1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Activision-Blizzard Suspend Sales In Russia

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Mar 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Activision-Blizzard joins Microsoft and others in suspending sales within Russia.

What will Ji Ham do? My guess is nothing. And actually, noticing that I've not seen a single thread surface on the OF regarding how DBG might respond Russia's invasion of Ukraine, It's a safe bet to assume they're actively deleting those posts.

Activision Blizzard and Epic Games halt sales of games in Russia

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  2. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

They are. I saw one demanding russian accounts be banned and it didn't last long. Which I don't actually disagree with since banning the accounts of innocent people just because they happen to be russian is rather racist and highly unlikely to influence the political situation one bit.

3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, there is a difference between banning people and suspending sales.

In terms of the gaming crowd, I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, Russia and other autocratic dictatorships have been enriching themselves on Western markets and investments, and giving their citizens some of the benefits of capitalism even as they work undermine democracies at every turn. The Russian people will have to decide if they want to regress toward a Soviet-era quality of life or if they want something different. The world cannot solve the Putin problem for them. Perhaps they will choose something better for all. That will be up to them

On the other hand, the gaming community is an international one, and since virtually all information other than government sponsored television is not just being banned, but criminalized, the gaming environment might be a good way for everyone to share information and support each other.

In Ji Ham's case however, I'm 100% confident that he cares not wit about any moral principles relating to all this. He's simply looking at the money he'd be leaving on the table.

Would it really be so difficult to issue a statement that says "We're keeping sales open, and here's why....."

Nope. The company just doesn't care and can't be bothered.

Edit:
    Point of clarification: ALL autocratic, dictatorial governments are threatened by democracy. Ukraine was no threat to Russia. Putin and his governent were threatened by an emerging, ethnic Russian democracy on his western border.

China also has expansionist goals, not just for Tawain, but all along the China Sea corridor.

That's the problem (imo), and that's why the West may have to stop enriching these countries. Their people will have to decide what they want. If they can somehow fashion an autocratic system of government that doesn't express aggression toward the West, and their happy with that, so be it. But I'm not holding my breath.

4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

So I'm curious.

When will the world sanction and embargo the US for our constant invasions, bombings, coups, assassinations, disinformation and funding of genocide?

Also, if we're really banning everything from Russian vodka to White Russians to Russian dog breeds from competition to Tchaikovsky, can I have some Freedom Dressing to go with my Freedom Fries?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Has the subject of your curiosity never been an option avilable to the world?

6. Feldon

The US maintains 750 military bases in 80 countries and spends over half our annual budget while depriving Americans of sick leave, maternity leave, any kind of basic health care, and basic human rights to make SURE that's not an option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

All true, but isn't economic sanctions and isolation preferable to military intervention?

Now, for some perspective, I come from Polish Jews who fled Europe during WWII. I'm 100% confident Putin's plans don't end with Ukraine.

My point is that the Putin problem ultimately belongs to the Russian people, and that he shouldn't be enabled to finance his aggression against others and enrich his country with western markets and investment.

Ultimately, the Russian people will have to decide what they want.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  8. Feldon

I guess we'll see if it works. To be clear, I want Russia out of Ukraine.

I just know our history of using sanctions against Cuba and Venezuela has been disastrous for the people yet not dissuaded the people in charge at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

That may be
    From the West's perspective, severely hamstringing the Russian government's ability to modernize its military and finance war is a rational strategic move.

I feel terribly for the Russian people, whom I tend to like in general. But in the end, their government is their responsibility, and they will have to decide what they want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

A fine ideal. How would you suggest they go about that while living under an oppresive regime that doesn't actually offer them choices? Or are you seriously trying to incite riot and revolution?

11. Feldon

We're almost to that point here. The bottom 40% is barely scraping by, no health coverage, rents and gas prices skyrocketing, homeless encampments in every city, food shortages, and our government does nothing about it regardless of what color flag they fly except hiding the problems from the affluent by conducting homeless sweeps.

The only thing that made FDR do anything was literal riots and nationwide strikes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Sounds like a good way to get seriously hurt or disappeared.

13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I have a lot of fine ideals. In an ideal world, democracy, where ultimate power and accountability rest with the governed and not the government, would be everywhere. When corruprion remains in a democracy, it's because the governed allow it. We might disagree with each other about policy, but at the end of the day, it's up to us.

Under an autocratic government, the governed have neither the power nor the right to change policy or government behavior.

One of the ideals I'm steadfastly for is not having 6 year old litlle girls die from dehydration amongst the rubble of her former home, and next to her dead mother, because the Russian army destroyed the water and sanitation supply of her city.

If you're demanding I choose to enable a better quality of life for the Russain people over the Ukranian civilans currently being targeted by the Russian government, the answer is "not a chance."

Whether it's the US or any other western government, or whether it's an autocratic, fascist, dictatorship with imperialistic goals, it is ALWAYS ths responsibilitg of the governed to hold their government to account. As I said, the Russian people will have to make a choice. I am not in favor of allowing Russia to enrich itself with western markets, investment, and quality of life even as its government violently assaults the West.

And while I'm sad for the Russian people, I have no regrets about my views.

Ukraine says child died alone from dehydration in besieged Mariupol

14. Zorvan

Zorvan Member

Serious question. Why was it a good plan when we did it against the British government, but it's not a good plan for anyone else? If Russians want Putin's regime gone, then maybe it's time they threw some vodka in a harbor and got to it. His army can't even handle a tiny country throwing armed farmers at them.

15. flexington313

flexington313 New Member

the day they cease sales to russian players is the day i quit. I entirely disagree with that action. capitalist swine have zero room to feign concern for the oppression and death of innocents, nor are the citizens of any particular country responsible for their masters' wars.

these are videogame makers, not activists. they are here to deliver an entertainment product, and refusing to do so because of one's country or political affiliations is an immature and hypocritical display of moral grandstanding. for-profit companies have no place trying to influence politics. what of the other thousand countries at war currently? should companies in other countries stop selling their products there too? why not just cancel the entire idea of a global economy lol

I happen to agree with russia's invasion, but my opinion about this matter would be the same if i didn't. i'm not advocating ukrainians be banned from everquest either, or chinese people for china's several ongoing genocides. or american people for america's ongoing enslavement of the neurodivergent.

hypocrites. hypocrites, hypocrites, hypocrites. all of our countries do awful things constantly, and we all sit complacent. but because your state propaganda has told you so, magically this war is different and we need to return to 1950's red scare era levels of discrimination. utterly sickening. I don't even think this topic belongs on an eq2 forum. keep your hatred out of norrath, go cry on twitter or something. art is not just for you, and nobody you don't like.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Feldon

Whelp this seems a good place to close this. I think points could be made about the absurdity of treating THIS conflict differently than any other conflicts perpetrated by the US and other imperialist countries. Europe and the United States have inflicted inexcusable suffering around the world and we are truly showing our hypocrisy in this particular situation. And the anti-Russian propaganda is closely mirroring the anti-French sentiment leading up to the Iraq war. I do think these points could be made with a little less venom if your goal is changing people's minds. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.