1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Do EQ2 Characters have a Luck/RNG Constant?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, May 22, 2017.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Do EQ2 Characters have a Luck/RNG Constant? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

As 'streaky' as the RNG seems to be I assume there is a 'seed' of some kind linked to your character. But it could change per zone, the only people who know won't say. right?

and I want to see other's replies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I have a lot of luck, sadly it's all bad.

I'd like to think it's pure RNG, but I'm not so sure.

4. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

My familiar RNG has gotten worse. Haven't seen a cage in days and doing all the things that can drop one. But, computer generated random numbers are never truly random.. always based on "something".

5. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

I think they let us all get a few a familiars in the few days after release to give us a small taste, then nerfed the drop rate right afterwards. Just like drug dealers... "The first hit is free."

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Nommi

Nommi Member

Feldon.....I asked that question in the forums and got my fingers slapped by a dev. I have rotten luck...purely rotten dice! Way too many single digit rolls or if I do roll a bigger number I always get beat by 1...seriously...if I roll a 95 you can be sure someone in the group will roll a 96. It's a running joke in my guild because of how poorly my dice numbers are for random rolls and to expect to win anything that someone else needs too is pretty much a zero chance for me. Every toon on my account is like this. Sometimes I get lucky...OMG....I almost faint over the shock if I win an item even if the item is crap. While I was informed by the dev that there is no luck factor coding per toon or per account I'm not buying it. Of course there is coding involved - how stupid do they think I am...the game is all about code. If they do not have coding in place to predetermine your toon/account luck factor then their code is broke because when a person runs 3-4 zones back to back with the same group and wins nothing then something doesn't add up in my book. Thank god for what drops from the mission daily/weekly or my toons would be **** out of luck.

True story.....one time many years ago while duo'ing in SoS with a guildie I commented that I couldn't even win a bag of ****. He laughed at me and said I was exaggerating. Then he started to watch the random rolls on loot and sure enough....he was winning everything, even the bags of ****.

So when a dev blows me off as if the issue is imaginary I call BS.

7. Feldon

I wouldn't expect Bishka to come here and enlighten us on what he meant with his threats to "expose" the truth about an RNG variable (before his thread got nuked). He came into the #eq2wire chatroom and smeared feces like a crazed monkey, accusing Errrorr of conspiring against him and working with developers to make sure his class abilities get nerfed "since GU64". I hope there is good medical coverage where he lives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

9. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

Last night I was in the mood for a bit of harvesting. I put on my harvesting gear, switched my AA spec, and off I went. All the while I kept my eye on channel for PQ's.

KP popped, I went to zone, died a few times, we killed the pita dude, I got the MYTH HAT! Squeeee!
    Fens popped, I went, we conquered, I got the fabled charm! Woah, wtf.

I had done both with my harvesting gear / AA spec on. I had a giggle with another player that the rare % on my harvesting gear must of done it. .... /ponders :oops:

After I switched my gear (/facepalm) I went to JW, he died, I got a plate helmet. Oh look a plate helmet, my luck is back to normal, I'M A MAGE! :mad:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

I don't even know who he is :(

I hope he comes back though, it gave me more entertainment than EQ2 has in months.

11. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

Well after several days finally got one to drop. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I have a guildy who has the best luck with loot rolls in groups, so much so that we have a standing joke about "rolling LuckyToon's dice". But on the flip side, they have yet to get the helm, charm, or weapon from the PQs while some of us have even gotten multiples, which we then joke about how they have better "group luck" than "solo luck".

I have also suspected the "increased drops when first introduced" scenario, but like many things RNG-related, I can't tell if it's just confirmation bias. It *felt* like I got more incarnadine and shadowquartz keys when the expac first launched, it *felt* like I saw Familiar cages drop in the first few days and then fewer after, and so on. But it's hard to prove those feelings...

• Like Like x 1
  13. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

My key luck has definitely gone south, but the sample size is so small you can't say 'aboslutely' that it has been changed

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

My infuser and accolade luck has been fantastic however... :rolleyes:

15. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

Wi Flag from Asheron's Call

So, yes, this type of thing definitely exists. and it probably exists in some way/shape/form for the Everquest games as well. True RNG is very hard without good RNG Generation systems, and those really haven't existed in affordable platforms until recently.

Additionally, I have heard that the "seed" for zone loot is created at the time the zone record is created, using some information about who zoned in and a few other things (my memory is hazy, the only note I have on this says "name, character ID and class when zone is created causes loot?"). But that was at an older Fan Faire, and not sure how accurate it is as it was an off the cuff comment from Timetraveling.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Bishka is an ass. He's got nothing of any value to say.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

I suspected they had rigged RNG for Landmark when they released bunny pets. You could buy them, or have a rare chance of obtaining one from killing an elite mob.

Several players got a bunny the first day of release. I on the other hand, blazed through over 600 caverns with no success. I complained on the forum and only one player found a bunny after that. It was a load of bull. Developers had the audacity to claim they were monitoring drops and marketplace prices so they could increase/decrease based on popularity or rate of acquiring. Just a stall tactic and they did jack squat until the game shut down. I'm not totally disbelieving Gninja, but his post that staff can make changes on the fly for PG sounds eerily similar.

I tried goading Bishka into posting his "proof" but he instead lashed out at Errrorr and posted images that would obviously get his thread deleted.

So far I've gotten 10 KP helmets, 2 (1 was LORE-empty) spectral hearts, and zero statue swords. I ran JW PQ more times than Fens and KP combined. Zero Planar fragment thingies. I've probably done close to or over 500 PQs by now. :mad:

18. Feldon

I'm so glad they're trying to ban that nonsense, at least in China. Don't count on any consumer protection laws in the US for the next 3 1/2 years.

19. Nommi

Nommi Member

OMG....Asheron's Call Wi flag....that brings back old memories....yes...it existed even though the developers denied it for years. They finally fixed it.