1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

They Break Winter Extravaganza?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Liv, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I wonder if Roxxxxxxxxxxly will answer my question.

(I predict no.)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Whales are playing a different sort of game. He/She who spends the most money wins :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

-makes whale noises-

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Fluff wale.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I think the whales are starting to surface over there - "Logic states that they need the cash injection for a NEW game" in wide-eyed breathlessness....

Well, to me (who has been around the business world for many years), logic states that they are wanting the balance sheet to look nice and healthy for the EOFY, to look as viable as possible to attract new interested parties. Sell off is my main impression.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Liv

Liv New Member

Quack! Quick there are now 2000 available for all the games :D

7. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

They couldn't get EQNext out the door with a team of 50 and tens of millions of dollars invested, but Holly's gonna make it happen with a shoestring team and $1.2m.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

This is not about a new game I would say as those thing require a whole lot more money to make. It is more than likely grab money before sunsetting something in the near future.

They can also say.....we have at least 4000 subscribers at the end of this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Fools and their money eh.
    I always wanted to try selling something stupid on an auction site and see if it made money.
    • A rinsed pet bottle ---> $10 + P&P Reuseable Water bottle (Water not included)
    • 10 yen coins cleaned with coca cola ----> $5 each + P&P Shiny 10 yen Coins!!
    • 2 bits of hand sized wood blocks ----> $50 + P&P Environmentally Friendly Fly killer
    • $300 + Tax Lifetime Subscription to a 16 year old game with a dubious future
    • Coloured String cut to various Lengths ----> $70 + P&P Colour Coded Waist Measurement Device
    • A Pack of Used Cigarette butts with nicotine gum attached tacked on----> $80 + P&P Stop smoking Aid
    • A tennis ball ----> $40 + P&P Dog Toy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Daaaaave

Daaaaave Member

This marketing strat is so old, that i may described in the Gilgamesh Epos.

1. Make a limited offer of units (say 4000) in a limited time frame.
    2. Tell every one after a short period of time that half of the stuff is sold out.
    At this point it does not matter if you really sold 1, 2, 10 or in fact 2000.
    You create a WOW-effect.
    3. After another time period you can say sold out.
    At this point it does not matter if are sold out, sold 100,200, 5000 or 6000 units.
    4. Create an extra offer of units.

The rest is written in stone...

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. azulkb

azulkb New Member

it's an operation that hides a scam.
    or else a desperate and short-term action. because new subscribers they will have little or no. So next year when it will be necessary to recover again cash .... last way will be to increase again ptw.

The hesitant players should not ask as a question, will the game be in 2 years. But what will it look like next year. A game still alive but with less interest, you will have nothing to say because you have already paid.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Looks like things are bad enough for PR to be in full 'spin mode'.

Mepps flat out called me a liar for pointing out the 70 layoffs/title cancellation/office closure.

• Shocked Shocked x 5
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I have a pretty good idea what they are up to.

$1.2MM is nothing for a company with 170 employees. As you stated, this won't fund squat.

Losing subs = losing cash shop revenue. Still if the average customer drops $1k/year into the shop, thats still only $4MM/year if they manage to get 4k people to buy this gimmick - chump change.

What I've been observing indicates to me that it's likely specific values on a spreadsheet have started to glow red, and we are seeing the beginnings of an exit strategy for some, or perhaps all of the titles.

The offer is 100% a gimmick intended to lock 4,000 customers in over the next 30 months. if DBG believed the company would be profitable after that, they wouldn't walk away from the sub revenue.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Mepps Community Relations

Tekka said:
    “Could you go into more detail, please?

https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/07/...er-round-of-layoffs-between-60-and-70-people/

Layoffs Hit Daybreak Games, Rumored at 70

edit to add links”
    From the quoted articles:

“"No, that is not correct,” according to the spokesperson.“Our Austin office is not closing.

“We are optimizing our structure to ensure we best position ourselves for continued success in the years to come. This effort has required us to make some changes within the organization and we are doing everything we can to support those impacted in this difficult time. As we look to improve efficiencies and realign resources, we remain focused on supporting our existing games and development of our future titles.””
    The rest of the rumor mongering is based on trolly tweets from an ex-employee who has no more information than you do. End of discussion on this, though.

Don't question the narrative.

Edit: They realize people can see them, right?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  16. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

As far as locking people in, once you donate your cash to DGC for this, they really have zero incentive to improve anything anywhere. In fact, if everyone went to this, they would have to monetize the cash shop 50 or 100 times over what it is now for a revenue stream.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I remember when I was a kid in the mid 70's when everything looked like badly developed 8mm film and Roger Moore was my favorite Bond. I'd go with my grandma to run errands and help her carry things (read: get out of the house and stop annoying my grandpa for a while) and everyone would go out of their way to be so very polite and courteous to each other. I remember my grandpa always stressing how important it was to be polite, not because it was expected by others, but because you should expect the best out of yourself. Real 'golden rule' type stuff but it stuck with me.

I think about how things were, oh so long ago, and wonder why that … person, has a job having anything to do with customer service without getting kicked in the ******* head.

Oh, yeah, that was the other reason to not be a jerk. Someone might eventually kick you in the ******* head.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

When they're telling folks to shut up and get in line with the narrative, they should also take a moment to review their own previous comments on the subject:

From this thread, when he locked it:
    More Daybreak layoffs | EverQuest 2 Forums

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, when I saw Mepps selling this:

Buy the 12 month to get the bonuses, then buy the lifetime and convert the 12 month to dbc.....I.....I.......I.....couldn't let that go.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Julesholland

Julesholland New Member

Aww Meeps just deleted my post, I only asked if someone was on the happy juice promoting a 500 dollar purchase....

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Shocked Shocked x 1