1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Connection Forcibly terminated. Following Alerts.

Discussion in 'Census: Planetside 2' started by Bakunda, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Bakunda

Bakunda Guest

Hey I'm trying to use a .NET web sockets library called WebSocketSharp to connect to the Census and listen for Alerts (used for an automated alert betting system in twitch) but whenever I receive a payload from SoE it forcibly terminates the socket connection, I'm wondering if perhaps WebSocketSharp doesn't use the proper handshaking technique. I don't expect you to look up WebSocketSharp, rather I'd like to know the situations that would happen to forcibly disconnect a web socket client.

Also note that when I connect I have confirmation that the socket is connected so I'm a bit stumped as to why when receiving payloads it would terminate the connection.

2. Feldon

Feldon Guest

Census is a standard HTTP web server, providing data in XML or JSON formats upon request. I can't think of a reason why it would keep the socket open after sending its data as no further communication is needed.

WebSockets is something very new (I had to Google it) and is specifically designed for high availability interactive web services like chat rooms, browser games, and other web applications that require realtime bidirectional communications. Given the potential demands on the server, including CPU usage and network bandwidth for thousands of listeners, it just seems unlikely to me that Census would ever support it.

3. Jhett12321

Jhett12321 Guest

4. airmetforums

airmetforums Guest

Yes, for ps2 event data I do encourage you to use the websocket api Jhett pointed out. There is a test page here http://census.daybreakgames.com/ps2-websocket.html that shows the service is working as expected with a js client. I think the problem must be with your client implementation. I'm definitely not a .NET programmer, sorry I can't help more.

5. Feldon

Feldon Guest

Well, learn something every day!