1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the Isle of Refuge changes?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Shmogre, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I'm curious what folks on these forums think of the changes that were made to the Isle of Refuge server recently.

2. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

Still not worth the xfer fees. I love the idea and would probably go there with all my accounts if it was a free xfer.

3. Malleria

Malleria Member

A slap in the face to subscribers on every other server, and I don't use that term lightly.

We've been telling them for years to make subscription benefits better, that free accounts were too close. These changes are exactly what was needed to entice people to become subscribers. But they **** on us by making it only apply to a single server. Colour me unimpressed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I'm holding off commenting more fully while I think it through a bit more, but I will say that the changes have already caused another division in the playerbase and are creating more "us vs. them" vitriol in The Other Forums (tm).

That's the last thing Norrath needs right now. :(

5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

With the announced closing of Stormhold, I'd consolidated and deleted a few characters.. and I'd planned on making a new toon on IoR to try it out.
    Ironically, the recent... exchanges... on the 'official' forums has me seriously reconsidering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

If the players sprouting on forums about how awesome IoR is, are an indication of the type of player on IoR, I'd uninstall before I went there.
    They're honestly making me hope it fails. It also irks me because the two main offenders are being ruder to other posters than I think I ever was, and I got banned.

Another ridiculous decision by DBG. And still no flowery speech on forums from Holly. Does she even still work there?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

Isle of Refuge is my favorite server, and I have toons on every server. "Stuff" management is much easier on IoR without most of the heirloom and no-trade tags, and I have some good friends there. Months ago, I moved six toons over from my main server, Halls of Fate, and I have NO plans to move any toons off the server.

I don't know why IoR suddenly got these perks, although, along with everyone else, I surmise that the population drop when Fallen Gate opened is likely responsible. Adding these advantages to a single server does seem ill-advised, however, for me personally, the perks are irrelevant - I would be staying on IoR with or without them. I wish the free trade rule set were rolled out to all servers; the divisiveness and name-calling on both sides saddens me. There's no call for that.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Lots of thoughts, but I'll try to distill them down:

This decision feels short-sighted. The perks are good ones that we've asked for over many years. To offer them is good, especially with the current state of the game and the community. To offer them out of the blue and to restrict them to a single server causes a division that Norrath can't afford.

Until the powers-that-be share their thoughts, the reasoning behind this could be anything...we won't know unless someone from Daybreak addresses the issue. What we do know is that however well-meaning it might be, the decision is splintering an already fractured community.

(And logical or not, I'll admit that it does make me feel like my subscription is now worth less than others because I don't want to split my time or lose years of history on my current server. Yes, I can move or start over on IoR, but it feels wrong that I have to make that choice in order to get the full benefit of a subscription.

Differences between subscribing and not-subscribing make sense. Differences when paying the same monthly subscription cost feel wrong; if they want that, then they should bring back tiers and let people choose what feature level or server access they want.)

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Sigh...and now there are people claiming that the live servers are nothing but free-to-play and old silver accounts that aren't paying any more, so we should be thanking the people on the special ruleset servers for "keeping the lights on" and letting us continue to freeload on our free servers.

I'm curious where the idea got started that *only* people on the subscription-required servers pay to play the game, considering how long the game required a subscription and that there are people still on their original servers and still paying. Not to mention the fact that many subscribers have toons on multiple servers, live and special ruleset.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

The posters (on official forums) that are trying to entice more players to IoR, are doing the server and the game more harm than good. They're not doing themselves any favours either.
    It really has become us versus them, and it's just so silly.

All the non-IoR posters want to know is why only a small % of PAYING customers are getting added perks, it's not really much to ask and it should be answered.
    The IoR posters keep derailing and might as well just write WE'RE JUST EXTRA SPECIAL on every thread, because that is how they come across, to me.

If I had read nothing but Rosyposy's post, I might well of rolled a toon there. It's all in the delivery ...

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

She is definitely one of the good ones. And to be fair, the majority of people (on any server) are more like her than some of the more ...passionate... ones on TheOtherForums. Folks like her are part of the quiet core of communities in Norrath.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. Conifur

Conifur Member

This seems to me their way of moving to 2 servers without having to actually close any and make some fast cash in the process. They add some really good perks to member only server while not adding them to any other in hopes of getting the members on the other servers to pay to move over to that server. Then they could consolidate all the other "non-member" servers into one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

I had considered IoR, but think I will stay with my live server (HoF), and FG which is the one I am concentrating on now.

Plus, I have a low tolerance for all the drama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Elinea

Elinea New Member

I think Malleria has the right of it. Those perks should be given to all subscribers, not just subscribers on a single server (which requires a sub just to log in there). I suspect that DBG wouldn't be able to figure out how to separate those perks so that only paying subscribers get them, hence limiting them to a subscriber only server.

They say hindsight is 20/20, and looking back, I think it was a mistake to make the entire game FTP. They should have left the free-to-play servers (Freeport, and whichever others, I can't remember other names right now) separate from subscriber servers and then having these kinds of perks wouldn't have been such an issue. But as the saying goes, you can't unring a bell, so that's that.

15. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

But they already have separated perks on all servers. We (subscribers) get double coin, extra xp on ascension scrolls, and other stuff I can't think of right now. They also have 'sub only' xp weekends and stuff.
    I don't think they can use that excuse.

If DBG were serious about players transferring to IoR, why didn't they allow whole guilds to transfer? Really I just think they do things without thinking, and don't really care that much what the outcome is.

They seem more invested in defending their ridiculous actions, than listening to feedback.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I debated whether or not I wanted to post my thoughts on this topic, given the fuss it caused when I did so in The Other Place. But the tone here appears to be much more moderate and reasonable.

It's been my opinion for a few years now, that with more major game titles offering a hybrid free/subscription model, DBG needs to review and update their subscription perks.

Since I find it difficult to believe that the company can have such a gross lack of understanding of the gaming market, then the addition of the bonuses just to IoR probably serves some other purpose.

I think that the game, and the customers, would have been better served if more incentives had been added to the subscription model, game wide.

The most unfortunate result of this decision, in my opinion, is the effect it's had on the community - propping up an elitist mentality on one end of the spectrum, while causing varying degrees of aggravation and discontent from those who feel undervalued on the other end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I never had any thing against the players on the IOR from the start. All I wanted was for all paying subscribers to get equal benefits no matter what server they are on. When myself and others tried to get an official response from DBG on the EQ2 forums with regard to why all paying subscribers were not treated equally, we had our threads derailed and ultimately either edited heavily or simply deleted all together.

I think it is sad when players attack their fellow players who have a genuine right to express feedback directed toward DBG who we pay for the product/service we receive. I have never understood that, but I do know that when people start resulting to insults as a way to shut down communication, it means they have lost the argument.

It is sad that DBG allowed this to occur on their official forums and didn't give an official response right away. If they had, it wouldn't have escalated the way it did. Sadly, their only response was to join certain players by shutting down feedback from their paying customers. I found the whole episode to be shocking and extremely disgusting.

/end rant

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2