1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

GPU overheating - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Rosyposy, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

My GPU has recently started overheating (spikes as high as 217F) when I play Everquest 2. It's fine otherwise. I'm puzzled because the GPU didn't used to overheat. I updated the GPU drivers and tweaked performance settings down with no effect. The computer has three fans, two of which run in the 3K RPM range; the GPU fan has always run about 15 RPM. I know this isn't really a game machine, but it's done ok up until the last few days.
    Specs: Win10 64-bit, AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 8.0GB RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 610
    Please help!

2. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

Might get some can of air made for electronics and blow away any dust inside the computer and around any fans. Might even take the video card out and see if its fan and surrounding shroud is caked in dust/lint and if so blow it out with the can of air.. Oh, be sure to turn off computer before doing all this.

Might also make sure any heat sinks on the video card haven't fallen off or something.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Uyaem

Uyaem Member

Check that the fan is actually spinning. I nce had the very same problem with Eq2, and as it turned out, the socket of the fan (cheap plastic crap) had simply disintegrated, and the rotor was hanging down. :D

But you say the fan used to spin at 15 RPM? That can't be right. That's a quarter of a rotation per second, which would do nothing. Could it have been 1500 RPM?

• Like Like x 1
  4. katz

katz New Member

When I had this problem, I found one of my fans needed to be replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

Yeah, I once had a sticker melt off a fan and sucked into the shroud. Luckily, I was able to fish it out. Bad sticker glue I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

Nope. It's been 15 or 16 RPM ever since I got the computer. Glad to know that it should be more! I've ordered a replacement GPU and will be mostly offline until it arrives and I can get it installed.