1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I was messing around with WoW's new leveling experience on PTR and it's so much better. It actually kind of reminds me of how EQ2 was at launch, it has a very "tutorial island" feeling which I like a lot. I'm definitely going to give WoW another shot when it hits live.

I find it kind of ironic how EQ2 tried so hard to copy WoW with zones like Darklight Wood and Frostfang Sea, and now WoW is moving closer to what EQ2 left behind.

2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Latest AoC dev stream.

• Sneak peak at the hybrid combat system - Skill trees can be used by players to customize and optimize around the combat mechanics they prefer (tab, action, or both).

• Sneak peak at an initial castle siege - When a guild wants to claim an unclaimed castle, the castle is initially owned by mobs. Players will have to raid it, do stuff inside, and kill the raid boss who owns it. Of course, a big feature is that it's a siege, so the fights are going to have to include siege weapons, breaking down walls and doors, and storming the castle!

• Some more art to show off.

• Note: the UI shown in the videos is a ph. It's my understanding that the final UI won't be built until the polishing phase when all the various systems and mechanics are dialed in. However, the intent is to make it super customizable and feature-rich as mods are not going to be permitted (pvp plus mods = bad idea; see for example, ESO).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

The first few minutes of these kinds of things are always hard for me to get through. "Tee-hee, look at us silly billies! Everything is great, everyone is happy, giggles, we're just like yo... NOW FOR THE SALES PITCH."

It does seem to be coming along well, better than some of the games I've been following. I'm still not sold, but I am interested.

4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, I categorize myself as extremely interested. I'm never sold or not sold on a game until I actually experience it for myself.

5. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I started playing SWTOR again for a bit. I have a new computer since I played last and it's been a while. I haven't even sorted out my UI yet, but fun. weee

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

AoC Sept. LS.

A short one pre-viewing mounts.

• Aquatic mounts, including aquatic group mounts.
    • All mounts can swim (don't disappear when a player jumps in the water), but the aquatic ones haul ass.
    • Mounts will have bonuses and enhancements. No p2w, mounts have to be earned in-game. Cosmetics for mounts can be purchased.
    • Animal husbandry system: players can breed mounts to produce specific traits/bonuses/cosmetics.

Edit:
    Here is a link for the longer video for anyone interested. It's the traditional format - Shows off some new art, talks about other systems, Q&A, etc.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

So I thought I'd check in with some games I have been playing in the past few months.

Wildermyth - a turn based RPG with a nice artistic touch. Stories play out in cartoon panel style. I think this is still in a pre-launch phase but I played for about 20 hours and enjoyed it. Only a few core classes to pick from but definitely a good tactical feel to combat. Some neat ideas too, for example your character can age and become a parent, and that child can join your party once they are old enough.

Wasteland 3: I really enjoyed Wasteland 2: Director's Cut and played through it about three times. Wasteland 3 isn't grabbing me to the same degree. I wonder if they'll do a re-cut like they did with Wasteland 2 (the Director's Cut was much better than the initial release). I'll probably wait and see if they do that.

Baldur's Gate 3: I'm a fan of Larian Studios but so far BG3 doesn't feel like a D&D5e game. Really it should be called Baldur's Gate: Original Sin since so much of the gameplay uses the D:OS engine and ruleset. Granted it's in early access, and there is a lot of chatter that the final release will really pare down the D:OS gameplay elements in favor of more traditional 5e ruleset, but I can only go based off of what I see. And I also get that certain adjustments need to be made to adapt the ruleset from tabletop to CRPG. There's only a handful of classes, backgrounds, & races available right now so hopefully they'll build in more. If you read forum discussions about this game, there's a lot of complaining that it's not in the traditional isometric camera style but that part I'm fine with. But as far as gameplay goes I've been enjoying it. A particular shoutout to the voice acting.

8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

9. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Ashes of Creation is completely anti-mod, anti-parsing, and anti-API. I'm sure it will be fun but it's not my type of game just for this reason alone.

10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Eh. I figured that's what they'd say.

ESO has an api. Dunno if you have the ability to fetch the kind of data you want:

Support | The Elder Scrolls Online.

11. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

A few games I've tried or been playing:

Raft - love this game! I play it on peaceful mode because I can't stand the shark attack every 5 minutes. You still have to eat and drink to survive, plus navigate to coordinates to advance the story. Enough challenge without the shark IMO. You can build your raft and improve it and even make it fancy with ziplines and such. Lots of exploring, harvesting, crafting and building. However, after many hours of enjoyment I've finished the current story (they are still adding new chapters - for free I might add). I've paused playing until they add the next chapter. You can build like crazy, but there aren't many decorations to really "flesh out" your build.

Desert Skies - poor Raft knockoff in the desert on a floating platform. It's clunky and very unpolished. I returned it on Steam.

Gordian Quest - I probably play this the most right now. It's a turn based RPG/deckbuilder hybrid. It's so hard to explain but there is a lot to it and if you enjoy deck builders it's a great game.

Star Realms - I've been playing this for years now - solid deckbuilder with online opponents. I play it at least once a week if not more.

No Man's Sky - I want to like this game but I still only play it occasionally. The controls are very console oriented and therefore frustrating on the PC. Plus the drones, toxicity, and life support make the game feel more like a chore. I want to get far enough though to really get into the base building. It looks pretty elaborate. I'm just not far enough along because the controls piss me off. It's survival/crafting/building.

