1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Wondered how long this would take...

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Finally got a ban warning for "trolling" with a post that was not even remotely a troll.

Honest and factual, yes. Critical? Slightly, but nowhere near as critical as I have been in the past.

Me thinks the anxiety level at DBG is in the uptick, because this kind of controlling/manipulative behavior tends to surface when people are feeling that way.

Since I responded to the warning (with a calm tone and more honesty), I'm sure a ban is soon to follow.

P.S. Post as Gillymann over there.

2. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

It's very simple. If you do not like what they have done and are doing to the game, they do not want you as a customer. The whales are keeping them afloat and they are chasing them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

It's not their business model that bothers me. It is what is, and it's their right to offer what ever they want.

It's the deceptive and overly manipulative way they are going about that ticks me off. They should just own what they are doing, play to what strengths they have left, and stop trying to fleece people into buying with their amateurish manipulative gimmicks.

It's not just DBG, I call out anyone who engages in deceptive marketing tactics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

If five people are actively posting here, I will keep the forums running. But I just think it would send one hell of a message if everyone on the official forums changed their signature to say they are posting here and then stopped posting there, it works be a wake up call. And Radarx told me that forum signatures can promote a fansite.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Everyone uses eq2u (in fact, if you turned that off, be amazing to watch how swiftly eq2 would die....).

In any case, peeps just refer to eq2wire forums as "The other forum" because they fear getting banned for mentioning it.

Possible to put a big neon sign on eq2u pages?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Can't speak for others, but I frequently call these forums TheOtherForums deliberately, to distinguish them and to draw attention to the fact that there is indeed another platform we can use.

(And I always link directly to these forums in any reply I make referencing them, in addition to telling people one-on-one to check this place out.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  7. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I don't post very often on the official forums since I don't play anymore but I did notice that posts disappear over there regularly and replies in threads are removed. Just means that the official forums will become an echo chamber and to the casual observer they will appear fairly dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I think I've only corrected folks that thought these forums and EQ2U would be closed when Feldon retired. Hm. I do think my signature is due for a change, the current one has made whatever point it was going to.

9. Xakrein

Xakrein Member

Do you have a copy of said post?

10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Nah, they deleted it. And upon reflection, the post was slightly critical of DBG, but sympathetic to the dev team.

I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me if they deleted orhers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

I disagree.

I think an action like this would play into the hand that at an organization level Daybreak would prefer. The official EQ2 forums are a burden that honestly I think that Daybreak would just as soon be rid of. The forums are a distraction, liability, and most importantly a cost that if they could simply alleviate themselves of they probably would.

There is no benefit they derive via them - especially as a vehicle for two-way conversations.

Now the question is why don't they then just shut them down (or at a minimal remove customer write access and just use it for "official announcements")...well, if I had to guess, it's out of respect for "history" (the we've "always" done it this way) and perhaps the perhaps painful, but honest marketing message it would send to their customers

12. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

I think they keep them open because a lot of people keep playing if they 'feel' like they have a spot they can air their grievances in, even if it is pointless to do so.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

RadarX told me they tried to shut down the EQ2 forums entirely a couple of times. Given their course of outsourcing all social media and player communication to outside companies, the question is not IF they will dump their off-the-shelf self-hosted forums and go to some turnkey bullshit like Vanilla, but when.

Here's my angle: Right now, people post on the official forums, and devs very rarely reply. As sanitized and useless as it is, it maintains the illusion in casual reader's heads and developer's heads that the forums, as bad as they are, are "fine" and "just the nature of the beast" and that we are a vocal minority of "haters".

If EVERYONE quit, then that would be an indictment of the entire thing. We would be sending a message of ZERO CONFIDENCE in their forums and would put up alarm bells through the company. Joke as you will about PR and Marketing, but one thing they do religiously is read the forums and put together weekly reports based on the # of New Daily Threads (that was the metric RadarX always quoted back to me, above all others). If that number went to zero, then people near the top of the company would ask why.

If we cut them off cold turkey, they might get pressure from above and be forced to beat a path to OUR door.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

Recognize the name, Gillyman - don't ever remember any trolling posts from you. Sorry about the warning. I don't even go "there" anymore so don't know what was said, but I fully believe that it wasn't ban-worthy. Honestly, mmorpgs are sad for me these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

Your post was well-stated, but this is what jumped out at me

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Count me in as not posting there any longer as to do so is/has been a complete waste of time for quite a while now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well , I don't really care about the ban warning. Odds are I will never buy another game with a DBG producer's label on it.

I say never, but the company (at least these days) engages in shady business practices.

I've often been critical of the aloofness and condescending posture of the dev team, but that wasn't the deal breaker. For me, it's the management decisions that have drifted from being just kind of dumb (old days) to down right deceptive (these days).

I don't know who is behind recent management decisions: CN, the CEO, or Holly, because obviously, the are all clumped together.

In any case, it's clear to me that rather than producing a product that customers love to consume, the emphasis is using customers to make money.

And really, if this is what they are about, well fine. Just own it, hi-light the strengths of the game and market them rather playing all these little manipulative games of deception.

No one likes to feel used, and I think people are starting to wake up to the game DBG execs are actually playing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Actually, it was refreshing to see Gninja to come out and say there will be mo more contested zones because they don't have the staff to do it.

This kind of honesty and candor was respected even if it disappointed some folks.

Perhaps they can take a lesson from that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

It's the current state of the big players in the games industry I am afraid. Have a look at EA's games as a service theory and practice.

20. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

^ I stopped playing for years when I got perma banned, tbh it still pisses me off. Forums to me was part of the game, particularly the housing section.

The kicker was Holly sending me an in-game tell to advise me to be nice in chat.

Believe it or not I’m pretty helpful in-game, and her tell made me feel like killing kittens.
    Sadly she can’t be placed on ignore.

Attached Files:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2