1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

New World?

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Castegyre, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I think we're going to check New World out since it apparently is not going to be so PvP focused now. I haven't really been keeping up on it but it reads like a game of Civ as an MMO. Maybe it'll suck but at least I can get an idea of what's up with Lumberyard. It's relatively cheap either way. /shrug

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

3. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

With PvP being optional and player housing being included, this looks like something I might check out.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Does anyone have information about the keyboard/mouse controls for this game? I have scoured the web and can't find anything specific. I can't play ESO because of the controls so I want to find out before buying it if this game has WASD/arrow key movement or if everything is mouse based with the spinning camera.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I don't know, but I did pre-order, since it launches on my birthday that comes with closed beta access, which begins in April.

I'm a terrible beta tester because I want to look at all the things, not play and try to break all the things early, but I'll stick my head in and report back what I find.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I highly recommend you take anything Tekka says with a grain of salt. Have it on good authority that her idea of "gaming" is eating cookies and buying fluff from the cash shop.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Umm, are you saying that's NOT how you're supposed to play these games? :oops:

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Oh no, to each their own!

Zhaanish was asking about key board, mouse controls etc. I felt clarity was in order, cause you know, one hand with a cookie and other on the mouse draining Castegyre's personal gaming (and food) budget funds.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

This makes it look pretty twitchy just in the aim and dodge. So even if it is traditional controls (which I doubt), I'm not sure I can handle all the movement. :/ It's impossible to say watching this video but the only option I might be able to do is magic.

11. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

The description of the weapon trees sounds a lot like an updated version of Asheron's call - which I really liked.

How fun movement and combat is for me, from how they described it, will depend on if the mouse is camera locked like ESO. I can do some dodge roll, and for all their talking about position and stuff, all the clips just showed a guy in front of another guy hitting or shooting the **** out of each other.

I don't know how to video, but when beta rolls around, the plan is still to poke at it and report back

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

We await your report with bated breath!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I'll be waiting on pins & needles for your info! I really really really need a new game, especially with this self-isolation stuff.

14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Bleah. I've been doing self-isolation for years. Mind you that's because depression instead of Chinabug, but still.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
  15. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It looks like I'd have to buy it and play it through Steam. Deal breaker, at least for now.

16. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Why through Steam and why is that a deal breaker? Just curious.

17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I have the game Titan Quest through both GOG and Steam. If I want to play the GOG version I just start the game and play it. I don't even have to use the GOG launcher or be connected to the internet. If I want to play the Steam version I have to log in to Steam which requires internet access or I cannot play the game (without performing some shenanigans).

Some years ago before they upgraded the electrical infrastructure near where we live we would sometimes have power outages a few times a month. Sometimes they would last for more than a day. If I only owned the Steam version of Titan Quest, an older game I could just as easily have pirated if I didn't want to throw a little money at the people still working on it, I would be screwed. The real life experience of feeling like I had been robbed of using something I purchased is one of the reasons I stopped getting anything through Steam.

18. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

I believe Steam has an offline mode. I have played games through Steam with no internet connection.
    Offline Mode - How To's - Knowledge Base - Steam Support

19. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Yes. I don't know (or care) how well it works now. It used to be a buggy, inconsistent mess that still didn't let you play all of your games. You still are gated by Steam.

20. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I refuse to have Steam on my machine. Crappy piece of coding that gives me nothing I need or want but makes my life hell by interfering substantially in the way I organise my machine installations and backups. And I'll never get over the concept of having to install online connectivity software to play offline games ....