1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Loot Boxes

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

That is an encouraging ruling and I hope other countries in legislation will follow that precedent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

It'll certainly be interesting to see if this takes off. Belgium alone isn't changing anything, and China's regulations are too easy to get around. (Blizzard for example sells tiny amounts of currency that come with "free" lootboxes) But if this takes off across Europe then lootboxes may very well be dead whether North American or other Asian countries act immediately or not.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I think it's encouraging that several US states are considering legislation. Get a few of them on board and the US problem will take care of itself.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

The only problems there are:
    A) Trying to get a state legislator to understand anything not related to re-election and
    B) Trying to get state legislatures to not turn the idea into a Party v. Party fundscamming event.

:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lucus

Lucus New Member

hopefully this will build up steam and more countries will opt to stop scummy loot box behavior, when it comes to understanding technology and keeping up with it via laws politicians in general don't understand the issues and problems well enough to care what happens.

i don't care if it's a game item that alters gameplay or a cosmetic, if they want to sell ether of those they should come via direct purchases for an honest price and not an obscured, vague inflated price which varies from person to person depending on their rng luck, if they participate at all.

though i don't like power for cash items, people will judge games harshly that do sell game changing items for real cash.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

At the very least, they should be required to disclose the odds of winning.

But, I would rather just see these things go away.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Personally I don't mind if a company wants to use loot boxes to sell items that have no meaningful impact upon the game. When there is an alternative way to get them as well, even better.

For example in Overwatch, all you can get with Lootboxes are Skins/Emotes/Appearance based items, which have 0 effect on how to play the game. You can also earn loot boxes over time by playing the game, as well as any duplicates you get provide currency to buy them too.

I'm quite happy for companies to sell fluff/appearance items, to bring in extra funds to invest into the main game.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I don't mind Overwatch's system at all. It feels fair, legendary items are relatively common and alternate currency drops frequently. I do understand that it's still predatory but I really don't mind it personally.

Other games though I dunno, PUBG's lootboxes are pretty awful and I've heard there are games with far worse than PUBG's.

10. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

This has always been my issue with Lootbox reward systems.

Additionally, there is no guarantee - and even perhaps more concerning, no course of action, if, - that the lootbox solution is implemented properly and fairly. We already know and have seen that in-game documentation such as tooltips and Examine windows do not accurately reflect how gameplay mechanics work today.

If I as a consumer can't trust what I see on the screen, how can I be expected apply blind-faith to an RNG system that I have no visibility into if it is working properly or as intended?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Surprised no one came up with some sort of logger for one of these games to monitor lootbox rewards and feed them to a user ran database. Kind of like lootdb.com back in 'the day.'

12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I think the devs know EQ2's model isn't healthy or sustainable. I don't think they care.

• Agree Agree x 4