1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Get Off My Lawn

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

In 2009, our raidwide DPS as a beginner raid guild taking down Tairiza the Widow Mistress (2nd raid target in Kunark) was 45k. I was proud of 8k parses on my ranger.

Now rangers are doing 100,000,000,000?

That's 12.5 million times player power growth in 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Just another sign of the approaching Apocalyse!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Feldon

I was curious and put it into an exponent calculator. 8000 ^ 2.8 is 100 billion. If we hit 512 billion then that's 8000³.

4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I am sure some of the raiders will hit that in a few months with better gear, if there is any...and im sure there is... somewhere... got to have that carrot on the end of a stick, after all!

5. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

When the carrot becomes the point of an annoying chase instead of the reward for running a race you were meant to enjoy.

But you need that carrot, because the next chase is even more annoying.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

It's not a proper expansion if overall dps doesn't scale up at least 10x the size of the last one.

They should have done a huge stat crunch many years ago, but then everyone would be like "I was able to do 100k DPS before the expac and now I only do 5k!".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

And this is why lag is so horrid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

WoW just had its second stat crunch in its life span and not once have I seen anyone make that argument.

The 2nd stat crunch did have some scaling issue with old content, but most of it was fixed without even taking the servers down with hotfixes across zones almost daily and everything was fine after a week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I remember when the Warlock benchmark was 4k dps.

Those were the days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Also, I'm pretty sure the ranger weapon of choice these days is the M-28 Davy Crockett.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

My ranger would like one! I'll get her the last 10 levels and some Ascension to help get it! Who drops that? I presume Nagafen on epic mode! *grins*

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Feldon

Am I the only one who looks back at TSO with rose-colored glasses? Not the raid zone geometry. That pissed me off. Using sharp corners against players who are forced to use your broken movement system is just horseshit. I mean how TSO was an overlay on Kunark and only moved the needle on player power by 2-3x. For 2 years, Kunark had drops that remained useful for both heroic players and raiders.

Now we are leapfrogging 40x in power every 6 months. This started with Skyshrine:
    https://eq2wire.com/2012/04/19/the-skyshrine-gear-reset-putting-all-your-eggs-in-one-update/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Inyala

Inyala New Member

It started with DoV actually. That's when they made the first overland solo quest gear replace previous high end raid gear.

They also started with putting both potency and crit bonus on all gear then. As these stats have a multiplicative effect on dps, it made gear upgrades appear smaller than they actually were. Thanks to that, they had to increase the strength of HM raid gear during the expac. And they kept on going from there adding more and more things that makes gear look weaker than it is and then going around and increasing the speed of gear progression so that they can give players new gear which looks like it's a good upgrade.
    Stat overcaps, fervor, base stat increases, potency mitigation (or whatever you want to call it). And I'm sure to be forgetting a few.

TSO was great (even though it had its flaws). Don't need rose-colored glasses to see that.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Feldon

I remember that Othmir gear completely blowing away SF raid gear. And all the heroic zone progression quests were broken for 2 weeks so everyone just ran Public Quests. The entire EQ2 community would have been rioting if it weren't for those 2 Public Quests in Velious. Shame the 3rd PQ never went live.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I really enjoyed TSO. I started falling out of like with the game in DoV.

An interesting comparison to make here, go log in to EQ. Go to any of the old world content, say Velious or older, and farm one of the quicker drops people used to camp when the content was young. Now, compare that drop when you get it, which probably has the same stats as it did almost two decades ago, to some of the trash loot added to the tables in more recent years. That trash is probably better than the best gear people could get from any content for several years of the game. For me as someone who played from beta off and on for years, it makes the whole thing seem neglected and pointless.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

FTFY! *giggles* And yes, I saw the artwork and visuals for EQNext that they were willing to show. So it was cartoony, it could be just to make the visuals available to test the characters and actions. Of course, I lost most of my interest seeing Teir'dal with horns. The story written explained it, but I still hated it immensely. But it will not be... not under SoE/DBG/Russian corporations, anyway.

I'll shut up now before I say something that gets me banned from this forums!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

EverQuest 2 is actually a Dragon Ball Z MMO.

18. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

TSO was my golden age. I earned my first epic weapon (warlock) the night before it dropped. TSO was when I started raiding and my defiler became the machine he was before the Twilight of the Shaman. I could craft useful stuff for people and dream of getting decent drops in Heroic content (remember Najena's Ring of Readiness, anyone?) Everything after was a pale shadow.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Feldon

The cartoon look of EQN was encouraged by outsiders hired from Curt Shilling's defunct company. They pretty much ignored the EQ and EQ2 teams.

• Informative Informative x 5
  20. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

The 'Lion King' look of the Kerra was what turned me off completely.

• Agree Agree x 5