1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Of all things I'm playing Palworld right now.

Zero microtransactions. We rolled our own private server.

The devs have responded to pleas for 'more content' from players who 'no lifed' the game for 3 weeks has been a refreshing "we're glad you enjoyed what the game is now, and we're working on more." No pressure. No 'live service' FOMO to keep playing an empty game. Just, 'we're glad you had fun. When we have more stuff, we'll let you know.' Amazing.

A team that was expecting 50k players got 19 million players instead.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

*waves*

I really should go do something about BG3. I loved the first one, never finished the 2nd yet but got through both the Icewind Dale titles. Point and click doesn't bother me, (Veteran of SSI games) but I found the best thing about them was the scripting engine. At my peak I had one of the IWD games so well scripted that when the party got to a combat I could just sit back and let it run like a movie! Sooooo satisfying :D

What you said about the censorship is interesting too. It's funny how the US censors are so over-sensitive about sex and nudity yet don't blink an eye at the amount of bloody violence depicted. In the UK it's the exact opposite. Seems you can have as much sex as you like but more than a couple of drops of blood and it's consigned to the editting room floor!

Back in the day 44 minute episodes of A-Team used to regularly get cut below 40 mins and that one didn't even have blood and fatalities! One station here has been re-running the reboot 5-0 series and they regularly cut the establishing shots of the crime scene shown just before opening credits so it can be halfway through the ep before you get dialogue clues for the details of the crime they're investigating. Several episodes got skipped completely as the editting cuts would have been too severe to actually show the remainder. And that included skipping part 1 of a 2 part story while continuing to air part 2. That was nicely confusing for the audience - especially as part 1 also killed off a popular recurring character! Which way do the censors lean in NZ?

I had to give up on ESO when they messed with scaling - twice. They changed harvesting to only give mats at your skill level instead of at zone level so I could no longer use one toon to harvest for all the others. Then they scaled it so any zone was a 'challenge' regardless of the level of toon you took to it. Sadly there are days when I don't want a challenge, I just want to bumble about in a safe zone picking flowers and admiring the scenery. Once I couldn't do that anymore it got uninstalled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  3. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Devs that actually listen to their players? Mind boggling! Totally stressed out with DPG's latest mega time-sink content push I've been spending my time in Tamriel with Daggerfall. No devs, no elitist or cluesless players, just blissfully stress free gaming :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

"Why do you like Diablo 3? It's so EASY. You get a build and blow up the screen!"

Yes, and?

• Like Like x 2
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Being a colonial Dominion of the British Empire until early 20th century, we tend to lean towards British sensibilities. Having said that, we don't go so far as your censors seem to (based on your description). We don't really like very graphic violence, but sex and nudity is fine. A little blood is ok, but not too much. The A-Team didn't get cut, nor did other series that had some fight scenes etc.

6. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Word. I've played on PC and XBox (the latter because life went stupid in January and still isn't straightened out so console it is for now). XBox is crashier than PC. Both are fun. The salt from certain corners is damn near as entertaining as the game itself.

Plus Skyrim. Because it's everywhere.

Seriously, the no-lifers are a plague on gaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I have to second enjoying Baldur's Gate 3. I'm still playing online deck builders like Hearthstone and Star Realms, but I really miss the RPG aspect of online games. I can't really do MMOs or anything relying on quick movement. Too many years of working on a computer. But Baldur's Gate 3 is turn based, so not much need for anything quick, and it has a rich story and great voice acting.

I actually like the point and click to move, but what I don't like is the camera goes all over the place and I have to hit a lot of keys to get to facing "forward" again as I move around. I find that annoying.

As mentioned above there are racy parts to this game so it's not for kids. I like playing in the single player mode so I can play when I want and for how long I want and I can pause or stop at any time and I can save as much as I want which I do constantly. I also like how it's very DnD and very "choose your own adventure". My husband has watched me play and declared it "too complex" for him. So it's not for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I think I really need to track down BG3. I've been spending most of my time lately back in Daggerfall which I was highly addicted to back in the day. The new port into the Unity engine adds a stability that the original never had, even when fully patched. It also updates it to run on modern machines so no more messing with Dosbox settings which is what drove me away in the first place.

If you ever used to play Daggerfall or just want another game in which to potter around and do your own thing I'd highly recommend looking up Daggerfall Unity - and it's completely free! :cool:

9. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I bought BG3 when it released and then never played it because I got distracted with other games - I do want to play it though. I'm currently busy replaying every Souls game before the new Elden Ring DLC releases, on Dark Souls 2 right now. After I finish the Elden Ring DLC maybe I'll finally play BG3...

As far as MMOs are concerned I'm playing FF14. The new expansion looks hella awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Rhodris, stop screwin' around on the internet! .....:)

Anyway, same ole story for me. Playing DDO (periodically) while waiting for AoC to be released.

Surprisingly, for a Daybreak published game, DDO has the weathered the storm fairly well. The population is still fine, and even though they don't publish brand spanking new content every year, they still come up with new and enjoyable ways to experience what's there on a regular and frequent basis. Sorta lends evidence to the obvious conclusion that the SSG team understands its customers, while the EQ2 folks still haven't figured out that they should even care about that.

Mostly I play solo, pop in when I want, and dial-up the challenge to what ever level I feel like playing. Works great.

Gotta say, I don't miss the rush to end game only to spend the next 11.5 months grinding the same 12 zones over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.......for gear that has a 0.00000000000000000000000000009% chance of dropping.

11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I keep thinking that I'm going to give Elden Ring a try. The game is truly stunning visually and the game play looks fun. But, I just never get around to it. Maybe one day....