1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2Wire EQ2Wire: Aug 13 2008-September 8 2017

Discussion in 'The News Feed!' started by Feldon, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Feldon

Feldon Guest

After 9 years, it is time for me to call it quits on this EQ2Wire News site.

I feel I have always put players first, and that choice has repeatedly cost me support I might have otherwise gotten from the EQ2 team and Sony Online Entertainment. At the last SOE Live, I was jokingly branded “chief ****-stirrer” by the Community Council for my constant vigilance of issues affecting customers, and my frequent and often uncomfortable requests for accountability. I have often cast a bright spotlight on business and development choices that I felt negatively affect players. Even though all that, a mutual respect had been maintained for 7 years. And for every negative article, I spent as much time (or more) promoting Game Updates and Expansions and providing players with up-to-date information whenever possible.

A great many other things are going on in my life which bring me great satisfaction, from growing heirloom tomatoes, to judging and preparing competition BBQ, to developing circuit boards from Arduino projects. With limited time, something had to give. With my deteriorating relationship with Daybreak Games, and the fact I no longer play EverQuest II, that decision has come into sharp focus over the last few months. The hardest part has been the idea that I will be letting players down. All I’ve ever wanted to do, for 9 years writing this site and 7 years flying to Las Vegas and writing about this game, is to help people. I wish Norrath well and hope that the next expansion is successful and that players out there step up and document it and help other players.

I will continue to maintain and update the EQ2U Players site, which still receives over 30,000 character lookups per day, as long as the EQ2 Census service remains available.

Continue reading...

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
  2. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're moving on. I can understand your reasons, but eq2wire and your contributions will be sorely missed

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Our loss, hopefully your gain. Wishing you the best...you deserve it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Sorry to see you go Feldon but I understand that it is time for you to move on.

Personally EQ2Wire and particularly EQ2U has been extremely helpful to me when I was playing. Spent many many hours in eq2u min/maxing my necro :).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

Feldon, thank you for all of your efforts throughout the years.

From a selfish standpoint I am really sad, but also happy for you that you are ready to move on.
    It sounds like this is a very healthy decision for you.

Happy Trails

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

There was a nice thread thrown up on the official EQ2.forums, consisting of people saying thank you to Feldon and wishing him well, but it's gone now :(

Ah well ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I appreciate it guys. :) I read most of the now deleted thread. The lack of basic decency over at Daybreak now is stunning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Hi Feldon! I am only going to post on here from now on. Thanks for everything and for keeping every thing up!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

Just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts and help you've given me with the Census questions I've had. Yeah, I suspect these forums might see a bit more action. Thanks for keeping EQ2U going. I use that a lot. Sigh...

• Like Like x 6
  10. Malleria

Malleria Member

Absolutely appalling that they would delete the thread on the official forums. Their new community "coordinator" is a joke.

Best of luck to you Feldon, and thanks for everything you've done. I really believe if it weren't for eq2wire and eq2u this game wouldn't have lasted this long.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

All the very best in everything you do Feldon, you've done a smashing job and will be sorely missed.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

I can't even begin to imagine what justification was used to remove the thread from the official forums :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I'd guess "off-topic", "questioning moderation", "unproductive"...the standards. :(

I think the demise of the last big fansite would warrant a "so long and thanks for all the fish". No matter how it ended or why, it was a huge part of the community for many years. *Feldon* was a huge part of the community for many years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Looks like this thread may be allowed a longer life (at least for now). A few "the other thread was deleted, this one will be too" and less-complimentary-towards-moderation comments have been deleted, but the few others have been left alone so far.

Hopefully it's allowed to stay up to help the word get around and to give people a chance to pass on their thanks to Feldon for his years of service to the game and the community. I guess time will tell...

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

Lol Shmogre I went back in and edited out my "I hope this thread stays up" at the beginning of my post there. TY for the heads up, I don't want to be responsible for having it shut down.

That isn't a rage quit goodbye thread, it simply allows people to express their gratitude and appreciation to the best fansite operator I have ever seen. Feldon's contribution to EQ2 can't be overstated, and I am so grateful he is continuing to support EQ2U players.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Chocoholic

Chocoholic New Member

BTW Feldon ... not sure if you are keeping these forums up, but I came over here specifically to join and begin posting, sorry that I waited too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I should have launched the forums when RadarX went on the rampage and banned me. Would have gotten a lot more people over here. And since that time, neither Community nor the EQ2 team have done much to win people back to the official forums.

They don't have a Kiara or Luperza working there now. Nobody with that kind of charisma. Instead they've got Roxxy who was in elementary school when I started this site. Someone decided to give her a machine gun and minimal training. Great combination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

the new...person....is what chased me over here. smh. any question about an issue is likely to be met with....that's a negative comment....ban!

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Deezy

Deezy New Member

This is the issue imo. She seems nice enough, BUT she doesn't have the experience and has been given too much power off the bat.

Since Luperza left Community has sucked. Radarx.. Roshen.. both awful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

She is cheap and that's the important bit for DB :)

• Agree Agree x 3