1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Sissies......

But seriously, a small niche? This game has massive following and they hit their funding goal in months.

Sure, it's not for everyone, but no game is for everyone.

For what it's worth, I like pvp because it's more challenging to fight another player than it is a mob script. That being said, the rule set eq2 had for its pvp servers got tiresome because there was just no way to take a break from it.

Hopeful AoC's design will solve that problem, especially since I'm excited to play with the other innovations they're rolling out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Now, see, this is exactly what I don't get. Whenever I ask people to explain the attraction of PvP that is exactly the answer that comes back. Fair enough. Except that, whenever I observe their behaviour or follow their postings on the forums they seem to be spending their time desperately trying to find ways to stack the odds in their favour and REDUCE said challenge! And whining to hell and back whenever some ploy they've come up with to do that gets nerfed!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LuranEQ2

LuranEQ2 Member

PvP Players: “You just got to accept it’s going to happen”

PvE Players: “I do. That’s why I’m not playing it.”

PvP Players: “But if you’re not there for me to kill what am I going to do?”

Repeat on a loop times infinity. This is what every PvEvPvP argument dissolves into. It’s entertainment, you don’t get to set someone else’s terms of enjoyment just to suit your own.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

In eq2 I like battle grounds during DoV. People who wanted to do it went there for a couple of items that would help in PvE.

However, what I saw of open world PVP was just griefing and mechanic exploitation to get ahead.
    Throw away accounts to lie dead to watch for contested to lock it down, spawn point camping, forum lobbying to get advantages, general griefing, etc. To add to the mess, EQ2 devs bad class balance shined through to make the experience extra special.

I must admit my experience with other MMO pvp is limited to EQ2, I generally did games with PvP such as Unreal Tournament and its friends.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Isn't your statement also true for pve?

I suppose that to appreciate what AoC is trying to do, one also has to appreciate what makes pvp enjoyable - matching wits and skills against another player, or players in the case of caravans, guild wars, and castle sieges.

The trick is to dial the incentives in so that the game remains fun, and that also means punishing behavior that reduces enjoyment for others, such as griefng and pk harvesting. This is something eq2 never bothered to address, and that includes that garbage they put out recently.

Can AoC organize the right incentive structures to pull it off? We'll see.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  6. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Perhaps. But in pve most of us aren't going around justifying our playstyle by declaring that we're looking for the very thing that we then spend our playtime trying to minimize!

7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Perhaps? How much money are raiders spending in the shop?

Different strokes for different folks. On a pvp server, if one chooses to pvp, they're going to run into better players, they're going to run into better geared players, they're going to run into classes that have a tactical advantage against their class - they're going be killed by other players.

The good news is, they're not real life deaths, so there is no reason to get butt-hurt about it.

I expect that when playing AoC, if someone is dumb enough to incur corruption penalties for griefing me, well, I'll just click the revive button, and go back about my business.

Or maybe get revenge. Choices about what feel like doing and all that jazz.

8. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Raiders = money > brains these days. Please don't judge the rest of the playerbase by their standards. It's bad enough that the dev team can't see past them. And it's just one of the reasons that some of us don't raid :)

I'm 100% pve and will freely admit that 90% of the time I am NOT looking for a challenge. Life is a challenge. When I log into a game I'm looking for fun and relaxation for a couple of hours escape. I mostly detest combat as I find it tedious and boring. If I can one shot something to get it out of the way so I can progress onto the stuff I enjoy, so much the better. I'm well aware that many people would find THAT boring, but isn't it supposed to be about choices? On the odd occasion I get the urge for a challenge I'll go out and try soloing some heroics. That choice is always available to me.

The point being that in most pvp setups I've seen that choice isn't really available. You can flag non-pvp but that doesn't usually stop some griefer from ganking you anyway if they don't care about any negative consequences attached. And for many of these overgrown kiddies that's what it's really about. Getting their jollies by proving their 'superiority' over other players and ruining their day. And sadly it only takes a small number of those idiots running around to ruin everybody's day. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yep, don't judge an entire play style by a few. 99.9% of us are just having a good time fighting each other and appreciating the extra layer of danger and risk layered on top of pvp content.

But to listen some of the pve crowd, one might come to the impression the pvp servers nothing but a collection of sociopathic aholes who do nothing but spend their entire night griefing noobs and harvesters.

I happen to believe AoC's system has real promise. The threat of being de-buffed and dropping coveted gear when killed while corrupted should work fairly well, and like I said, if someone is dumb enough become corrupted, they deserve everything that's commin' to 'em.

I hope it works becausr >I< don't want to be in pvp mode 100% if the time (ala eq2 pvp). I may want to go hours doing pve stuff, harvesting, whatever.

10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I enjoy PvP when I'm in the mood for it. I'm getting old and I'm broken so my ability to be competitive is waning about as much as my patience for getting slaughtered. I like some of the stuff proposed for the game, but not being able to turn off PvP kills it for me. Tekka won't even consider it. I do predict a carebear server or two down the road, though. I don't see the corruption system stopping people who are in the mood to chase the lulz. Whales are more valuable than the l33t from a coin purse perspective. We'll see.

11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

No p2w for AoC. Hell, they're not even allowing mods or API's.

I guess I just view the odd grief differently. I just don't see it happening enough to be a big deal.

As long ad I can choose when I want to be in pvp mode and when I don't, I'm fine with that.

In terms of cosmetic whales, maybe that drives some future decisions. I don't see a separate rule-set server, though. The entire game has been designed around synergies between pvp and pve.

Iow, break one half of it off, and the entire game just doesn't work. While it's theoretically possible to focus only on one play style, the game relies on both to keep re-making itself

12. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Problem is with most pvp setups you don't need a whole community to be like that. All it takes is one serial griefer singleing out and ganking non-combatants for lols.

As Luran said, if PVP exists it's going to happen. And as I don't want to spend all my gaming time looking over my shoulder a game would have to guarantee that my 'not interested' flagging choice could not be overridden by some attention seeking jerk before I would even consider logging into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

My husband is looking into this one. The building intrigues me. We've been playing Subsistence a bit lately (survival and building). It's a bit too much survival, not enough building for me. But the building in Valheim looks pretty elaborate.

15. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Nice.

Grrr.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  16. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I have been enjoying Valheim both solo and with friends. It is buggy especially around multiplayer but it is not as harsh as some I have played on the survival side. You don't have to eat if you don't want to however your HP stat will be lower if you don't. The progression model used is interesting as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

18. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Started with it last night. I like it. Not as harsh as ARK but it doesn't hand things to you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I watched this yesterday and since I have nothing to do but raid in EQ2 and level my wizard in EQ1 by being afk 90% of the time and they are opening up brand new servers soonish I think ill give it a shot again. I played it 10 years ago and was kinda fun and what do I have to lose.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
  20. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member