1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on an MMORPG that will (probably) never be

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Anaogi, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

My semi-random train of thought started wandering back to Dream Park lately. If you're not familiar, it was a setting/series of books by Niven and...? Anyway, it was basically a huge sort of LARP theme park with crazy effects and such where several "games" went on at once and...honestly I can't do justice to how batshit the idea was for its time. The concept is pretty much superceded by "virtual spaces" such as, well, take a guess.

Anyway, there was a pen-and-paper RPG for it once. It did some interesting stuff with modular character design where there was a "core" that would be portable to all "settings", and "setting" or genre specific parts that only mattered in certain "settings". R Talsorian did it IIRC.

So where my brain was going was...what if there was an engine that could support something like this? Where you had a "core" character that could hop between settings/worlds, and had a different roster of setting-specific abilities in each one (which might or might not overlap in some cases). There's more to it that I'm too tired right now to go over in detail. Anyway, I wonder if there's a modern engine that could support such craziness? Or would someone have to cook something up that could handle it?

Just random thinking. Probably a thing that will never be, but sometimes it's fun to imagine.

• Informative Informative x 1