1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer’s Letter: Enter the Den of Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Was Eric Piestro? Never knew his real name.

Ahh ok, possibly time and a dodgy recollection (can't remember what I did yesterday, half the time) may have resulted in a more rosy memory than it actually was.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

Your math speculating number of accounts makes me laugh.

I can do the same.
    857 people online in Discord currently.
    Let's say 1% of accounts actually use Discord, so 857 /.01 = 85,700 accounts!

How about this one.
    5078 views on maintenance port in Official Forums Server Maintenance - January 28, 2020 | EverQuest 2 Forums
    Let's say 5% of accounts actually use the Forums, so 5078/.05 = 101,560 accounts!

Until Daybreak actually releases their numbers, we have no idea.

3. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually, we COULD do analysis based on the census feeds, but they're SOOO obsessive about hiding eq2 numbers they've said they'll shut down eq2 census if anybody does that kind of data analysis on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Apparently you missed the clearly articulated language "guesstimate". Secondly the guesstimate is entirely plausible. And lastly, I'm less interested in the actual number than the year-year-change for live servers, which is the context of this post, and part of something I comment on (briefly) every year.

it's not rocket science. Wait a couple months, count up the number of max level toons on live, divide by a guesstimated average of 4 toons per account. Obviously doesn't include low level crafting alts, etc.

Either way, if I caused you to laugh, well, you're welcome.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Drona

Drona New Member

They are really daft on this. You don't need census to get a decent player number.

We know there are about 60 raid guilds around. Say average 30 people for raid guild gives you 1800 active raiders. Lets round that up to 2000. If you are not raiding in EQ2, I am not sure what else you are doing? Anyway lets say 2000 none raids, so we have total of 4000 people playing eq2! I think thats a good guess without the census !

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock the game down as I still play it and enjoy it for what it is but not sure why they don't say we have around 4k to 5k players.... Not all MMO need to have millions of players.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Why don't car dealerships want to tell people about how a car was totaled and rebuilt? Or home owners don't want to disclose how many times their basement flooded? If the truth is known the value plummets.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Really, the only one who seems to think hiding population data matters is Longdale. It's not like the people still sticking around give a crap, and it's not like it matters to previous customers either (see Rivervale).

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I go by the Steam Charts often, even though Steam doesn't include anything but Steam support, and by Steam, SWTOR is doing very well, with on average 7 to 10 times the number of player on EQ2. Ditto LOTRO, with 5 to 7 times the average number of players as EQ2. The EQ2 charts have been so consistent, it looks like only the serious die-hards are sticking around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

No problem. Your guesstimate sucked is all I'm saying. :)

PS. 4198 views at update notes from about a year ago Update Notes: Tuesday January 29, 2019 | EverQuest 2 Forums so that must mean the game has more accounts than last year! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I dub thee: Oranito

:D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Hey, I still check in on the "Official Forums", and I haven't subbed, or played for years. There are a lot like me, hoping to see some honest, real news, and not BS spin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Does viewing the update notes require you have a sub?
    Do you suppose there is any correlation to forum views (and discord activity for that matter) connected to the marketing push to former customers from last summer/fall?

Aside from actually data mining the population from census data (which Longdale has forbidden), the only way to get any sort of feel for how many paid an active accounts there are is to query toons on eq2u. Take the number I have +/- 1,000 (doesn't really matter), and that's probably in the ball park.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

I dub thee: Tekuli

Really? The point is his number was just a guesstimate. So was mine. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously as an official number.
    We don't know what the number is...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I think the real point is, most companies release the actual number of active gamers, and DBG/DPG consistently refuses to. To the point, of threatening to cut off the Census data if anyone should even think about harvesting actual player numbers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Sadly, I can award you know points. Unlike yourself and Benito, Fuli and I don't 'present' with the same demeanor, use the same arguments (down to the same, or reeeeally similar words and phrasing) and post structure.

Not to mention the clear choice for such a power merge would be Fukka.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Do they? Outside of Blizzard I'm not aware of many other companies that just straight up give out player numbers. And let's be honest Blizz only does it as marketing. "30 million people have played Overwatch, you should too!"

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

That's probably why Longdale doesn't do it. Bethesda throws their numbers around. Last year or so, was around 9MM subs for ESO alone.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1