1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to search by character name

Discussion in 'Census: EverQuest II' started by Benj, May 7, 2020.

  1. Benj

    Benj New Member

    I'm trying to write a small app to help my guild leaders track raid members and quest progress. The app starts by asking for character names that will later populate the roster. Most of the time, this search fails with a 404 error. Rarely, it will succeed. The only pattern I've noticed is that each request that failed takes more than 30 seconds, while each request that succeeds takes less than 30 seconds. It's also slightly more likely to work with my own character (Benj) than with any of my guild members. Has anyone else seen this? Is there something I can do to correct it?

    Here's an example request using my own character name:
    https://census.daybreakgames.com/ge...rue&c:case=false&c:sort=displayname&c:limit=8

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Feldon

    Feldon Administrator Staff Member

    Welcome to the world of EQ2 census.

    First up I don't think C: case works anymore. If you need a case insensitive search for a character name use name.first_lower.

    So my understanding of census is that your query loads all 3.4 million EQ2 characters which have ever been exported to census into memory -- even characters on servers which have not existed in 6 years. Then the process sifts through those characters to find the first eight with the specified name. I'm pretty sure what's happening is that the process running your query is running out of memory.

    Because of the volume of data present in census,I it is recommended to limit the scope of your query as much as possible before conducting any searches. In this case I suggest limiting your query to worldID and guild ID before providing a name search. The query will then come back in a fraction of a second. You can also greatly accelerate results by using c: show. Otherwise you get a ton of information about each character -- up to 1 MB of XML per character.

    I'll work on an example.
     
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Benj

    Benj New Member

    Thanks Feldon! I removed the case-insensitive search and searched with name.first_lower instead. It instantly pulled up each character I tried in less than one second.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Feldon

    Feldon Administrator Staff Member

  5. Feldon

    Feldon Administrator Staff Member

  6. Feldon

    Feldon Administrator Staff Member

    Let me know when you're ready to do quests. It's tricky.
     
  7. Benj

    Benj New Member

    Thanks for the example queries. Because I'm making this app for a guild alliance, filtering to a specific guild is not always desirable. My guild leader even requested that characters from other servers could be added since the quest rewards we're tracking are account wide. I figured out the quests on my own. At least, I can now tell if they have completed the quest, not started the quest, or if they have the quest (and which step they're on).
     
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Feldon

    Feldon Administrator Staff Member

    Interesting ok.
     
  9. Benj

    Benj New Member

    For those who are interested, I've published my quest tracker as an online web app. Each user can choose which characters they want to track. Selected characters are stored locally, so you don't have to type them in each time.

    Vexedence Tracker
     
    • Like Like x 1

Share This Page