1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

VENTilation shaft.

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Lojask, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Lojask

Lojask Member

Come, rant in here with me. Try and keep it constructive though. I know we don't have lock-happy types running things here, but there's no need for this to become a flame war. Just let off your steam in a cool way then move on.

My rant:

Yeah, I know people don't care if you go 'bah I'm leaving cya', and this isn't really a thread about that (although I suppose in a way it is). I either need to find my love for the game again fast or I'm done.

Now I have defended the devs and some of their decisions in this game. It can't be easy to make such a large MMO. Code is awful and can easily go wrong. However lately I have been getting very tired. I'm bored of logging in each patch day to play the "What has been broken this week?" game. Kander's trolling, akin to a child going 'ner ner I know something you don't' has really got my back up, and this ridiculous hunt with no real direction has turned a lot of people off from the inital excitement of the epics.

Almost everything that was given as a clue to epic 2.0 was a troll (okay, we kinda knew that to some extent but still). There was a prereq to see the first cache when we were told there wasn't (more than the Ascension 5 requirement/KA sig/Epic 1.0) and then got told was but "we're not telling you" even though there are thousands of achievements, quests, factions and collections. The fighters had the prereq of gymy to read their cache books for "clues". We have literally had to comb every single zone, and with the last priest cache which (if the fighter cache is the same) should give us the starter, we once again have no idea where it will be, other than not in a zone we've already found a cache in by searching every inch.

Yes, you can argue that the 1.0s were the same, however, they were clearly easier to discover (going by discovery date after introduction GU), simply because the server pops were much, much larger and the haystack was smaller. By my rough count, there were ~30 overland zones with the launch of RoK, and over 10 added since. That's more than 1/4 of the game.

I'm looking around for something else to play already and that makes me sad. I did it before when WoW launched Pandaria and the original talent system was decimated. I did it in RIFT when Trion launched their farce of a 5 year anniversary 'competition'. It takes a big thing to get me to turn my back on an MMO, and this is up there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

TBH you contributed a huge amount of work with your KA quest line data, I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit burnt out.

Taking a break from ANY game might be a better choice if you feel like you've been MMO hopping. It might be that you are very burnt out across the board, and need to take a breather.

Years ago, a player named Spinks wrote a good document on burn out, that I like to read every so often when I am feeling crispy around the edges.

Thoughts on burnout in MMOs and how to avoid it

It is a good read, and I recommend looking it over. Some people scoff at the concept that MMO's can cause you to have mental issues, but IMHO anything you do in life can cause problems.

Read it over. Take a moment and do non-gamey things, or play a casual game for a bit and pause your intense gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lojask

Lojask Member

I appreciate your thoughts, and I do tend to take long breaks between switching MMOs. I have a lot of things outside the game that I do instead. I'm just feeling that things are being handled very unprofessionally :( and while it's nice to have the contact with the devs, I don't think it should be at players' expense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I talk to Kander pretty often and I feel like most of what was said in the Epic channel ended up being a big joke and wasted the time of a lot of players who believed they were being given genuine hints.

Just generally, I find the relationship between devs and players to be adversarial and sarcastic these days. It's not healthy. I know if I bring up any other issue than Census, I'm going to get a smart ass reply, so I don't even try.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I have also defended the devs, and have frequently said that the EQ2 team are one of the most interactive I've seen. I feel for them and what they've gone through this past year plus. I love this game, and I keep playing and paying and supporting and cheerleading. But it does feel like there is a bit of tunnel-vision on the other side of the screen...what seems obvious to someone intimately familiar with the game holds absolutely no significance for those of us out here.

My biggest issue now is that even though the starters have been found, there is no "aaaahhh, *that's* what that clue meant!" The one real clue Kander seemed to give (get back to your roots and archetypes) did help, since it led to the city quests, and that did start the ball rolling for lots more folks to find the caches. But unless I missed it, there was little that gave a clue as to where the caches were actually located...it seemed more like luck and a near-fanatical persistence that led to the hidden locations being found.

