1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

What would it take for you to feel confident/optimistic about the future of EQ2 again?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Shmogre, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Speaking from experience, if you know the game well it's actually kind of easy to jump into programming it. We would joke that it's easier to learn C++ than it is to learn the ins and outs of EQII needed to program for it, and there's a lot of truth to that statement (in fact, I think Jamiss was primarily a C# developer before he started working on EQ2). That said, it is a big ol' fragile codebase and it can be difficult to predict the side effects of even seemingly innocuous changes. I definitely started walking on egg shells after I caused some bugs on live; especially because you don't know when you'll have the chance to right your wrongs (if you'll actually get the chance to... see also: any number of issues that still linger because developers had to move onto other stuff).

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
  2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

You do actually kind of need people who know the code and where all the bodies are buried in the designer files. There are many fiddly things in EQ2 that only 1 or 2 people even know how to do. The idea of firing everyone doesn't stand up.

I'm sure the designers would be happy to design great content, but it all starts with the leadership and the decision-makers. You can put lipstick on a pig, but things work better if you start with a different animal!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ansom

Ansom Member

Is like do a little change on a electric implant, for example add and other line with a switch for turn on/off a new light. Is actually pretty easy, right?

To bad the house have a 50 old base implant, and some time Electrician have change/add something. Of course.. not all electrician are "professionals". Now if you open the electric box you will find many many wire with no sense, layer on layer on layer, with no clue about the scheme used, or safeguard... You can just cut some wire, check the charge, add put black Scotch tape. All fine right? Just be fast for call the fireman..

The easy and safe thing to do? make a new electric implant.. Because is not "if", but "when" the system will collapse.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I think it is too late Shmogre as other than those that play the game currently and those that participate on the EQ2 forums and these forums there is no one left that cares. (Some on the development team care and its hard to say if any DB management care.)

There is not going to be a sudden rush of new players into the game and the only thing you can do as a company is try to preserve the player base you have left unfortunately that doesn't seem to be a priority for DB.

I cannot convince any of my family/friends etc to play EQ2 and some of them have played it before. My guild is down to 2 regulars and a handful of casuals of which I am one and currently one of the regulars is talking about going to play Wow with her husband.

The barrier to entry in the game is high and there a huge lack of information on class specs/guides etc. Fortunately the wiki is being maintained for quests otherwise no one could find any of the quest items/objectives in the latest expansions. Quo dos to those participating in the wiki.

PS. The current survey going out was at least a positive sign but then again maybe one of the many manager read that it was a good idea to send one out.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Those people are all gone. And have been for years. It's done.

OH- And EQ2 DEVS/PROSCREWERS/WHATEVER should NOT be in DISCORD. That is not an official channel, and is total bullshit. They have official forums, use that for official disclosure. Of course, that doesn't matter since they outright delete so many threads on the official forums (which should also not be allowed. Locked, yes, deleted, no).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

A time machine.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

<grin> Nope, not at all.

I'm appreciating people taking the time to say what they think could help, and it's interesting to hear different people's viewpoints, priorities, and breaking points. I know how I feel about things, I was curious how others felt. Big thanks to everyone for the replies, and thanks to Feldon for this sounding board.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  8. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

Petulant response. I have no sympathy if they did quit over that. Just shows they care more about it being their way instead of what it should be - the game, and its players.

If they feel that threatened, good. Daybreak treats its playerbase the same way. lol

Rodcet Nife forbid, save the coal mining industry from that terrible menace, solar power!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

Don't like it, don't pay.

IMO, the question raised just isn't realistic; there isn't any way at all for them to regain my $.

The game I enjoyed spending lots of my leisure time in has been gone a long time.
    Big props to the current team for helping me break my addiction.

Breakups are tough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Ark.
    Lotro.
    Elder Scrolls Online.
    Strangely, even EQ1.
    All better than EQ2 now. By leaps and Bounds
    The current "Company ownership" wants EQ2 dead. Let's help, and leave.
    No More DBG Store purchases.
    No more subs.
    Let them shut down, if only to end our addiction.
    Hell, that is why I can't even wear the Mythical chest gear I got from KA keys, but can wear gear 3 times better in pop just for showing the **** up.
    Addiction.
    Shut Down DBG, Entirely.

11. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Honestly, if you don't like it, don't play it.

Trying to call for people to stop purchasing etc is just silly. Let people decide if they want to pay or not.

$30 for the year isn't an overly large amount of money in my eyes, I'm happy to pay that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Feldon

Don't like it. Not playing it.

Expansion is $40, $90, or $140. Not $30.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I tell folks, when they ask, try it for free and see if you like it before you commit time and money to the game. I can't, in good conscience, recommend the game in the state that it's in.

I also don't discourage folks who enjoy the expansion, or enjoy the game sans the past 2 expansions, subbed or unsubbed.

I am curious though, how do you come to the 30$ per year figure? That's 2(ish) months subscription on it's own, and the base expansion costs more than that - it shouldn't, but it does.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ansom

Ansom Member

Well, for me is 31€ (without member discount), for errrorr is 27£ (without member discount). If you play, and know how to make plats, you probability can play buying krono from the broker. I have quit the game few months ago, but i don't remember when i pay (credit card) the member ship the last time.. I think few months before krono arrive. And i still have 10 krono on my account.

15. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

As Ansom says, expac is like £25 for Brits with membership, Kronos rest of the year and sorted. I don't buy DBC, I don't buy spell research, so other than that it's all done for the year.

16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Agree mostly with what you said here - to each their own.

The only caveats I would add is that if I believe any company is misleading people, or if i believe the quality is poor, im gonna give others a heads up, if I can.

Still, they need to decide for theselves.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

Give Kander and the rest of the development team a real experienced boss again, someone who understands gaming and mmos in particular.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Senya

Senya Member

I'm reasonably sure I've completely lost interest at this point. My sub just renewed during all the holiday festivities, so I've got some paid time left. It's hard for me to imagine that something will really spark my interest in the next three weeks, but I guess anything is possible. If that doesn't happen, I'm calling it quits.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Honestly? To have even a chance at a comeback it would have to be in the hands of an outfit that cared about retooling it, then tripling the staff (while getting new leadership in place) and basically overhauling the whole thing over the course of a year or two, with content releases every so often to keep things going.

Even that wouldn't save it. This was one of the classic "good communities" and it has been squandered and destroyed.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Feldon

SOE Daybreak has been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for over a decade.

• Agree Agree x 6