1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Wait For It........

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

And here it comes....

Over the next month, the poor souls who have been investing their hope that all the problems and reservations posted on beta will be addressed....they mostly won't.

Trade skill line will surface over the winter...it will manifest as the afterthought it is. Outrage from crafters.

People will complain about leveling mechanics...again.

Fanboys and girls will come to the rescue, trolling anyone who complains. They will be ok. Non worshipers who complain will be threatened with bans or banned.

People will talk about how disappointed they are, and hang their hat on what developers say they have in the pipeline for the summer/fall.

More cash shop pressure built into the game design.

People will bitch. Others will quit. Fanboys and girls to the rescue.

Rinse and repeat.

Kind of entertaining, really.

2. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

If you are still here, still playing, and still paying you are a hopeless addict. Doesn't seem nice to keep teasing people with a real problem. ;)

3. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

I think I resemble that remark! As I read the OP's comments it made me wonder, "Am I a fanboy" ?

I purchased the PoP premium edition as I had with the KA expansion - though prior to those always opting for the cheapest release. I guess I could blame peer pressure, but that would be a crutch. But it was my fellow players who influenced my change in purchasing behavior when they used the argument of - - well, what else do you do that draws on your entertainment money budget??? And with that coupled with I am at a station in my life where the dollar amount was not going to affect me financially - - so I went all in. And I'm okay with that :p

I am a day one player still playing the same exact character I did on launch night, my dwarven Templar. I am perhaps foolishly brand loyal to SOE / Daybreak as this was my first and only MMO. I've invested too much (time, money, fan site, vacation, community, emotion) to go anywhere else. I honestly I think I can confidently say I will be in #EQ2 until they (whomever they are at that time) pulls the plug on it.

I am a firm strong believer in the motto "speak with your wallet". And in this case I guess I am. I went top-shelf with the expansion purchase. So I guess I am demonstrating support of the product and the decisions that Daybreak is making and executing on. I think I have come to realize at this point Everquest II is what it is - - and if I pay for it, then I am buying into that. And I am fine with that...

So maybe I am a Wallet Fanboy - - if there is such a thing... My participation in Daybreak corporately sponsored communication is low, mainly because I don't think there is anyone else on the other end listening or is interested in what I think or feel about the gameplay or the game's community. The Royal "they" are working on their to-do list and have already have their marching orders or have already made the final answer decision and are executing on it or even finished it, shipped it, and moved onto design of widget-next long before I am able to offer feedback.

I don't think I am out there shaking my maroon and gold pom-poms and certainly don't think I am evangelicalizing for EQ2 - - but perhaps I am passively fanboy'ing Daybreak Games and Everquest II by spending green dollars on their product at this point in its lifecycle...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Nah. As I see it, a fanboy/gal is really a troll that blindly defends their loyalty, and goes after those expressing legitimate concerns.

If you or anyone else is enjoying the game and are happy with the pros and cons, great :).

My beef with DBG is not so much about what they are capable of producing these days, it's about their business practices, which I believe have been on the shady side.

Fanboys are generally just trolls that get a pass, because it serves Dbg's interests.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Elinea

Elinea New Member

Like Dellmon, I've been here since launch, and I've invested too much time, money, effort, blood, sweat, and tears to go anywhere else. I'll be here until the lights go out. Unlike Dellmon, I have a gajillion alts, and I cycle through them with semi-regularity. I don't always agree with the things that Daybreak does, but I also don't think EQ2 is going anywhere anytime soon. I know when/if Pantheon launches, a lot of people will flock to it. I will probably give it a go myself, but if the past 14 years have taught me anything, it's that I always end up back in EQ2. I don't see myself as a fangal, because I will certainly criticize them when I believe they've made a mistake, and I don't try to gloss over everything they do that gets everyone's panties in a bunch. But EQ2 is like second home, and I truly have hopes that it will still be here for years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

EQ2 was my first MMO. I created my first character on January 1, 2007. But at some point you have to realize that it's "not fun". It had become a time-killer that led to more frustration and annoyance than enjoyment. The only expansion I got this year was my waistline.

Before EQ2, I played primarily single-player games like Mario, Metroid, Monkey Island, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. They had a beginning, middle, and end, and they weren't trying to string you along by measuring out content. It's very hard to make an open-ended game fun and it takes a lot of contrivances and treadmilling to keep your pace of achievement slow enough to keep you coming back. I wish more people would try other genres of game than MMOs. I think they'd be shocked at how enjoyable it is. Never be afraid of endings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Elinea

Elinea New Member

Husband and I dabbled with the idea of making our own game, and we ran into this very thought, so we scrapped it and are writing it as a book instead :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Asheron's Call was my first, though I only played for 6 months, then hopped into EQ with some friends. While EQ2 became my home game, I have the benefit of having played and enjoyed several other titles, because while I love EQ2 decorating and holiday events, the pve has never grabbed me. Now that other games have equal holiday/special events as EQ2, and surpassed it in housing, that is no longer the solid anchor it was. But I still loved the game, it was still my home game and the one I returned to.

Until the past couple of years.

I have no issue spending money in a game I enjoy playing. I do have a problem supporting shady business practice, products that are regularly released grossly buggy and incomplete and a dev team that is rude, dismissive and complicit in deceit.

Enjoyment is entirely subjective, so if folks still enjoy what EQ2 has warped into, then by all means - Game on! Though I would admonish that the adage 'you get what you pay for' cuts both ways in this case. So long as just enough players pay for whatever mess gets tossed out there and don't hold the team to a higher standard, then that's exactly what they'll continue to get (for as long as it lasts).

There is almost no talk about the expansion on the official forums. Most of what there is, has been justified upset about how the crafters are being treated this go. And off the official forums? EQ2 what? I'm honestly not sure there are enough players left to support another cycle.

I'm the opposite of Feldon - I never really played many video games until MMOs. Even when I worked in a game store, and had two different consoles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, imho, the crafters are being taken for granted these days.

People who like the fighting game are used to starting over each expac. There is some of that with crafting, but a lot of crafters are also deco mavens with lots of houses and ideas for new ones.

And like has been said here and elsewhere, people don't want to walk away from all the work they've put into those things.

So, if your the eq2 team, you can afford to back burner that stuff and drop in a lame sig line because you know those people are likely to stick around.

This is why Domino made the crafting game special. She genuinely loved creating that content and is a gifted developer. She is also really good with people.....

As far as other mmo's, I've been playing ESO and loving it. THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO. Granted, a lot of that is because I'm new, but, one thing I like about it is I feel no rush to get to end game. So many great stories, and right now, I'm leveling up my rogue in the assassins guild. Sneaking into town, murdering npc targets without being seen by guards. Stealing everything in sight. So much fun!

Don't know to much about the crafting and housing game yet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I never played video games until I was home the last month of my pregnancy with my son and I was bored out of my mind, so my husband downloaded Diablo for me and after that I was hooked. The first online game I played was the Sims Online and after that was There and Second Life. When I discovered Everquest 2 I fell in love and I have been playing it since January 2005.

I have of course played many other games since then, both on and off line. Right now I have been playing Fallout 4 again, which I never tire of as I can play it so many different ways and always discover some thing new. So far of all the mmorpgs I have played, none have held my interest as long as EQ2, but sadly, that love and devotion has been slowly withering away over the last several years.

I mainly still play EQ2 because I have a dear friend that is too lazy to learn how to play any other games and I enjoy spending time with them, but even then, I hardly play at all. I know it is true that all good things must come to an end, and I have finally stopped fighting the inevitable where EQ2 is concerned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1