1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Daybreak games shut down in 2 months?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Sweatypie, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

Daybreak said...
    Unfortunately, we are no longer in a position to fulfill its greatness and the current population of the game makes it untenable to maintain.

I do have to say while it is disappointing to see any title sunset (even one that I am not playing) - I do find this statement refreshing in that it is honest - - - and I think that is rare for Corporate America. Although it is masked in mgmt-speak, Daybreak here didn't hide behind the "it's not fun" masked / veiled comment.

They told it like it is - - there are too few players playing / paying to make a profit...

I am sure that some Just Survive users could write volumes on why the "p[l]ayerbase" is what it is and isn't what it isn't - - that is beside my point. I just found it pleasantly surprising that Daybreak chose to explain it this way - to the point, bluntly, and honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I would be interested in a EQ3, but I have NO faith in DBG at this time. They would have to work a long time to for me to start to believe their promises ONLY by keeping any promises they make... as well as making a fun game!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I don't have faith in DBG at all because I don't have faith in the bean counters pulling their strings. I don't care if they're Russian or not. I don't think they have the best interest of the product and the customer in mind so I have no desire to give them any money for anything. I can be very forgiving in supporting those that entertain me, but not if I feel like getting ripped off is imminent.

Though I almost hate to say it, Pantheon really does seem like the closest thing to a Norrath replacement we're likely to see anytime soon. I'm not sure I wan to give them money any time soon, either.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I tend to think probabilistically when making decisions, so pretty much zero chance I will trust DBG, no matter what the hype is.

Data ftw.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

SOE took a healthy distrust of their company from just a small group of their EQ/EQ2 customers and expanded it to everyone who ever played SWG, and then everyone who preordered or bought early access into EQN/L. Reaching millions of customers and giving them a strong impression of your company and its products is something we should recognize. That takes talent!

Companies like Apple, Disney, Nest, etc. have a high Net Promoter Score. It means that their customers tend to recommend the product to others.

SOE joins the ranks of companies with a Net Detractor Score. It's a measure of former customers who not only won't buy their products, but actively discourage others from doing so.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I also feel this way about Sony too, from their days of owning EQ. Sony may not be to blame, but as Truman said "The buck stops here"

7. Feldon

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Feldon

Holy crap. Retweeted this with my comment "When you find Jace Hall, Daybreak Games, and H1Z1 in the center of a controversy, you can bank on unintended comedy, strange twists and unfulfilled expectations. Pro players are flying home unpaid due to incorrect visas, fake viewer numbers, and chaos."

• Like Like x 5
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  10. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Feldon

[​IMG]
    And that's from February. I doubt numbers have improved.

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I'd be willing to bet the numbers for EQ2 (at least) are lower.

Regardless, it doesn't bode well for things to come, considering some of the information that article contained.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

h1z1.jpg

That's how it looks like now...

Also, if you check the new H1Z1 forums for pc, there a thread called "Lack of communication from the PC side of H1Z1"... does that sound familiar to us I wonder.... The thread have been "cleaned" many times by mods... go figure.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  15. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I haven't done any detailed digging, but over the last couple of years as I've poked around from time to time I've had the impression that all of their titles are declining and none of their communities are generally content. Of course, some of that poking around is on reddit subs and chan boards so I might have contracted eye cancer and missed something. Still, it makes me wonder where the bean counters are allowing this to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Tax write-off. We're entering Uwe Boll territory.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Feldon

Even if they had the talent to create it and talent to market it, they have no capital left to mount a comeback by creating a new game. They bled EQ, EQ2, and SWG dry to fund over $150 million in development on games that never went anywhere. Now they are down to a shoestring. In computer terms, Daybreak is at the kernel panic stage. Or as I said earlier, there's only so far you can coast on a 1/4 tank of gas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

Heck I can make my bronco get me to work on E for at least four days.

I know my truck darn it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Feldon

• Like Like x 1
  20. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

H1Z1 funds are now being siphoned to fund EverQuest 3; players who missed zombies in H1Z1 will be pleased to learn that the game itself will soon become one.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1