1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Potential security issue with data feed

Discussion in 'Census: EverQuest II' started by Lantis, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Lantis

Lantis Guest

Heya,

A lot of guilds put private info such as the address and password to their Ventrilo server (my old guild does for one), as they don't expect anyone but their members to be able to read that MOTD.  These new data feeds will change that, making it available to anyone through a simple query.  I'm not sure it's a good idea to expose the guildmotd without any form of authentication on the client's part.

2. Dethdlr

Dethdlr Guest

How about adding a checkbox to share with EQ2Players on the window where you edit the giuld motd that is clickable by those who have the ability to edit it?  Have it on by default.  Then just don't export that field if it's checked.  Similar to the checkbox on the character window for character data.  Would solve the issue while still allowing sharing of the motd for those who wish to do so.

3. DanKinney

DanKinney Guest

Good point.

The system does have a filtering system that can be used to make this private.

-dan