1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I literally have more fun with an MMO that was raised from the dead two months ago than I was having with EQ2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

MMOs are so 2004. I'm playing Minecraft.

In 10 years time, I may move onto a game such as Destiny or Fortnite I think

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It does seem ridiculous, but I spend most of my time playing old games these days. I spent more hours over a few weeks playing Baldur's Gate a couple of months ago than I probably did playing EQ2 the last year before I uninstalled it. I've been more invested in playing CoH on the Homecoming servers than I probably have with any other MMO in the last couple of years. I'm not going to pretend to know all of the reasons why, just that I've been having more fun. If EQ2 were still fun I'd likely be making time for it as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I've got a friend from EQ2 poking tentatively at CoH with me. I think the hook is going to be base building, which has actually been improved a significant amount, as well as at least a few thousand items added, including tintables!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

AoC Dev Stream.

Talking about engineering.

6. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

- I'm super excited. These guys did a great job with Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2. I just hope that WotC gives them adequate creative freedom.

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here. After WoW's Battle for Azeroth fiasco and the dumpster fire that Blizzard has been letting rage over the past year+, my wife and I ended up walking away from that game, as well. I was ready to give up on MMORPGs, but she got me to give FFXIV a try and, while I'm not a big fan of the anime art style, the game's a lot of fun and I love the crafting/gathering system. It starts out slow and there's a ridiculous amount to learn, but I think it does a nice job of combining all the things that I liked about both WoW and EQ while adding in a lot of its own unique charm. I'll add a Recruit a Friend code down below if anyone's interested in trying it out.

35MENFFC

7. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I have a TARDIS parked in my base's entry room. It's like that.

8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'd like to imagine what I'd do if I won that kind of money at 16, but I realize it wouldn't matter. My parents would have spent it all talking care of four kids. I probably would have gotten a used car and some of my college paid for.

10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

That used to happen so often in Hollywood with child stars. They had to pass laws to protect kids from their parents.

• Shocked Shocked x 1
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

12. Feldon

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Watching the world first race in wow that is happening now, despite them only having 12 new bosses looks so much more fun than killing the same 4 or 5 bosses over and over and over just for some resolve that wont increase our output as a raid force what so ever. Plus each guild decide how much and when they want to play the content.

I am jealous that I returned and now have obligations with 23 other people and cant just quit again.

Raid content should be quality > quantity. And not time gated by some random stat but player skill.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Also easy to have a lot of raid bosses when most of them only have one phase/don't really change up their mechanics throughout the fight. :p Not to mention Blizzard will literally hotfix bosses during progression races, ie: you don't have to wait for the weekly patch if something's horribly broken because they generally have the ability to fix it live.

There are cool ideas in some of the EQ2 bosses but I side eye anyone who thinks they're more difficult or better designed than WoW or FFXIV.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I mean the EQ2 engine can't cope with 10 swirly stones around the stonegrabber colossus without creating 2-3 second delays for everyone so they already had to change one of the only T1 fights with an actual mechanic so the stones doesn't move.

Imagine if a fight had scripts like just one of the wow raid bosses on mythic, you wouldnt be able to do anything

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

When I played FFXIV I did the giant Syrcus Tower, World of Darkness and Good King Moogle Mog raids, as well as the daily experts (outside of the story progression dungeons and Hildibrand quests).

While I had a lot of fun, I also found I had to pay attention a LOT, no slacking and many of them were challenging to the point of 'OMG can I even do this'.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I had to quit raiding in WoW a few expansions ago. Even with an addon called GTFO I kept dying to ground effects from the boss. I was always right in the middle of the effect so it went off as I was on the edge of it. Our guild had fallen in numbers so that we could only do 10 man raids at the time and the loss of 1 dps hurt. Yes, they kept battle rezzing me, but it was EVERY time. I spent more time dead than alive. I ended up quiting over it. (Money situation got tighter a few months later anyways)

18. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

So, you transmogrified into an OG EQ Ranger?

19. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Yes, but I wasn't the designated virgin sacrifice (on purpose). Just, to me, WoW was more of a twitch game than I could handle. And I liked raiding but couldn't feel like I was a help to the guild. And I wasn't going to be carried without at least feeling I was of some use to them. In 5 man groups, I was fine. Raiding... I was dead weight. And we didn't need to really do 5 man groups.

20. Feldon

You're giving me flashbacks of Shadow Odyssey raiding.

Feldon has piss vision! 5...4...(stuck on terrain, banging on the Space bar to try to get over a lip)...3...2...(blown away from the cure gate by an AoE)...1... BOOM

Nothing says "**** you" to a raid force like sharp angles, things sticking up, and Mario Bros like jump challenges with the troglodyte-like movement controls provided by EQ2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1