1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

More Layoff's at DBG

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Dizzy, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  2. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

By the looks of it, their next big game is cancelled.

Ties in to what I heard the other day of one of the DBG staff had been spending majority of their time on something new, but has now been brought back to Core games

3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

This makes me curious.

4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

I'd take a wild punt and say that EQ3 or whatever it was due to be called, has been fully cancelled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Maybe it was the PvP event server.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Wonder what this means for Daybreak's new hotness PlanetSide 2: Battle Royale that they've been feverishly working on for the last 18 months.

So Smedley was outraged at pre Christmas layoffs. I replied...
    Layoffs are obviously shitty, especially around the holidays, but they are completely inevitable at this point. Again...there's only so far you can coast on a quarter tank of gas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Feldon

Smedley said 30% were laid off or about 70 people. That confirms that the company was at 240 employees (now at 170). The company had 900ish employees 10 years ago. This is not normal.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Bree over at MassivelyOverpowered said it wasn't EverQuest Next Next.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Ah ok, looks like it was the Austin studio rather than SD one.

Not sure we'll find out what that was for a while.

10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I think Feldon is on to it.

I'll also be surprised if eqnextnext see's the light of day.

I'll put money on wringing the existing titles dry while new mobile guy runs with the eq ip.

11. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Austin? Isn't that where Bethesda's unit that was responsible for the shambling clownshow that is Fallout 76? (Yes, I still play and like it, but DAMN, that's some drama around that title...)

12. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I find it hard to believe there are enough people interesting in the franchise or with enough good will for the people and companies behind the franchise to justify an EQ3 the Next, the 3rd Nextening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

You're probably right. EQ's strength was its community, and SOEBreak has thoroughly destroyed that of late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bougtr

bougtr New Member

IMO the biggest turning point in this game was the introduction of Smedbucks, and of coarse who could ever forget Smokehumper

15. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I have zero problems with a cash shop, as long as the cash shop doesn't help (or be required) for advancement. I'm currently having a great time in SWTOR, and LOTRO, and both have a cash shop, but the items are almost entirely fluff. In SWTOR, they are all fluff, in LOTRO, there are things to make travel easier. DBG though requires major purchases at the cash shop, even if subbed, to be competitive. That is 100% Pay To Win. And I refuse to Pay To Win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Cash shops = Great for Cosmetic only items. (See Fortnite).
    Cash shops = Awful for advancement items. (See EQ2).

Hopefully one day DBG might realise this and adjust. But I'm doubtful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Feldon

Ascend what you did there.

18. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

The problem is, even if the P2W stuff went away, you'd still have folks who bought their way into high power levels.

There's no way to get the poison out now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

20. Feldon

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/352106/Report_Daybreak_Games_lays_off_multiple_employees.php

Official Daybreak statement: