1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Future of EQII

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by felix, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Get a job at a game company that actually care about their games and not just the bottom line?

Not surprised at all that players have left H1Z1, from what I seen on reddit people were pretty upset of all the bugs never getting fixed while new ones were introduced constantly...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Probably a good time to be an upcoming development studio looking for some decent developers. Assuming you have a sensible management structure in place that doesn't allow them to **** all over the playerbase.

Someone call Smedley and get him to hook Amazon up?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is gonna hurt. H1z1 was the only real money maker they had.

May not just be eq2 that gets the axe. Might be the entire company.

Another typical soe->DBG management fail.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. Senya

Senya Member

When I read that article yesterday I thought the same thing. I quit giving DBG my money already, and I don't play even as F2P, but even so it's going to be a sad day when they actually shut the game(s) down. I have a lot of fond memories of Norrath. EverQuest was my first love, but EverQuest 2 was "home" to me for several years.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Archangel

Archangel New Member

That list is in alphabetical order.

My guess at triage order:

Just Survive
    EverQuest II
    EverQuest I
    DC Universe Online
    H1Z1

In this case "triage order" being who's headed toward digital heaven.

Why put DC Universe Online before H1Z1? Since DCUO probably makes more cash than H1Z1, at the moment? The likely large licensing fee.

For example somewhere I read (or mis-read) that the TV series Supergirl has licensing fee of $500,000 per episode. And Supergirl is not a top tier DC character. DCUO won't likely have this level of cost. But having every major DC character in DCUO must be a significant expense. Down the road some bean counter might think 'why pay this fee when we can create our own superheroes?' I won't pity the fool ...

H1Z1 could still turn things around. Fortnite went from zero to leader in months. However that would require company mental flexibility. Something in short supply at Daybreak.

What would be funny and ironic, would be Sony Playstation buying H1Z1 for the PS4. At a reduced price, of course.

Personally I'm still holding out for Amazon to grab the EverQuest IP. Was a marginal prospect early in 2017, but a better one now. Because Amazon Game Studios had a major setback with it's new Breakaway game.

Amazon's 'Breakaway' game is on hold while developers make changes
    October 27 2017
    Amazon's 'Breakaway' game in on hold while developers make changes

https://compete.kotaku.com/sources-amazons-breakaway-is-basically-canceled-1819874378
    October 26 2017
    Sources: Amazon's Breakaway is Basically Canceled

This is not good PR for Amazon. A distraction or face-saving move would be buying a recognizable IP or game company. Bezos could pay for EverQuest with couch money. Which would be Smed's Revenge.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Except....Smed likely doesn't want the eq or eq2 ip's.

Only way I see this happening is if he sees value in an eq(3), and even then, Ashes of Creation is basically Eqnext actually being executed.

Eq2 is an absurd mess at this point. An old engine with layers upon layers of quick fixes and systems bloat. Nope, cost way to much to rewind and fix it. The game has been horribly mismanaged.

Besides, Smed is no fan of mmo's. He sees console boxes, shooters, and mobas as the market.

9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, does DBG actually own LOTRO and DDO, or do they just get a cut?

10. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

11. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I believe the last information I read was that the licensing contract for DCUO only extends to 2020 and given the near shambles DBG seems to be in, I would be surprised if it is extended.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Not saying it can't happen, and maybe CN has some bigger plan, but I'm gonna be real surprised if DBG survives more than a few years.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Archangel

Archangel New Member

Looks like I got the previous post just under the wire.

The OLD KING of Battle Royale is all but defeated!

"Most H1Z1 players have moved on to other battleroyal games like PUBG and Fortnite. Or they've gone for completely different multi-player games"
    "players blaming the decline on poor developer support. And ongoing issues with the game, which have not been fixed. Like bugs and performance problems."
    02:55 "91% decline in player base is absolutely huge" ... "Why are people flocking away from your game?" ... "It's because you're not supporting your gamers. Because you're not keeping the players that you got."

Pokemon Switch Hoax + PUBG Features Stalled by Cheaters + Sonic Movie Delay - The Know

Go to 05:37 H1Z1's Playerbase Has Declined Like Crazy After PUBG, Fortnite

Ouch.

My pessimistic worst case view was EverQuest II down in 2020. Looks like 'pessimistic' or 'worst case' was actually optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Until there are fundamental changes in the EQ2 team, things are going to continue on their path.

Unrelated picture:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  17. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

18. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Yep. The blind leading the blind (no offense to the visually impaired). I mean how childish can Kander get? Sheesh!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Haha :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I wonder how many of the developers actually play EQ2? I don't mean play in god mode or with their developer buddies. I mean make a new character with no advantages and no preset group of friends to play with. They need to do that. All of them. They are living in a self imposed bubble and only listen to glowing praise.

They have no idea what it is like to play their own game. They need to see how dead pugs, purs, and the chat channels in general are. Roam through zones where they might be the only player in it. Look at the ruined in game economy, the inflation of prices, etc. Living in a bubble makes you blind and ignorant to what is going on around you.

If you don't want to listen to all of your player base, then at least find out for yourself first hand. That might open some eyes or not.

P.S. I forgot to mention that they need to see the glaring disparity that still exists between players at level 110 (in spite of the gear crates, etc.). See first hand the huge class and itemization imbalances that still exist.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5