Astroneer - my husband loves this game. I keep trying to like it but it's another one that I get annoyed with and log. Also I don't get the "point" of the game. This is more like minecraft, but without the "building". You do build a base, but it's only external things you plop down next to each other for function. It's not an internal structure you can customize/decorate. I think that's where is loses me.

LOTRO - yep I'm still playing it. MMORPG, lively community, most features you would be used to from EQ2 but IMO more interesting gameplay. House decorating is much more limited than EQ2 though - hooks limit item placement within a range. Skirmishes are a great way to jump in, accomplish something either solo or with friends, then jump out. Short and sweet. Crafting is pretty involved. There's harvesting, questing and raiding (although I've never been on a raid). They also have seasonal events for all major holidays plus some "Middle Earth" holidays. They do a great job with the seasonal events.

Bard's Tale IV: Directors Cut - turn based RPG - just didn't find it fun. Seemed like something I would enjoy but I didn't and returned the game on Steam.

Planet Zoo - I couldn't tell you if this is fun because I hated the controls so much I returned it almost immediately.

As I said in another thread I still miss Landmark and I keep hoping someone else will put out a game like that eventually. I want the harvesting, crafting, building in an open-world MMO setting without the survival mechanics. Or another way to put it is Minecraft with much better graphics and much better options for decorating your build in an MMO environment rather than a private server.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Dec AoC live stream.

• Just off alpha pre-test.
    • They rebuilt the entire node system to make it more efficient and interesting.
    • Skip to about 21:00 for a raid fight. Gotta say, the models and animations on these two raid mobs are FREAKIN' AWESOME. (Actually, the same can be said for pretty much all the mobs).
    • Bunch of deco stuff at the end. Jeff Bard tips his hat to Domino, saying their crafting and deco game was heavily inspired by eq2.
    • Alpha one scheduled for April.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Still mandatory pvp?

14. MollyKerr

MollyKerr New Member

I play Black Desert, sometimes it's very cool to kill time by killing thousands of mobs with beautiful graphics. The truth is playing on a constant basis is boring. But you can kill a couple of hours a week. x) !

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Ok, so, the thing is.....

If you are a player that is dead-set against playing in an environment where open world pvp exists, then AoC is not for you.

If you are ok with playing in an environment where pvp exists, but gives you the opportunity to avoid it, then AoC should be able to work for you just fine

The confusion people seem to be wrestling with is the entirely different system AoC is implementing for pvp flagging - how it works.

Rather than simply dropping in an on-off switch (which can can be easily exploited or be frustratingly tedious depending on the rule set), AoC is leaning heavily on incentives to encourage or discourage pvp fighting, depending on what the player wants to do.

Killing a player flagged as a non-combatant will result in punishing penalties. On the other hand, engaging in pvp battles also provide greater experience rewards and lower death penalties, etc.

For example, suppose Fuli is out picking flowers and along comes Mermut. Now, Mermut would like nothing more than serve the greater good by punching Fuli in the face until the world is rid of his sorry butt.

The problem is, Fuli is flagged as a non-combatant, so if Mermut kills him, she's going to incur "corruption" (name plate becomes red) which: (1) debuffs her stats and abilities, (2) opens her to dropping her gear if killed by another player, and (3) puts on the map for bounty hunters.

There no decay on corruption. The only way to remove it is to be killed by another player or work it off by grindy repeatable quests which force the corrupted players out into the world.

So, Mermut will have to decide just badly she wants Fuli dead. The temptation will be great, but so will the cost.

Personally, I don't see the value in attacking players flagged as non-combatants. There's little to be gained and much to lose.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  16. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

No, but then you're not a juvenile griefer. If that happened to me when I was out minding my own business it would ruin my day sufficiently to make me log off. And if it happened again I'd be very unlikely to ever log back on. So unless a game offers me complete immunity on a permanent basis I simply won't bother playing it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Welp, only way to know for sure if this game can pull off all the stuff they want to do is to play it and see how it goes.

I plan rolling a juicy pk tank and leaving my green name plate on, so I'll let you guys know how flagging goes, as well as all the other stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Sounds like you could just have a friend kill you in a controlled environment to remove the flag.

This was helpful, it's not a game for me. I only want a game where I can truly avoid PvP 100% of the time. I don't want any chance of getting pk'd.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

It's just so absurd. They're chasing the most fickle group of players on planet Earth who will never be satisfied no matter how perfect the mechanics are. And they're usually the most viscous vicious, hate-filled players on your forums.

AoC: "We're making an open world classic MMO"
    Me: "Does it have PvP?"
    AoC: "It has conditional Pv..."
    Me: You're making a PvP game and PvP is going to force all kinds of unpleasant changes in your PvE and if you're serving the PvP customers well, you're going to be spending 50% of your time dealing with all the places where your well-intentioned PvE content throws off PvP balance. You're making a PvP game.

Sure you can setup an open Zoo with no cages. You can put elephants, zebras, tapir, antelopes, giraffes. But you add one leopard or tiger and now you gotta put everyone in cages and it's 10 times more work.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
  20. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Viscous players? Well PvP crowd tends to be a bit slimy...

• Funny Funny x 3