1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

index on last_update for character and guild collections please

Discussion in 'Census: EverQuest II' started by Quicktiger, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Quicktiger

Quicktiger Guest

If I apply a c:sort=last_update to searches I'm performing, the query takes a very, very long time and generally does not respond at all.  I suspect this is a painful field for the back-end.  Could an index be added to make sorting on this field possible?

2. Dedith

Dedith Guest

a list of all indexed fields on each collection would be nice, so we can build better queries.

3. Lantis

Lantis Guest

This is something Dan said he'd post after the Holidays.  Like most of us, he and the other SOE guys are currently out for the Holidays :)

4. Dedith

Dedith Guest

I must of missed that, thanks

5. Lantis

Lantis Guest

Something's odd with how the Station Forums (compared to the EQ2 Forums) keep track of posts you have already read.  Quite a few times I found posts I hadn't read, but which weren't showing as new posts for me.  I have to go back by date every time to ensure I didn't miss any posts.

6. Quicktiger

Quicktiger Guest

It's really quite a pain, and I suspect hard on the back-end server, without an index on any field one might want to query on, order by, or iterate through.

In general, without some fixed ordering or a transaction start/end, the c:start= and c:limit= options are unreliabile.  I doubt Sony will want us to open up transactions in a RESTful world ('cause then it would not be RESTful, really it'd be something else.)  That leaves iterating through long return lists with start/limit.  As one gets deeper into the list, however, the queries take longer and longer to return, until eventually they time out at the nginx gateway.

Also, without a fixed ordering using c:sort=, data is effectively random between queries.