want to do these days.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

What is your favorite class in ESO? I played it a while back and at the time I liked the Templar. I might give the game a try again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1