1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting statement from Kander about F2P and expansions

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Shmogre, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

In this thread on the DBforums about adding ToT to the free-to-play foster, Kander replied with this:

[​IMG]

(Dude has asked in-thread if this means nothing will ever be added again, but no clarification yet.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  2. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

To me that sounds ominous and could mean that the POP expansion will be the last one, and if so, then why bother adding to the F2P line up. They have been slowly whittling down EQ2 for a while now. The future for EQ2 is looking less hopeful all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Sigh...I'm feeling that too. Seeing the PAX and Austin Game Con booth pics just kind of deflated me... :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

could just mean they think they've added enough to free to play. some games only allow a few expansions to be free. others go all the way up to current expansion pack but lock out key features/dungeons/items. I've always thought DDO did this the right way, with allowing free players to do everything but being unable to unlock some dungeons on more difficult versions with better rewards. That way you can still participate and see the cool stuff others get, but be unable to equip it or use it or go in without people that pay for it.

hard to speculate on what direction this statement from Kander indicates without knowing further details. Also, Kander is infamous now for randomly throwing out statements without corroboration or any further data. Heck, he admits to outright lying.

[​IMG]

So, yeah. Unhelpful post is unhelpful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Jesus...I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but it's in the back of my head that they'd made an announcement at or around the time of the buyout that AoM would be the last one that would go free to play. I could be entirely wrong.

Regardless, it fits right in with their push to buy, buy, buy, sub, sub, sub - and having less and less incentive for non-recurring subscribers to play at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Agreed. And the rough part is that it is such a short, sharp statement...without clarification, it will only cause (more) confusion and uncertainty.

I am trying to keep my Pollyanna hat on and hope that it might mean they are going to buff up subscriber perks (maybe more of the IoR bonuses will make their way to the rest of the servers, as fast travel did) and put a bigger incentive on converting F2P accounts to subscription. Time will tell, though...

(heh, I typoed that as "Tim will tell"...whoops)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I take that comment exactly how he said it.

If you want access to content after AOM, you're gonna have to .buy the content

This is entirely consistent with the posture DBG has taken since CN bought the game.

Honestly, I'm pretty meh on this 'cause i don't f2p games - don't like all the restrictions. And really, eq2 gives access to a lot more that most f2p games do.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Added emphasis, this is what I want to address.

I'm not sure where this notion comes from in current year. Has it just been repeated so many times that folks believe it? What do they consider 'access'? What do they think should be part of the game, and what should be subscriber only in games that offer a hybrid model?

It's been my experience with three titles in the mmo market that I've played personally and extensively with a hybrid model that EQ2 is last place in every way for both access and subscriber benefits.

I have direct knowledge of a few other games via spouse that have hybrid which also rate higher in both categories.

I tend to subscribe to a game I'm actively playing but I'd rather be enticed to spend money, instead of punished for not spending money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

Kander used to be my favourite. Now, not so much. He just comes across as an arrogant pig in almost everything he writes.

I don't think it helps the game to speculate what it could mean. It could just mean they're stupid enough to think that all the f2p players will now sub and buy all the expansions.
    I sometimes wonder if they realise that a lot of the f2p accounts are subbers second, third and fourth accounts.

As for EQ2 giving more with f2p than other games, it doesn't, and particularly now there are so many other games out there.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right. Admittedly, I haven't f2p's any games for years, so I'm actually not a credible voice on that.

12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Please don't feel like I'm calling you out specifically, I'm really not. It's just a statement I see all the time, especially at the Other Place, that frustrates me and also intrigues me.

Regardless of frustration, I am actually interested in having a discussion about why folks think that. I'm stubborn, but relatively reasonable (I think!) :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Nah, it's all good. I was pulling up experiences I had years ago. I really have no idea what's out there today. Heck, when I bought ESO recently, I just bought the box and subscribed. So I don't even know how they are structured.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

You got the magic crafting bag of happy with your subscription - that alone is worth it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yup, that single feature means you will find almost NO f2p players in that game. A very smart incentive.

16. Hekktor

Hekktor New Member

So what are the good options if EQ2 goes away? I think at that point I'll just hang it up...given 13 years to this game.

17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

When I went looking around, I just hit up you tube and searched "Most popular mmorpg 2017" and "best mmorpg 2017". You'll return a bunch of streamers giving their opi ions end demonstrating features of the games, what they like, don't like, etc.

I ended up giving eso a shot and am having a good time with it.

18. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

How about listing those three titles so I can figure out how to answer you.

19. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

EQ2 vs ESO vs Rift - my own personal experience in regard to the hybrid subscription free model, which can be measured objectively. Not game play, which is entirely subjective.

20. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

It depends on what you're after: Raid? Small group content? Solo?

Does housing matter? Does wardrobe matter? If so, dyes?

Do you want subscription, hybrid, buy to play?