1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

How do new players find out about EQ2?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Inire, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

I decided to try and be a new player. obviously a bit of tongue in cheek here. as usual.

Today I was given a link to a post in the official forums.

The link was

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/botters-on-fallen-gate.580961/

That thread was deleted. But there's some odd behavior in there... as the site redirected me to a login page!

Hmmm... ok, guess I could try the root forums, see if I get to a general DBG forum landing page, where I can get to the EQ2 ones.

Tried...

https://forums.daybreakgames.com

oops.... forbidden by....

https://forums.station.sony.com/forbidden.html

hm. Sony eh. okie dokie, guess I will try to find the official forums another way.

google time!

ah, ok, it's this...

EverQuest 2 Forums

whew. thanks.

man,if only there was a news site i could go to that would cater to everquest 2 users

*googles*

guess i could try eq2wire.

nope.

oh, i know, massively's got that guy mj who loves EQ2!

nope.

i'll go to eq2library.com and get some outdated advice on multiattack then!

(actually that site has some good info, but humor demands its sacrifices!)

i'll try the front page for DayBreak Games! there was a recent announcement of a expansion i'm sure it's....

*scroll scroll scroll*

i'm sure it's here

*scroll scroll*

i'm sure i'm just missing it somehow

AH HA! There is it is! news from .....

wait...

that can't be right

i had to open 5 "see more" pages and go back to 2016 to see an everquest announcement?!?!?

man. i wish i was joking.

hey, maybe it's a game for hipsters
    ya know
    i liked it before it was cool
    the company HATES us
    *nods*

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I was torn between a snicker and a head desk.

According to an infamous former community manager, they ARE advertising, it's just in places you wouldn't see it.

I suggest the whiteboard at your local fro-yo shop.

:cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

When we complain about the game?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Banned!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

Surprised I'm not banned from here and many other places. lol

6. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Who does and doesn't get banned from the EQ2 forums (and discord) seems... erratic.. at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Semperfidelis

Semperfidelis Member

I've often had that thought myself. When I mention that I play EQ2, to people I can trust not to go "eww" at the thought of any MMO, it's always "it still exists?" I can't tell you how much it hurts me to heart that. Some of the most amusing times I've had in games is found in this game. I'm still waiting for the sublime moment when the world realizes the amount of cultural... idk, memory? is invested in MMO's. I mean the fishing. Few games don't include fishing or some similar thing. The holidays, the environmentalism in the Faydark, the Imperialism of the Iksar story.... if there is a human (trope?) experience type, then it can likely be found here in these games. They've taken over the job of storytellers, and maybe even some books. I know I haven't hungrily browsed in a fantasy section of a bookstore in years. I'm satisfied, also way behind in my grinding... must grind more... lol.

The lack of advertising is really sickening. I feel like using kickstarter for a crowdsourced purchase of online and radio ads. "Hi, I'm Mick and I'm here to tell you what I do on a Saturday night... " Actually it might be funny to do it as an AA theme. "... so if you, like me, struggle with fantastic thoughts that seem to have no outlet, come join us and we'll help you satisfy the need for magic... and cool graphics of fire-breathing dragons."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Archangel

Archangel New Member

How do gamers find out about EverQuest II (EQ2)? Leaving out the DBG puffery advertising, they do so through game articles and WOMM. Why Word Of Mouth Marketing Is The Most Important Social Media

The catch being game articles describe EQ2 as either an old old MMO or a dying online game. Or ... not ... at ... all. Few people buy any product at the end of it's shelf life. Well, except for the frugal, collectors, and the like.

Oh, and why are EverQuest II streams no longer on Twitch*? Which is an excellent self-advertising venue reaching MILLIONS OF GAMERS. A self important someone realized a certain Somebody** now works for Amazon.

* Twitch Audience is Bigger Than HBO or Netflix
    19 October 2017
    "When Amazon purchased Twitch for almost one billion dollars in 2014, it reflected the growing popularity of the livestreaming platform as watching other people play video games became a common pastime. But few may have expected Twitch to overtake other media giants.

According to a new report from industry analysis firm SuperData Research, Twitch now has a larger audience than HBO or even Netflix. In 2016, 185 million people tuned in to gaming streams on Twitch, in comparison to HBO’s 130 million viewers and Netflix’s 93 million. The amount of Twitch viewers is expected to grow significantly this year, too, with SuperData estimating that viewership will rise to 212 million."
    Twitch Audience is Bigger Than HBO or Netflix

** Amazon hires John Smedley to lead new San Diego studio
    15 February 2017
    Amazon hires John Smedley to lead new San Diego studio

Ah, but brand new posting IDs claim DBG shifted (free) advertising to Facebook. They did.

"Chatting/RPG
    MMO Estimated Reach: 1,063,660 people who live in the United States, are age 18 and older, and like:"
    "everquest, everquest 2, everquest II, everquest two"
    "wow"
    Killer Facebook Ads: Master Cutting-Edge Facebook Advertising Techniques
    Killer Facebook Ads: Master Cutting-Edge Facebook Advertising Techniq…

How's that working for ya?

/*

Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
    https://www.AMAZON.com/Word-Mouth-Marketing-Companies-Talking/dp/0983429030

9. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

I read through that article about word of mouth media.

there's a key part to it, on the second page. I'll quote it.

"Are there any consistent characteristics that successful WOMM campaigns tend to have?

Keep in mind that a good WOMM strategy is credible, social, repeatable, measurable and respectful. Dishonesty is NEVER acceptable."

and just leave it there.

• Agree Agree x 1