1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Daybreak games shut down in 2 months?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Sweatypie, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Exactly. Sanctions are not going to kill the company, but ties to a cast of shady business people have helped move things along. DBG already enjoyed a terrible reputation, this stuff does not help.

Epstein is a vulture investor. He will cut every possible corner on quality and exploit the most loyal customers until there is nothing left to squeeze, then he'll rip the company apart and liquidate it.

The reason the company ended up in the portfolio of a vulture investor is because it has been terribly managed for years. In my thirty years of commercial banking and private practice, I don't know that I have ever come across a management culture that is so grossly incompetent and so arrogant about it.

Anyone who thinks this company is not on a death spiral is drinking the cool aide.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Oh, DBG is hurting, but is not likely to be closed on June 5th, but their actions before now are very suspicious and so I think the government is going to keep looking for wrongdoing to shut them down. Where there is smoke, is often a fire... So eventually DBG is likely to be closed or whatever happens to business that are caught doing illegal things. Not sure if DBGs would be better off sold to another company, unless that company is willing to truly invest and try to make it grow, rather than be plundered,

3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Couple new posts about DBG pissing people off.

One is about a guy buying something from the market place only to have his card charged and not receive what he bought. CS told him to try another purchase.

Second was an obligatory weekly discord ban hammer

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Under normal circumstances, yeah, but given everything this is caught up in, the situation is anything but normal. I'm operating on the assumption it shuts down June 5, possibly to return later, but who knows? Besides, one cannot underestimate the sheer amount of damage this whole affair has done.

Besides, I'm half convinced it's going to come out that some crazy shady things have been going on, like running cryptocurrency mining on the game servers (or worse!) and everything will turn out worse than expected. It certainly seems the pattern.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Agreed, why im not using my 2 krono for now. If company folds, I only lose out on using them, one I paid for with ingame money (at half the broker price from a guildie/friend) and the other was a gift from someone quitting, so no real lose if I don't get to use them.

6. Senya

Senya Member

I feel bad for the people that paid for krono during those "sales". Even if the game doesn't shut down June 5th, I'm thinking the supply is probably already higher than the demand these days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

If I was a DBG employee, I would have been shopping my resume around long before this CN/Russian shady business dealings came to light. I'm really amazed that that we've not heard that "Dev X and Dev Y" have left DBG in the past month, but I know it takes time to find a new job once you finally see the writing on the wall.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Senya

Senya Member

I wonder if some of those people passing out their resumes will regret the not-so-customer-friendly attitudes and comments they've enjoyed making for the last few years.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Shariff (Ashes of Creation) has been busily adding experienced eq1 and eq2 devs (and other DBG titles) since day one.

Who knows who else he has approached. But it's a good bet there are some familiar names he hasn't.

Still, I would think even a start up like AOC has a more interesting and optimistic future than DBG.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Pink Poodle

Pink Poodle New Member

Can he do a chargeback?

11. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

If he does that, his DBG account is immediately and permanently banned. They take no prisoners with reversal of credit card payments.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

To me it doesn't really matter what DBG does now or in the future. At current situation they won't ever receive a dime from me, way too much shady business going on. Even without the shady business I doubt I would ever support them due to how buggy and non polished all their releases are.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Some one blinked and the gerbil powering the chat wheel escaped and they are still trying to find it to put it back to work as mail and chat seems to be down on just about all the servers for hours, as well as friends list being empty. Each day a new adventure in EQ2... seeing what else is broken. Deh Broken Games should be their name, in my humble opinion

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

And finally Thart seems to have gained a dev flag. So that only took 12 days then ....

15. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

The deadline of June 5 is rapidly approaching - only a couple of days away now.

What do you think will happen? I would like to see EQ2 continue (my fav game, all said and done - even if the latest expansion and GU are complete crap), but I just do not trust the company one iota.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I think DBG will dodge the bullet... for now. Even, apparently Columbus Nova is not on the shutdown list, according to a news report, however, their shenanigans of deleting and altering public files on the internet is a clear sign for further investigation, to me at least. So I think the government will continue to dig. Where there is smoke is often fire!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to believe we would have seen activity already if the June deadline was a thing for DBG.

Far more likely the game is close to shuttering on its own merits - I think the next 6 months are going to be rough.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

They don't have to be on the official sanction list to be affected by their close (and questionable) association to the companies that are, or are being investigated.

DBG doesn't operate in a bubble, as much as the Gnomes might wish it. They have to contract for operations - banks, internet providers, etc. All it takes is one break in that chain because of no confidence in the company for it all to come crashing down.

And I agree with Fuli, even if that doesn't happen, and there are no sanctions, the game is in a terminal spiral.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I've already warned my raid crew I'm done after this xpac.

It's just as well. I have too many things in RL I've let slide for too long. Time to focus on meatspace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I see them as pretty much unemployable. Unfortunately I think they're too arrogant to suffer regret.

• Agree Agree x 3