Can someone make me feel a bit better and tie together how the locations for the various caches fit in with anything that might have been a clue? I don't mind a hunt, I don't mind an intricate questline, but I do mind when it feels like random flailing. :(

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Annax

Annax New Member

Think the closest thing to them tying to anything that was said or given, is that both the verified firsts are in zones with one of the X'aphon family tied to (BB and CL). So if scouts starter is the doors (FP first), and if mages find theirs in KJ it would maybe be that.

The logic of it all seems really fuzzy tho. And lots of ppl will feel they wasted 2 weeks cause they play new toons or just dont quest much and never bothered with those city lines. Not seen anything that ties the city lines into it at all.

And scale break is just....

Think the biggest flaw with it all is putting hidden pre-reqs to even get starter. Nobody minds weird reqs over the quest itself when you can actually think what it could be.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

More venting: There have been typos on every single step of this epic quest so far (as a fighter). Apostrophe used for a plural, words not capitalized, a period and a comma next to each other, bad noun-verb agreement ("ratios outweighs you", a twofer with the lowercase "r" at the beginning). I have diligently /typoed each one, but I'm not sure they read those reports (since "plaguebringer's Communion" is still sitting there making me twitch).

It makes me a sad ogre. :(

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Inire

devs working to the wall for months on end leads to some things falling through. but there are still typos from shattered lands in the game....

9. Lojask

Lojask Member

I always do a /typo when I find them and if you do that they get fixed pretty fast. If you noticed a patch recently, there was a correction to a HKC quest text, that was a /typo report I'd submitted the week before as someone at DBG had clearly c&p'd some quest text from a Sanctum of the Scaleborn quest. Usually it flashes up really fast so people hadn't noticed, but I grind my ascension in HKC, and happened to spot it this time and put a report in.

Edit: Be really full with your reports, if you make sure you put the quest name (and/or NPC name), the location, what the typo actually is, things like that, they can pin it down much more easily. And typos are simple to fix in the scheme of things so it will get done :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Inire

heh.

not saying it doesn't get fixed, and I do appreciate that people do the /typo.

Good stuff, and keep it up, just not super surprised that there's a few issues with the quests.

11. Lojask

Lojask Member

I'm sure there will be. Even with a proper Beta (of which I don't feel this one was by any stretch) things will fall through, code is a beast. I just feel like this has been super shoddy all round. Things that did get noted and bugged on Beta were either missed or ignored, that's pretty poor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Inire

have you looked through the beta forums here? so many things.... but eh. running to the red line for ~4 months is a bit much, especially when the expansion pack changed from Luclin to Kunark midway through...

13. Lojask

Lojask Member

I was in the beta, so I posted some things on the forums myself :)

Edit: For those that haven't made the connection, I'm Lojaak on the 'official' forums, that is my warden, Lojask is my channeler.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Inire

for those that haven't made the connection, i'm "banned asshat" on the 'official' forums

<grin>

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Oh, I definitely give details. And I've seen a few get fixed ("plaguebringer's Communion" used to be "Plaugebringers Communion", so there is progress), and gotten dev feedback on some stuff during betas. I know that in the grand scheme of things, typos are relatively minor. I think it just hurts to see them, and so many of them in a single questline, because I know the team are working their arses off...the "sad ogre" was more for the unfortunate image things like that give to an already beleaguered group of devs (especially with the unhappy folks who are screaming that nothing was ready on time and everything was rushed and rawr rawr pitchforks rawr!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Onra

Onra Guest

This was my experience the vast majority of the time and quite frustrating.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Inire

it cuts both ways.

players have been a bit hostile in the past few years, and we tend to take things to an extreme, and to hold them to "promises" that may or may not be direction from the company.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lojask

Lojask Member

Typos do make the game look really unprofessional. There are also many in the priest epic, and I've seen a few where I was transcribing the KA quests that I still need to go back and do a report for. It's not hard to run something past another person, or an editor, just to check the spelling and grammar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

Wonder which side needs the other more.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Onra

Onra Guest

This is certainly true, but it's impossible to have such a large group of unorganized people all behave perfectly. The Devs have to be the ones to take the high road and understand that while there will always be hostile players, the majority are just trying to be constructive until thrust in to the "Us vs Them" mentality.

• Agree Agree x 4