1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer’s Letter: Enter the Den of Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

"And you can tell that because coincidentally, each of these studios suddenly has something in development."

OR! It could just be a prosperous developer conducting business as usual.

Conspiracy fake news shill media confirmed. o_O

• Funny Funny x 6
  2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I really shouldn't drink coffee while reading these threads.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Longdale is always dropping this little insinuation, and me being the humanitarian I am, I will as I am want to do, translate Longdale into english. For example:

Fading: "So is there another game in development?"

Holly: "I can’t talk about what’s in development. But I promise you there is a future for EverQuest. I promise you."

Translation: Holly: "No."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Feldon

There have been discussions about EQ3 inside the company since the Daybreak changeover. To my knowledge, nothing has been greenlit. We'd know. They'd be hiring 50 people.

Holly stepped back from day-to-day on EQ and EQ2 a couple years back while Lauren McLemore handled all that. Presumably that time was spent on high level stuff and trying to get enough of a EQ3 plan put together that someone at Daybreak or CN would be willing to put down the millions needed just to initiate development.

Lauren left in March 2019 for Epic Games. Presumably Holly took back the reins of EQ and EQ2 at that point.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

"New Development" = "We have some ideas on a Microsoft One Note white board."

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

If one of their ideas were to introduce a worse version of the World of Warcraft mission table, one of the most hated features of modern WoW, ill say they succeed to standing ovations and I cant wait to see what the future brings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I had 2 friends who asked me to play WoW with them. One on the Classic server and one on live. So I activate my old account for one month and would do more if I had enough fun. Heard in emails from them "Great, see you in game" Never did. After 2 weeks of silence, I canceled my account and stick to my weird x rated niche game. I have friends there and though leveling is boring, the social interaction is... interesting.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I'm super out of touch, but given all of the faces I don't recognize in the team picture I wouldn't be surprised if they have *something* going on. Maybe some people on the existing teams are pulling double-duty, too.

9. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Honestly I would love if a non-garbage publisher picked up Darkpaw Games and gave EverQuest a second life, but I'm not holding my breath. The EverQuest name just doesn't carry the same weight it used to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Feldon

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

If you can stomach paying, EQ1 is doing pretty well, and they have handled that franchise MUCH better then EQ2.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  12. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

LoL!
    I think my wife would have issues if I even tried an x-rated game!
    My main gaming rig (all four screens) are in our living room.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Feldon

I tweeted:

The traditional model of MMO development has been to put together huge teams (75-100 people), spend tens of millions of dollars, and then in the run-up to launch, lay off most of them. This is cruel and leads to rushed games.

There just aren't that many MMOs being developed these days, as it's such a massive gamble and if there are any delays or hangups, then you have a floor of artists twiddling their thumbs like on EQNext. EQN hung its hopes on player-made content and failed.

I don't know what model would replace this approach. EQ2 already has its character design outsourced. The Bixie reveal at the last Fan Faire and was a fan favorite. Maybe that's where the MMO industry needs to go. Paying 100 people California rates is untenable.

Imagine teams of artists available from around the world for hire as MMOs gear up for specific content, and then they just switch to another MMO as needed. Artists working their guts out SHOULD have job security. But maybe the future of MMOs will take a more global approach.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Could get her to play and you just be with your wife *grins* Though forced assaults are known to happen. But that is warned on the main website.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I've tried playing EQ1 but I couldn't get into it at all. Maybe because it's old? I usually like older games though so I dunno, but something just wasn't clicking for me.

I'm not opposed to giving it another shot, but honestly after what Daybreak did to EQ2 I don't exactly like the idea of giving them more money even if it's for a different game. Especially not when I could try ESO or WoW again, or even go back to GW2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I played EQ1 from beta until EQ2 came out. I really enjoyed my time there but I have zero interest in returning at this point. I agree with you I'm happy with LOTRO for now - for which I pay zero money since I have a lifetime sub. I'm not going to give Darkpaw a dime unless I hear the masses raving about how awesome a game is which I haven't heard in years.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Sidenote:

It appears a couple of frequent DBG apologists are beside themselves with frustration that Dreamweaver is not letting them manipulate him into removing forum content and sentiment that conflicts with their goals.

Edit:
    Just added my first ignore ever on the OF. Won't see that person here either.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Benito

Benito Banned

I guess you are referring to Gillymann? He couldn't handle the heat.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

...complete with major martyr complexes.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Benito

Benito Banned

Open, intellectually honest discussions please.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1