1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

NantWorks Makes Strategic Investment in Daybreak Game Company; Mobile Versions of H1Z1 & EverQuest

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Billionaire doctor Patrick Soon-Shiong who owns the Los Angeles Times has made a huge investment in Daybreak Games, joined the Daybreak board, taken over complete control of H1Z1 Battle Royale and its eSports league, and formed a new LLC to manage the continued publication of H1Z1 and EverQuest, including the development of Mobile versions of both games.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

So who did he buy the company from? Obviously someone somewhere was the owner to be able to sell it or control at least. Hmmm?

3. Feldon

TL;DR: Daybreak Games has been rescued at the last minute by a billionaire investor. His Wikipedia page is fascinating. Escaped from war, came from nothing, became a gifted transplant surgeon, formed a biotechnology firm and has made a lot of smart bets in the right places and the right profile to establish a lucrative corner on the healthcare industry.

He didn't buy it. He's started a new LLC that he'll support financially. Where Daybreak ends and this LLC begins is fuzzy at best. The press release mentions H1Z1 and EverQuest in a nonspecific way. Does this mean EQ, EQ2, and EQ3 are all under this new company? I think it was left as vague as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Feldon

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Feldon

6. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Anybody want to take bets?
    Will the players be told, literally, nothing.. as is total silence...
    or
    Will there be lots of words thrown at the players that give absolutely no useful or concrete information?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Both! Lots of nothing will be shoved at us, but no real details. Just more propaganda hype, as normal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

I’m entirely too drunk to make sense of this today but I’m already ordering extra popcorn.

I suspect it’s going to be fascinating.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

The way I read it is that NantWorks - a holding company, not a game company, backed by a billionaire investor (sound familiar?) - has invested in DBG, which includes a seat on their board of directors, as well as controlling interest in the mobile development of titles that may include H1Z1 ad EverQuest, as well as the esport H1Z1 league.

Nothing about that reads that the investment does, or will, include existing MMO titles.

Given how things have gone up to now, those will continue to languish. The app games will fail due to (still) lack of experience. This might take a few years, but I'd say it's a fair estimate.

Unless they use that investment to start fresh with a new, experienced dev team.

At this point, I think it's moot, and just a delay to the inevitable. DBG has done way too much damage to themselves as a company to stage an 11th hour comeback. Their reputation is one of the worst in the industry, and that's quite an accomplishment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm looking forward to the smack down that the people who actually try to talk about it will receive no matter what the company word salads at us. It's been weeks since I've been given a forum vacation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Feldon

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

Anyone wanna bet that post disappears by...oh.... tomorrow night?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Lucus

Lucus New Member

like all companies with official forums anything they don't like gets locked and anything they really don't like gets disappeared, even steam forums does this.

if it does it'll do so as effectively as the evidence that DBG is owned by the russians, which is to say it'll still be out there on the web for people to see.

15. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Mobile versions..... I see they are digging deeper into the p2w segment of gamers. Not so much complains about paying for time on the mobile game market... it is quite the norm. Will they take the same route as Dungeon Keeper?

Edit: Tinfoil hat on. Is this just a transfer/sale of the Everquest and H1Z1 titles "ownership" to a new company, last stage of the gutting of DBG?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Someone should ask if they are actually getting investment from NantWorks, or if 2 years down the line we are going to be told it's actually some independent investor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Ooh, glad I thought to look at the "Talk" pages for the dude behind this outfit. Turns out he has a bit of a track record for overpromising and underdelivering (to investors).

Not getting a positive vibe from this. At all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

My gut tells me this investor is simply buying his way into the mobile f2p market. The esports league is mererly a saavy way to hype the products and collect bucket loads of microtransaction revenue.

Will just have to see how it plays out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

EverQuest 2 Mobile: Put that hour long commute to use and start shouting for groups. You might get one by the time you get home.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1